Re: Lineup - 2014 BOA Long Beach, CA - 11/08/2014

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 am

Gonna be a fantastic show. I was so looking forward to going. :(

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 pm

airons0678 wrote:(From the Music for All forums.)

8:15 - Mountain View H.S., AZ
8:30 - Sabino H.S., AZ
8:45 - Oñate H.S., NM
9:00 - Trabuco Hills H.S., CA
9:15 - South Pasadena H.S., CA
9:30 - Homestead H.S., CA
9:45 - Mesa H.S., AZ
10:00 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

Break

10:30 - El Segundo H.S., CA
10:45 - Clovis East H.S., CA
11:00 - Nogales H.S., CA
11:15 - Arroyo H.S., CA
11:30 - Saratoga H.S., CA
11:45 - Fountain Valley H.S., CA
12:00 - Desert Vista H.S., AZ

Lunch

1:00 - Foothill H.S., NV
1:15 - Covina H.S., CA
1:30 - Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
1:45 - Upland H.S., CA
2:00 - Los Altos H.S., CA
2:15 - Clovis West H.S., CA
2:30 - Corona del Sol H.S., AZ
2:45 - Ayala H.S., CA
This looks to be a fantastic show. Clovis West took a bit of a tumble in the rankings at BOA St. George, which is surprising; though reports have it that they have a "quality show" but that something seems "off." We'll see if they can improve with the BOA judges' comments (which are GOLD) in a week. I still have them as a solid lock for finals, though I am predicting bottom 5 at this point.

Foothill--the best band in NV--had a solid showing in Utah, coming in behind Clovis West. Their 77-something score, however, as decent as that is, will probably not hold up well against the firepower of many of the CA bands, Cedar Ridge, and Oñate (possibly). That said, I still think they will make finals, but by a very slim margin. They may well have to watch finals from the stands, or take the early bus back home.

Here's how I think things could pan out, looking at recent SCSBOA results, WBA results, and of course, BOA results:

1) Cedar Ridge H.S., TX - will be hard to beat.
2) Ayala H.S., CA - They COULD pull off a win, but I don't think so.
3) Vista Murrieta H.S., CA - This band is on the rise with a REALLY sweet show. For sure will be in the top 5.
4) Fountain Valley H.S., CA - Call me crazy, or claim favoritism because I used to be in this band and my brother is now the director...but they're hot this year, and I think they have a LOT of potential...plus, their show has "BOA" written all over it. Their visual package is particularly impressive. The only thing that will hold them back is inconsistency, which has been an issue for years.
5) Upland H.S., CA - it would be quite an upset if Fountain Valley topped this group...but FV has been breathing down Chino's and Upland's throats at early season shows.
6) Clovis West H.S., CA - I've always been impressed with the creativity of this group.
7) Saratoga H.S., CA - These guys seem to be arch-rivals with Homestead this year in WBA and NCBA. I think they will take Homestead by a slim margin.
8) Homestead H.S., CA - From an October 10th video I saw, and granted--it is early--their visual package is a bag, and the drums are way...too...loud. I'm not impressed with the overuse of crab stepping, done sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Either they improve, or they will be low on the finals list.
9) Foothill H.S., NV - Foothill is the best band in Nevada, and they're going to have to fight to be in a tough field of California bands.
10) Nogales H.S., CA - Welcome to finals! I think Nogales has a solid, solid chance. They're bigger this year, and every year I'm impressed by their quality. Show design may be their only weakness, but I've been liking their designs more and more.

Bubble Bands - Oñate H.S., NM, and Desert Vista H.S., AZ

There you have it. My thoughts.

What are your thoughts?

Alan

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:25 pm

In the case of Cedar Ridge, I would normally agree with their being at the top of the list. However, this Tuesday is UIL State Marching Championships and that gives them a lot to deal with only a couple of days before coming to CA. UIL and BOA have some major differences and it takes a heavy turnaround to go from one form of judging to another. I have to believe that is why the did not do BOA San Antonio.

Claudia Taylor Johnson won both the San Antonio and Conroe BOA contests. They did not win the UIL Area Contest, falling in both the Prelims and Finals to Austin Bowie. I think it is very conceivable that Bowie and Marcus will beat CIJ at UIL since the UIL does not have a separate Vision Caption. I wish them good luck out West though. Especially after the Performance of Hanks in Utah and Dripping Springs in Atlanta.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:52 pm

airons0678 wrote:What are your thoughts?

Alan
Well, since you asked... 8-)

1. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
2. Ayala H.S., CA
3. Saratoga H.S., CA
4. Upland H.S., CA
5. Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
6. Homestead H.S., CA
7. Desert Vista H.S., AZ
8. Fountain Valley H.S., CA
9. Nogales H.S., CA
10. Clovis West H.S., CA
-------------------------------
11. Corona del Sol H.S., AZ
12. Foothill H.S., NV
13. Arroyo H.S., CA
14. Oñate H.S., NM

I don't think Cedar Ridge will run away with it. I think Ayala will be within two points and might even grab a caption. I think 6-10 you can pull out of a hat in any order and I wouldn't disagree. 11-14 are the ones I think will be lurking, but I'm not sure any of them have the juice to power into Finals.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:09 am

Hostrauser wrote:

Alan

1. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
2. Ayala H.S., CA
3. Saratoga H.S., CA
4. Upland H.S., CA
6. Homestead H.S., CA
7. Desert Vista H.S., AZ
9. Nogales H.S., CA
10. Clovis West H.S., CA
12. Foothill H.S., NV
13. Arroyo H.S., CA
14. Oñate H.S., NM

I don't think Cedar Ridge will run away with it. I think Ayala will be within two points and might even grab a caption. I think 6-10 you can pull out of a hat in any order and I wouldn't disagree. 11-14 are the ones I think will be lurking, but I'm not sure any of them have the juice to power into Finals.
Interesting predictions. I like! Bold of you to have Foothill out of finals. Obviously I've not much faith in Arizona bands. We shall see in a few days!

Alan

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:10 pm

airons0678 wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:

Alan

1. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
2. Ayala H.S., CA
3. Saratoga H.S., CA
4. Upland H.S., CA
6. Homestead H.S., CA
7. Desert Vista H.S., AZ
9. Nogales H.S., CA
10. Clovis West H.S., CA
12. Foothill H.S., NV
13. Arroyo H.S., CA
14. Oñate H.S., NM

Interesting predictions. I like! Bold of you to have Foothill out of finals. Obviously I've not much faith in Arizona bands. We shall see in a few days!

Alan
I have to say: I just saw a video of Desert Vista's show this year, and I'm quite impressed. I'm on the verge of saying they will be locks for finals, but I have to see them in person.

This is going to be a great regional!

Alan