SCSBOA Division 4 predictions

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

SCSBOA Division 4 predictions

Post by flutemom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:07 am

As there's already threads on division 1 and 6, why not a look at division 4A?

Besides predictions, what are you thoughts about the bands haven't been in the championships the last couple of years, what about the bands that didn't make it in -- were there surprises here based on the comps you've been to or the videos you've watched?

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: SCSBOA Division 4 predictions

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 am

Well to those bands that have not been there in the last couple of years I have to say Congratulations to them and every other band. As far as the bands that didn't make it I go back to the point system and the way bands are picked for champs (top 3 scores), which is why I still feel SCSBOA should have a prelim day for only one division (all the 4A at the same event for ex.) the top 12 will then attend champs the next week. This way we don't have to talk about who should have made it, or what do you think about the ones that did make it. As far a predictions well, I have to say William S. Hart, Warren, and Del Norte are your top 3.

kilted1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by kilted1 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:10 pm

I've kept a close eye on the 4A this year since I'm an alumni to Granada hills. Disappointed they didn't make championship this year. I think it's the first time they haven't attended. But it's a close call for 4A this year. I'm rooting for West ranch they beat Hart with there music score when they tied at the Valencia competition. But yet again it could be anyone's warren has a strong show as well and Santa Monica is getting really clean too! So about championship I also wish the would do a prelims top 15 isn't working when also have so many bands in one single division. Not fair. Hopefully eventually scsboa will see that and make it happen! Good luck everyone!

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Well, if more people keep talking about prelims it might happen.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:03 pm

6yr.bandvet wrote:Well, if more people keep talking about prelims it might happen.
I actually think the prelims/finals idea is SMART. Here's why: you have a "rogue show" (don't tell me that it doesn't happen...it does) where 1A bands are scoring much higher than all the other shows, and then these groups have a much better shot at the SCSBOA Championships than all the other groups. It's not fair. Let's just call it what it is.

The better way to do it...and well, there's lots of "better ways"...is to take the top 24-30 bands and have them compete in "prelims" the weekend before finals, where the top 10-12 bands make finals. Another way to do it would be like the ATP Tour (tennis), where certain tournaments are "worth more" than other tournaments. (For example, a Tuesday night show might be worth 10 points, and a "big" show like Savanna might be worth 30, thus encouraging most of the better small groups to vie for an invitation to Savanna, etc.) The final way I can think of, which may be hardest, is "regionalize" the prelims contests. (For example, the best bands in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties compete and then send the top 4-5 bands from their county/counties to semi-finals.)

Alan

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Interesting. So the point being something has to change. I think prelims could work. What were the entries for each class trying to reach champs?