Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

A Must see performance from Sky View marching band

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:58 am

https://youtu.be/0qdfbB70Ck8
I was very much inspired to watch this performance. I am going to St. George this weekend and wanted to get a quick view of some bands. This just shows the concentration and understanding of each band/guard member. They were given the option to perform again but they chose not to.

If the link doesn't work look up Sky View marching band lights out performance (youtube).

Great Job Sky View :bow:

ScrapHappy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: A Must see performance from Sky View marching band

Post by ScrapHappy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:40 am

One of my co-workers' daughters is in the Sky View band. Knowing I'm a marching band nerd he showed me the video he took of that performance. One of the really cool things was that people in the audience started using their cell phones to help light up the field, including other competitors sitting on the back side of the field. My co-worker said that it was a goose-bump inducing moment :)
ScrapHappy in UT
Formerly from Pleasanton, CA

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Well, they can march. Too bad they obviously spent way more time on the visual and forgot that they are a musical organization first. I had to fast forward to the part where the lights went out because I couldn't take the sound anymore.

I bet the kids are awesome!

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Chaporch wrote:Well, they can march. Too bad they obviously spent way more time on the visual and forgot that they are a musical organization first. I had to fast forward to the part where the lights went out because I couldn't take the sound anymore.

Maybe it's my ears that have grown accustomed to middle school band, but I did not think their playing was bad at all. There were some blending and intonation issues in some spots, but that is not uncommon, and I have yet to see/hear a recording on youtube of any marching band that sounds the same or as good as it does in person.

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Chaporch wrote:Well, they can march. Too bad they obviously spent way more time on the visual and forgot that they are a musical organization first. I had to fast forward to the part where the lights went out because I couldn't take the sound anymore.

I wouldn't know how to judge them musically, but I think they are seated in 2nd behind American Fork for the state championship today, I could be wrong. Someone with more insight could help on the topic.

ScrapHappy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ScrapHappy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:27 pm

6yr.bandvet wrote: I wouldn't know how to judge them musically, but I think they are seated in 2nd behind American Fork for the state championship today, I could be wrong. Someone with more insight could help on the topic.
Yes, they are seeded 2nd behind American Fork. The top 3 marching bands in Utah are 1. American Fork; 2. Sky View (Smithfield); 3. Davis (Kaysville)
ScrapHappy in UT
Formerly from Pleasanton, CA

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 pm

mariahorn wrote:

Maybe it's my ears that have grown accustomed to middle school band, but I did not think their playing was bad at all. There were some blending and intonation issues in some spots, but that is not uncommon, and I have yet to see/hear a recording on youtube of any marching band that sounds the same or as good as it does in person.
It has to be the video recording. I, too, thought they sounded really bad on the recording with just a ton of intonation and attack problems and horrid brass tone.

But, at the BOA Regional in St. George they were 2nd in overall musical performance in both prelims and finals. Travis Moddison and Will Pitts had them 2nd in Individual Music performance, and W.L. Whaley and Max Mullinix had them 3rd and 2nd in Ensemble Music performance. I trust consistency across four judges more than a YouTube video.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
mariahorn wrote:

It has to be the video recording. I, too, thought they sounded really bad on the recording with just a ton of intonation and attack problems and horrid brass tone.

But, at the BOA Regional in St. George they were 2nd in overall musical performance in both prelims and finals. Travis Moddison and Will Pitts had them 2nd in Individual Music performance, and W.L. Whaley and Max Mullinix had them 3rd and 2nd in Ensemble Music performance. I trust consistency across four judges more than a YouTube video.
Agreed. And just like any band, live performances may vary.

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Totally agree with the judges, they (Sky View) had a great sound. On a side note, it was nice of BOA, Music for All, to acknowledge John Miller (Director of Bands, American Fork) for his 30 years of service at AFHS (37 total) as he is retiring after this school year.

It went something like this-
"You will not be remembered for those thousands of awards and acknowledgements but for the thousands of lives that you've touched" :cry: (very emotional)
Congratulations Mr. John Miller