Showmanship 277.5 Golden Valley
Music 470.0 Golden Valley
Parade Sweepstakes 92.55 Irvington

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RESULTS: 38th Annual Lincoln Band Review 11/15/14

Post by clarinetking » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:35 am

I was there. I really thought that Golden Valley was on top. BUT when one music judge placed only ONE band in the superior category all day and that band was some random band that wasn't that good.....the results are going to be jacked. Congratulations NCBA on another screwed up judging day.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by baritoneplayer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:50 am

I was not there, but I have to say that if "Clarinet King" thinks that GV was the superior band yesterday at Lincoln, I believe him! Charlie Rodda runs a great program at Irvington, but GV always plays more difficult marches well, and that is usually why the band comes out on top! But congrats to Irvington! It was your day :)

Hello24

Post by Hello24 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:23 am

Who won the caption award for Percussion for the field show? I don't see any caption awards listed

mr. music
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mr. music » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:37 am

Congrats to Irvington on their Grand Sweepstakes win! I thought id give my two cents:

-First, for a long time, GV has been the perennial powerhouse in NCBA. The program has mantained a level of excellence that at times some people have strongly disliked or mistaken for arrogance, which isnt the case. Does GV always win? Nah. That was proven this weekend. And honestly, its good to experience loss in a competitve state every now and then.

-As far as the scoring goes, I had a chance to look at the recap. There were, as always exists in NCBA, some discrepancies with HUGE gaps present by judges in the same category. I believe some penalties were suffered by GV as well. But regardless of that, Irvington did a superb job yesterday and should fully enjoy their season ending grand sweepstakes win! Their sweepstakes isnt watered down in any way. The band performed well and the staff at Irvington should be, as I assume they are, extremely proud of the effort given by their students.

-This may be my own personal point of view, but a common misconception is that only Fairfield hosts the better bands at the end of the season. I dont believe this to be the case. Lincoln had a great amount of talented bands present at their review as well. NCBA should again consider having an OFFICIAL season ending championships.

Agree, disagree....this is just how I feel.....

12drummersdrumming
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 12drummersdrumming » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Ok..........I have a question that maybe someone from NCBA can answer. I've watched the video of Irvington at the Lincoln band review. They had to have had over 40 kids not wearing uniforms, but wearing t-shirts. Is this legal? No penalty for this?

My understanding is that Golden Valley got a couple of tics in the standing inspection, that cost them the overall parade sweepstakes. Did Irvington receive any penalties for many members of their band wearing t-shirts instead of band uniforms? Was their showmanship score affected by this?

Curious minds would like to know.

weric2468

Post by weric2468 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 pm

At Irvington, we have little to no funds to purchase new uniform tops. The marching band keeps growing every year. That being said, I believe Mr. Rodda lets the head judge know how many students are in the t-shirts and everyone moves on with the competition. We've been doing this for a couple of years now. You're seeing a lot more students with t-shirts because the band keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Although it's legal, I would say it does affect our showmanship scores.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:41 pm

12drummersdrumming wrote:Ok..........I have a question that maybe someone from NCBA can answer. I've watched the video of Irvington at the Lincoln band review. They had to have had over 40 kids not wearing uniforms, but wearing t-shirts. Is this legal? No penalty for this?
Straight from the NCBA rulebook:
Directors may make "declarations" for exceptions to the inspection guidelines...All declarations must be IN WRITING and HAND CARRIED by the band director or staff person and given directly to the inspection judge. These declarations must be in the hands of the inspection judge BEFORE the actual inspection starts on his/her unit.

Personally, I think it is a good idea. I know of several schools that stopped marching over the years simply because they couldn't afford the uniform costs of a rapidly growing band (Analy in Sebastopol, Casa Grande in Petaluma, College Park in Pleasant Hill, and Woodland all used to march NCBA parades back in the 90s/00s, and I've heard in each instance that lack of uniform funds was at least a contributing factor to them dropping competitive marching band). Irvington marched 200 musicians in their block. That's fantastic!

Addendum: wow, Lincoln still does inspection? I though that went the way of the dodo.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:05 pm

The rest of the results from the Lincoln Review of Champions are now posted on our scores page thanks to the director at Lincoln HS who just emailed them to me a little while ago.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I certainly don't want to rain on anybody's parade so let me be clear. I was AMAZED at Irvington. I thought that was the best job I had ever seen/hear them too. Charlie has that group doing things right. I just disagreed with the results and the fact that judges are not getting trained and that at the last review of the season one judge didn't any band but one had played at a Superior Level. That lady needs to GO!!!!
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

pattyfatty

Post by pattyfatty » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:14 am

Bandmaster wrote:The rest of the results from the Lincoln Review of Champions are now posted on our scores page thanks to the director at Lincoln HS who just emailed them to me a little while ago.
Is there anyway to access the excel spreadsheet? It doesn't seem to be up on the NCBA website yet.

Edit: Just kidding, it just got posted..

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm

In checking the recap, one music judge rated all the bands low, but ranked them well and consistant with the other judge. There was one marching judge that did swing the scores, which gave Irvington the win. In reviewing the video, I could see Irvington getting a slightly better marching score that GV. Congrats to both bands on a superior performance.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

DG95
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DG95 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Let me remind everyone that the goal of NCBA is to provide an educational experience for all participants, not a competitive duel to the death. Although it can be frustrating to have judges that seem to be consistently inconsistent, we must take a more serious look at the comments they are giving rather than the score. We can't all win, which is a reminder to stop being infatuated with the insatiable need to win. It's about kids learning, not having directors' ego inflated. Directors need to be more worried about creating an environment for kids that will foster musicianship and bonds of friendship that will create memories that will last a lifetime, not worrying about getting a piece of plastic that kids can't take home or even touch in some cases. If you wanna focus on winning, start a drum corps :nenr:

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:34 pm

No offense intended to this last posting but why not have both? A good atmosphere to perform in AND quality adjudication. We used to have it with NCBA but when the board became a 'good ole boys club' it went south. I want the old NCBA back where they cared how they judged and cared about the bands. I want the old NCBA that did the fall clinics and trained directors and students. I want the old NCBA back that had meaningful judges training. I want the old NCBA back that didn't use proxy voting to win every vote. I want quality adjudication back which IS in the best interests of the students AND directors. If YOU want to talk non-competitive adjudication with no standards and no consistency......DON'T GO TO COMPETITIONS!!!
"Soup"er man.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:58 am

Amen. Competitive adjudication with standards and consistency. I believe it can and does exist.

Alan