SCSBOA Division Leaders?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

SCSBOA Division Leaders?

Post by flutemom » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Which bands do you feel are likely to lead their divisions? Which shows are major surprises or shockers?

soulpizza

Re: SCSBOA Division Leaders?

Post by soulpizza » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:27 pm

6A: After last years tight competition, I think there is a lot more spread this year. Can Rancho Bernardo come back dominating field and parade this year after losing to Mt. Carmel (field) at Arcadia last year? Personally, after seeing the main competitors shows, I think this could be the end of the reign of Rancho Bernardo. And who's going to do it? Mt. Carmel. They have a younger group this year, but after build momentum for the past few years, it can be done. Am I saying the Rancho Bernardo WILL lose this year? Not at all. I think they have a very different approach this year than they usually do, and that is pretty risky. However, Mt. Carmel's more contemporary field approach (possibly inspired by new corps style uniforms) along with their more traditional parade approach could stir the pot. I think the 6A division is stuck between the two San Diego schools. Their shows are both great.
I am putting my money on Mt. Carmel however. But I always love an underdog.

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by flutemom » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Do you think the low scores in some of the comps this weekend is due to cautious judging or because schools need to step it up? There seemed to be only a few higher than 80s among all the comps.

soulpizza

Post by soulpizza » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 pm

It's just too early in the season to see why judges are judging how they are. Come saturday after results come in, I think we will have a much better idea about their intentions.

tromboneman

Post by tromboneman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:44 pm

You're asking for all divisions?
1a: Los Angeles and Charter Oak are usually in top 3 so there's them
2a: San Marcos they've taken 1st in 1a and 2a the past two years so they'll probably be up there again this year. Moorpark usually does well in MBOS and they're doing SCSBOA this year so they will probably be up there as well
3a: Not entirely sure they seem to switch every year.
4a: Hart is always good and almost always gets 1st.
5a and 6a: Not familiar with enough of them to say.

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 am

5A: Vista, Fountain Valley, Valencia (any one of these three)
6A: Arcadia, Mt. Carmel, Rancho Bernardo (any one of these three)

xshawk

Post by xshawk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 am

soulpizza wrote:6A: After last years tight competition, I think there is a lot more spread this year. Can Rancho Bernardo come back dominating field and parade this year after losing to Mt. Carmel (field) at Arcadia last year? Personally, after seeing the main competitors shows, I think this could be the end of the reign of Rancho Bernardo. And who's going to do it? Mt. Carmel. They have a younger group this year, but after build momentum for the past few years, it can be done. Am I saying the Rancho Bernardo WILL lose this year? Not at all. I think they have a very different approach this year than they usually do, and that is pretty risky. However, Mt. Carmel's more contemporary field approach (possibly inspired by new corps style uniforms) along with their more traditional parade approach could stir the pot. I think the 6A division is stuck between the two San Diego schools. Their shows are both great.
I am putting my money on Mt. Carmel however. But I always love an underdog.
good points here!

as a former "arch-rival" and current convert of Mt Carmel I was quite pleased with their performance at the RB tournament! and I think you are spot on with comment on the change in approach for RB, it will be interesting to see how the season progresses...
since they were exhibition only on saturday I'm not sure what the judges thought...

Mt Carmel is headed to Poway this weekend so I figured we would get a better idea... but then I looked at the line-up...
since you seem to be familiar with the entities involved, do you have any theories as to why Poway was not at the RB tournament last weekend? and why RB is not currently scheduled to go to the Poway tournament this weekend?

I just thought it odd...

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 am

xshawk wrote:do you have any theories as to why Poway was not at the RB tournament last weekend?
Poway was at Rancho Buena Vista's tournament last weekend. They haven't been to Rancho Bernardo's tournament in several years. I know some directors are leery of RB's tournament because it is independent, but I can't say for certain what Poway's reasons are.

As for Rancho Bernardo, I think they just needed some time off. Poway would have made seven consecutive weekends of competitions, which is insane. RB's schedule this year:
10/11 - Rancho Bernardo (home show)
10/18 - off
10/25 - Mt. Carmel
11/1 - Mira Mesa
11/8 - Otay Ranch (parade) / Chula Vista (field)
11/15 - Arcadia
11/22 - SCSBOA Champs at Chino

xshawk

Post by xshawk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am

Hostrauser wrote:
xshawk wrote:do you have any theories as to why Poway was not at the RB tournament last weekend?
Poway was at Rancho Buena Vista's tournament last weekend. They haven't been to Rancho Bernardo's tournament in several years. I know some directors are leery of RB's tournament because it is independent, but I can't say for certain what Poway's reasons are.

As for Rancho Bernardo, I think they just needed some time off. Poway would have made seven consecutive weekends of competitions, which is insane. RB's schedule this year:
10/11 - Rancho Bernardo (home show)
10/18 - off
10/25 - Mt. Carmel
11/1 - Mira Mesa
11/8 - Otay Ranch (parade) / Chula Vista (field)
11/15 - Arcadia
11/22 - SCSBOA Champs at Chino
Well that makes a whole lot more sense!
I appreciate the perspective!

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by flutemom » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:19 pm

This is going to be a very busy day for competition. I did notice that the Patriot FT is the only one that I can't find a lineup for (Simi's isn't really posted anywhere, but I do have the revised line up). I guess I have to see tonight or tomorrow when the scores are revealed.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BlueStarMom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:54 am

The Patriot scores are posted on the scores page.
BlueStarMom
:)

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Mt. Carmel smoked the field on Saturday, however I think RB has a lot of GE in their show and plenty of room to clean. I would expect tight scores at champs.
drummer

MarchingSundevilHawk

Post by MarchingSundevilHawk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:41 pm

6A
Mt. Carmel looked/sounded impressive.
Rancho Bernardo's show, I'm affraid, is so difficult, that the younger marchers have their work cut out for them.
If San Marcos can iron out their music and marching timing, they might make some waves at championships.

4A
I've seen Hart's show, seems like the one to beat
It will be interesting to see how the loss of Valencia (to 5A) and the addition of Warren shakes up this division.

5A
Vista looks very good.

3A
I've only seen Aliso Niguel - Great show