Granada Hills loses kilts.

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

kilted1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Granada Hills loses kilts.

Post by kilted1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 pm

As an alumni I'm sad to see the kilts go for field show. But what are your thoughts about this? I remember judges always commented on our kilts usually in a negative way. And granada always has made strives to change through out the years to improve there uniform to look better on the field. But now Al Nelson is no longer the director and the new director has opted not to use the kilts on the field. Do you think this helps them with scores? Visually better? Will judges respond better?

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Granada Hills loses kilts.

Post by Chaporch » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Where did Al go?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 pm

The judges may or may not respond better, that all comes down to personal preference. However, if like you said, most the comments were negative, then it stands to reason that it would improve their scores.

That being said, I think having a "signature" look is part of a bands identity on the field, sort of a trademark if you will. I personally remember the Granada Hills kilts from when I marched a decade ago, and I don't specifically remember very many uniforms from my high school days, so it's obvious that this look was a "signature" for Granada and I can understand why alumni would be sad to see it go. If there is one thing I've learned in marching though, is to not be afraid of change, hopefully it all works out for the better.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

alto92
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alto92 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:25 am

I love the change. I didn't really have an issue with the kilts, but it looks to me like they've gone the way of a modular uniform, which I like for them. Along with the uniform, they have a very different "aura" in performance. I saw them really early on at Royal and was really impressed.

It'll be interesting to watch them over the next few years.
Kurt Gray
Mesa Verde MS
Moorpark, CA

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:02 am

If there's one thing that's guaranteed, it's "change will happen." Even the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps (who have had the "same" uniforms since 1934 except for a season and a half) have changed through the years, and don't wear the EXACT same thing.

As for Granada Hills, I loved it when they had the kilts, and I love it that they don't have the kilts, now. I think they're a great band and would love to see them get to the next level, whatever that looks like. I don't think it's dependent on the uniform, per se, but mostly the attitude, and part of that is dependent on how you present yourself.

I do see some bands maintain tradition in their own way while embracing innovation. Look at the Upland High School Highland Regiment. They STILL have their bagpipers (in kilts) that will bagpipe away following awards ceremonies sometimes, and in parades their drum major(s) and bagpipers are an integral part of the program.

If you're THAT passionate about tradition, perhaps gently suggest to the director that he/she implement some sort of "symbol" (kilts, mascot, what have you) that will not interfere with the "now" concept of the field show (if required), but perhaps could take part in the awards ceremony, traditional parade, or other school aspects. Just a thought.

Alan

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14 am

Pretty sure I saw some kids walking around in kilts after their performance at Rampage this weekend and that the drum majors are still wearing the full regalia (including the big fuzzy hat thing) for awards.

I assume they decided to go with a "costume" for their show this year since they are doing a civil war theme. I wouldn't assume they are ditching the kilts for good, I think they just decided to do something thematic this year for the field show, I don't think they actually bought new uniforms....at least that's what it looked like to me.

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by flutemom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:48 pm

I finally got to a comp that Granada was performing at (their comp) and was checking out the new uniforms as close up as I can before getting dinner. Personally I don't get why they dropped such an unique look for one that looks a bit silly, given those wide sashes (which frankly made some of the more stouter musicians look horrible and basically took up the torso of the shorter ones). What is the purpose of those sashes? I get that their routine is some war theme. But to me, yawn.

Now my own alma mater (which didn't do field comps when I was in the music program) had their percussion in Wizard of Oz costumes. But they're not getting high scores so not expecting them to go to SCSBOA champs.

I did like seeing all these enthusiastic kids from all the schools. I still feel it's the music, music, music that comes first, and who really cares about the scores -- not me. Music is a positive influence in the kids' lives so let's celebrate that.