High school aux group Sunday rehearsals

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

mr. music
New Recruit
New Recruit

High school aux group Sunday rehearsals

Post by mr. music » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:02 pm

With winter season approaching for programs across the country, percussion and guard groups begin to prepare. A question arose in my mind: is it common for some of these groups to practice on Sundays? Do any of you fellow educators allow your groups to rehearse on this day? Do schools allow it? With no religious implications, its just always seemed to me (maybe in my own secluded understanding) that groups just didnt practice on Sunday. I could be wrong however.....anyone care to comment?

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Re: High school aux group Sunday rehearsals

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I do not schedule anything on Sundays except special performances that are only on a Sunday (very rare) like a end of season championship or if we are on an overnight extended trip that lasts through a Sunday.

Sundays are family days.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:46 am

I have never heard of high school programs holding Sunday rehearsals. My experience is that Sunday rehearsals are used by independent (non-school) groups, mostly because that has been the day they can guarantee they will have no conflicts with school programs. Back when I ran my youth band program we would hold weekend camp rehearsals a few times a year and occasional Sunday afternoon rehearsals, allowing members to attend church services in the morning. Many independent winter guard and percussion programs as well as drum and bugle corps rehearse on weekends so they won't conflict with school rehearsals.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Mark Stone
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark Stone » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:03 pm

No Sunday rehearsals. We do have indoor shows that we have to do but I don't like it. I understand the championships weekend thing but not for local shows. I think if we would all refused to go, the associations would stop hosting them.
Mark Stone, Ayala High School

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Mark Stone wrote:No Sunday rehearsals. We do have indoor shows that we have to do but I don't like it. I understand the championships weekend thing but not for local shows. I think if we would all refused to go, the associations would stop hosting them.
Amen.....couldnt agree more.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Mark Stone wrote:No Sunday rehearsals. We do have indoor shows that we have to do but I don't like it. I understand the championships weekend thing but not for local shows. I think if we would all refused to go, the associations would stop hosting them.
Amen.....couldnt agree more.

Haha, I think you're a little biased Ryan (although I agree Sunday's should be for families). As you well know, absolutely nothing to do with any kind of rehearsing or competing of any school music groups occurs on Sunday's in Utah...California on the other hand is a different story, however, I don't remember ever having to do any band events on a Sunday when I was in school.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.