SCSBOA Championship Discussion/Predictions

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Proficiscor
New Recruit
New Recruit

SCSBOA Championship Discussion/Predictions

Post by Proficiscor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14 am

Man it's been a while since I have posted on here. It's good to be back. I have been busy so I haven't been able to go to shows as often as I would like, but what are everyone's opinions for championships that are coming up in about three weeks?

Here are mine:
1A/2A: I haven't watched much in the 1A or 2A division so.. N/A
3A: In no particular order, Aliso Niguel , Colony, Valencia, Palisades Charter, Glen A. Wilson (there are a lot of noteworthy bands/shows in 3A this year. I think scores will be very close. This division will be one to look forward to.)
4A: Hart (haven't watched too much here)
5A: N/A(however, fountain Valley has a pretty huge score advantage I believe, but I haven't watched them so I rather not say.)
6A: Mt. carmel, Rancho Bernardo San Marcos

I mainly watch 6As and 3As And I would love to see more opinions. (Mainly to keep an eye out for more shows that stand out) :yeah:

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Re: SCSBOA Championship Discussion/Predictions

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:44 am

Oh these threads are always interesting. I think it is fun to discuss and all, let's just make sure we all stay civil et cetera.

1A: There are the 1A bands that have been at Champs consistently and a few that seem to be making strides this year, either having switched divisions or having a really strong year. I think it is safe to assume that LA will be in the top 3 if not take top honors this year. Haven't seen them but they always do well and with San Marcos up in 2A their chances are even better. Not familiar with Saddleback or La Costa Canyon (nor do I think either have been at 1A champs in the past) but both are putting up some nice scores and consistently so I'd assume we'll see them there. Oxnard has been a consistent champs band for awhile now and is seeing some nice score growth, Lancaster has been to champs the last 4 years as well. Palos Verdes hasn't quite made the champs cut the last few years but they are having some nice scores this year as well so perhaps that will turn around for them this year. Highland seems to have really brought their A game this year, their scores having been going down recently but perhaps we'll see those jump back up soon. I'd also keep Santa Margarita and Charter Oak in mind. Margarita only has one score up but it is pretty good and they usually see nice growth through the season. Charter Oak has traditionally been one of the top 3 in 1A, but they have a new director this year so we'll see how their scores grow. Also need to keep Dos Pueblos in mind as they haven't been out in a bit, and Marshall has been making nice gains this year. Both groups seem to be doing ok with the transition from 2A down to 1A. 1A is usually a matter of who can keep scores growing through the season versus having one really nice show or starting out nice but staying stagnant.

2A

San Marcos is always strong no matter their division and did win 2A a few years ago, the last time they bumped up from 1A. Moorpark has a really cool show this year so I'm betting we'll see them up in the top. Patriot won the division last year and now has Charter Oak's former director so I'm guessing they'll continue to grow in leaps and bounds. I'd also bet on us seeing Bellflower, Workman, and Sunny Hills in the mix as they are doing well and are also groups that have been to champs a few times at least already. Not sure who else I would bet on this year. I haven't seen many 2A groups this year so it is hard to say.

3A: This division is going to be a blood bath I think. This weekend at Rampage a bunch of the 3A bands were ones who were at championships last year and there were some pretty strong showings. Azusa and Valencia are definitely going to be battling their way up towards the top, Golden Valley is continuing to grow every year, Palisades always plays very well as does Santa Monica. Colony has a pretty spectacular show this year as well. This division is definitely going to be a fight just to make the cut. Saugus will probably be in there as well as they have been for years and years, and it seems Aliso is having a great season, though I haven't seen them at all. This is going to be an exciting division to watch I think.

4A:

I've only seen a handful of these groups so I'm guessing if we look at the current grid we can get a pretty good idea who will make it. I'm guessing Hart will be kicking butt again as they are consistently of high caliber and their scores have been showing that this year as well. Liberty seems to be making strides this year and then there are some of the perennials like South Hills and Granada and West Ranch. Not sure the competition is going to be quite as close or nail-biting this year as some of the other divisions.

5/6A: In the areas my group competes I rarely see any of these groups so I can't really say.

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by flutemom » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm more zeroed in on 4A. One thing I've noticed (and maybe it was the same last year) is the Hart is only entered into three SCSBOA events, including their own Rampage. So I'm guessing that one will count too.

I've noticed with Liberty is that of the three they've competed in so far, there's a major point difference between the lowest and the highest. Is that an anomaly, is it because they had a weak showing, or is it because some judges are being tougher than others?

Proficiscor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Proficiscor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:46 pm

flutemom wrote:I'm more zeroed in on 4A. One thing I've noticed (and maybe it was the same last year) is the Hart is only entered into three SCSBOA events, including their own Rampage. So I'm guessing that one will count too.

I've noticed with Liberty is that of the three they've competed in so far, there's a major point difference between the lowest and the highest. Is that an anomaly, is it because they had a weak showing, or is it because some judges are being tougher than others?
It may have been that their show was not finished and didn't have a lot of elements. It may have been a little bit of everything you listed.

tromboneman

Post by tromboneman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:57 pm

I think that right now the 1a's are the hardest to predict who will make it. Right now, looking at the grid, it looks like there's about 17 or 18 bands that could possibly make it although it seems that might change when more bands get their third score or just compete again in general. LA looks like they definitely will make it but thats about it. Other groups that look like they will make it include Lancaster, Palos Verdes, and Saddleback, but after that it gets really hard to pick and it will be interesting to see who else does so.

For 2a's I haven't seen very many shows but San Marcos will probably be up at the top, although Moorpark could change that. Other then that I would say maybe Sunny Hills they seem to know what they're doing going off their scores the past few years.

3a's gets even harder. Having seen Azusa, Valencia, Golden Valley, Palisades Charter and Santa Monica this past weekend at Hart, they all seem to have really good shows, although I think Azusa and Valencia will be the ones to beat and most likely to be at the top. Personally I think Valencia will get it in the end though, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

4a's will most likely be Hart by a lot with West Ranch, South Hills, and Granada following them.

5a/6a Im not sure about as I don't usually get to see very many of them.

lo123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lo123 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Since I really only follow 6A, I seriously don't know who it's going to be.

MC is super super clean on their feet and if I might say the cleanest right now (from what I have seen on YouTube). I really enjoy seeing the risks that RB is taking this year. I do think they have a LOT of room to clean. Everyone is neck to neck. It has to be either RB, MC, Arcadia, or El Dorado on top this year. Unlike previous years, I really don't know who it will be.

bandfan10

Post by bandfan10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm

I will comment on 6A since that is the division I'm familiar with.
While I see a lot of responses regarding MC and Rancho Bernardo as finishing on top, let's not forget the other school that was right there with both of the San Diego schools last year: Chino! They finished 1st behind Mt. Carmel at Arcadia and was Bronze at Championships, I would definitely not count them out.
Arcadia and El Dordao look amazing this season too. Also look out for Roland to make some noise as well. Again, this is just my opinion.

xshawk

Post by xshawk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:54 pm

6A from a southern eyeball perspective:
Arcadia, El Dorado, Mt Carmel, and Rancho Bernardo, are all looking really good.
El Dorado's show Evolving Light is one of my favorites... truly a show worth seeing!
(seriously.. don't miss these guys!)

Arcadia is always a contender because.. helloo.. Arcadia!
good marching, music, and great sound via big numbers.

Rancho Bernardo's show "with blood there is life" is slightly risky.. get mixed (love it/hate it) comments from spectators on the theme.. "coffins" on the field etc. but they are still an exceptional band and while the show doesn't move me personally the way MC, El Dorado, or Arcadia's did, it is still a quality performance..
I haven't seen them in 2 weeks so I'm hoping they are owning it properly by now.

Mt Carmel seems to really have something, combination of new uniforms, music selection, and a show that takes advantage of both. I've heard they have new Auxiliary coaches this year, with auxiliary scores making it pretty clear that they chose wisely.

can't wait to see Chino, they should make this even harder on the judges!

and lastly, I can't help wishing I had a chance to see Fountain Valley... they seem to be impressing judges at any rate.

looking forward to this weekend!

Guard_girl1221

Post by Guard_girl1221 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Out of all 39 schools that qualify for championships in division 1A how many will be selected based on grid? :shock:

tromboneman

Post by tromboneman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Guard_girl1221 wrote:Out of all 39 schools that qualify for championships in division 1A how many will be selected based on grid? :shock:
Do you mean how many bands will make champs or which ones will?

Guard_girl1221

Post by Guard_girl1221 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:32 pm

tromboneman wrote:
Guard_girl1221 wrote:Out of all 39 schools that qualify for championships in division 1A how many will be selected based on grid? :shock:
Yeah how many do you think will be selected or usually how many are selected??

tromboneman

Post by tromboneman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 pm

Guard_girl1221 wrote:
tromboneman wrote:
Yeah how many do you think will be selected or usually how many are selected??
Oh ok just making sure. SCSBOA takes only the top 12 bands for all divisions. So the top 12 1a bands will go to 1a champs based off their top 3 scores.

Guard_girl1221

Post by Guard_girl1221 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Woooooo! Who do you think will make it?

tromboneman

Post by tromboneman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Guard_girl1221 wrote:Woooooo! Who do you think will make it?
Hmmm thats where it gets kinda hard. Right now, in my opinion, there are about 6 bands that definitely will make 1a champs. Those are: Los Angeles, La Costa Canyon, Lancaster, Marshall, Saddleback, and Palos Verdes. After that it gets harder to pick as some bands, like Tustin, are starting to get scores like 70 and still have at least one more competition. So after the six bands I listed any of these bands could make it but could also not make it. South East, Highland, JFk, Charter Oak, Gabrielino, Tustin, and Don Antonio Lugo, plus a few more i'm sure.

Guard_girl1221

Post by Guard_girl1221 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:49 pm

tromboneman wrote:
Guard_girl1221 wrote:Woooooo! Who do you think will make it?
Hmmm thats where it gets kinda hard. Right now, in my opinion, there are about 6 bands that definitely will make 1a champs. Those are: Los Angeles, La Costa Canyon, Lancaster, Marshall, Saddleback, and Palos Verdes. After that it gets harder to pick as some bands, like Tustin, are starting to get scores like 70 and still have at least one more competition. So after the six bands I listed any of these bands could make it but could also not make it. South East, Highland, JFk, Charter Oak, Gabrielino, Tustin, and Don Antonio Lugo, plus a few more i'm sure.
I sure hope saddleback makes it!! :yeah: