BOA Long Beach Notables

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

cough
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: BOA Long Beach Notables

Post by cough » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:07 pm

socalbandsfan wrote:Correction noted on that finals post... BOA's website actually has the following at the end of the results...

Outstanding Music Performance - Ayala H.S., CA
Outstanding Visual Performance - Ayala H.S., CA and Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
Outstanding General Effect - Ayala H.S., CA

And I'm sure this is killing a lot of you and not just myself....

ONE judge ranked Vista Murrieta in 6th place. REALLY? 6th? For all of us who were there and watched the finals, could any one single person claim Vista Murrieta was a 6th place performance? No doubt Upland had an amazing show and a great performance, I really liked them in fact, so I am not at all discounting their 2nd place victory. I am just calling out the obvious here... even if this one judge would have ranked Vista Murrieta in 4th place, they would have still taken 2nd place. But he ranked them in 6th place knocking them down to 3rd and I'm sorry, but that was highway robbery!

Again, I would have never doubted Upland taking 2nd place from watching their amazing performance but common now, with fair scoring across the board. I live in LA county, no where near Vista Murrieta, and even I feel bad for them.
That isn't really a correction. The earlier post stated the results from the preliminary competition. You posted the caption results from the finals. Vista Murrieta still did very well in the competition, and your post takes away all the hard work from the students in the other music programs in the competition. You're being overly dramatic.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:17 pm

The judge being discussed is Carl Bly, who judged Music Effect in Finals. Let's just look at the MGE stats for Vista Murrieta...

Finals MGE1, Carl Bly: 6th in caption, 1.8 behind Ayala (1st), 1.4 behind Desert Vista (2nd), 0.8 behind Upland (3rd).

Finals MGE2, Matt McCready: 2nd in caption, 0.6 behind Ayala (1st), 0.2 above Upland (3rd).
Prelims MGE1, David Morrison: 2nd in caption, 0.1 behind Ayala (1st), 0.2 above Upland (3rd).
Prelims MGE2, Kevin Nix: 4th in caption, 1.9 behind Upland (1st), 1.4 behind Foothill (2nd), 1.1 behind Ayala (3rd).

Also for comparison:
Prelims Ind. Music, Carl Bly: 4th in caption, 1.4 behind Ayala (1st).
Finals Ind. Music, David Morrison: 2nd in caption, 0.8 behind Ayala (1st).

I'm not drawing any conclusions, those are just the spreads/ordinals from the recap for your review.

socalbandsfan

Post by socalbandsfan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:57 pm

cough wrote:
socalbandsfan wrote:Correction noted on that finals post... BOA's website actually has the following at the end of the results...

Outstanding Music Performance - Ayala H.S., CA
Outstanding Visual Performance - Ayala H.S., CA and Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
Outstanding General Effect - Ayala H.S., CA

And I'm sure this is killing a lot of you and not just myself....

ONE judge ranked Vista Murrieta in 6th place. REALLY? 6th? For all of us who were there and watched the finals, could any one single person claim Vista Murrieta was a 6th place performance? No doubt Upland had an amazing show and a great performance, I really liked them in fact, so I am not at all discounting their 2nd place victory. I am just calling out the obvious here... even if this one judge would have ranked Vista Murrieta in 4th place, they would have still taken 2nd place. But he ranked them in 6th place knocking them down to 3rd and I'm sorry, but that was highway robbery!

Again, I would have never doubted Upland taking 2nd place from watching their amazing performance but common now, with fair scoring across the board. I live in LA county, no where near Vista Murrieta, and even I feel bad for them.
That isn't really a correction. The earlier post stated the results from the preliminary competition. You posted the caption results from the finals. Vista Murrieta still did very well in the competition, and your post takes away all the hard work from the students in the other music programs in the competition. You're being overly dramatic.
My apologies on the "correction" comment, I misread the post. As for my post, it was pertaining to 2nd place which, only involved Upland and Vista Murrieta. Nothing I said was intended to take away from the hard work and efforts of all the other students. If I came off that way, than I apologize for that as well. I do believe it was a great competition and all performed very well! I even emphasized more than once how amazing Upland's performance was. I guess I just lacked the proper "less dramatic" terminology. Thank you Hostrauser for that helpful information. Congratulations to ALL students!!!