Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Events Calendar upgrade

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I have made an upgrade to our Events Calendar. We are getting more events posted from all over the country the last couple years, so to make it easier to find shows in your area, the events are now subdivided into regional areas.

1. West Coast (CA, AZ, NV, UT, OR, ID, WA and HI)
2. Rocky Mountain (NM, CO, WY, MT, NE and KS)
3. Southwest (TX, OK, AR, LA and MS)
4. Southeast (AL, GA, FL, SC, NC, VA, TN and KY)
5. Midwest (SD, ND, MO, IL, IA, MN, WI, IN, MI and OH)
6. Mid Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, WV and DC)
7. New England (MA, VT, ME, NH, CT and RI)
8. Other
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Events Calendar upgrade

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:14 pm

I will be adding the October West Coast competitions to the events calendar this weekend. If any show sponsors beat me to it and post their event, I will maintain it and keep it up to date with any official updates like performance line ups.

Show hosts can send me information to add to their event listings. Include items like when the gates opens, performance times, ticket prices, special vendors providing services, guest performers or exhibitions, etc. My email address is at the bottom of every page of the website.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:30 am

Neat! Thanks Dave.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Don Lugo Field Show - Oct 4th - SCJA - Admission $7
Bands scheduled to appear
1A - Bishop Amat, Perris
2A - Don Lugo (exhibition) Northview
3A - Claremont, Newport Harbor, Lakeside
4A - Centennial (Corona), San Dimas, Crescenta Valley
5A - La Habra, Mayfair

This event also feature a parade competition which takes place on the track in front of the home stands.

Don Lugo, Lakeside, Crescenta Valley and Mayfair are in the parade.

We are taking applications until Sept.19th.
$200 field only, $275 for both.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Maybe just being picky here, but being from Utah, I know that everyone from there would automatically check the Rocky Mountain section for Utah events, not West Coast. They consider themselves part of the Rocky Mountain region, especially given that the Rockies do run through a corner of the state. The same is probably true for Idaho.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:20 pm

The Aceman wrote:Maybe just being picky here, but being from Utah, I know that everyone from there would automatically check the Rocky Mountain section for Utah events, not West Coast. They consider themselves part of the Rocky Mountain region, especially given that the Rockies do run through a corner of the state. The same is probably true for Idaho.
But they compete in West Coast shows when they travel outside of Utah. I don't remember seeing many Utah bands listed in Colorado Bandmaster Association competitions lately, have you? I almost placed New Mexico in the Texas region until I had Jeff Gorman explain to me that West Texas bands go to New Mexico for competitions and not to the rest of Texas. And New Mexico bands also go north to Colorado and west to Arizona a lot. So it is not "just" where they are geographically, but where they "compete" the most that counts. The same goes for West Virginia bands, I had to ask around to find out that they don't hang out in Virginia very much, they go to Pennsylvania instead.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:43 pm

By the way I'm trying to get one of my Utah Director friends to give me event info. and scores for competitions in Utah *Cough, cough Victor Neves or Jake Bradshaw, Cough* so I can submit them to the website, but haven't received a reply as of yet.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 am

When are the first competitions?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 pm

OF THE STATES THAT I FOLLOW (not all, but many)...

Marching band seasons in New York, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky are already underway, with competitions last weekend (9/13).

This weekend (9/20) will see the first big shows of the season for Washington state, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and most of New England.

California, Oregon, Idaho, New Mexico, Hawaii, South Dakota, and a few others really don't get going until the week after next (9/27) or later (in Hawaii's case).

Wisconsin's season is very short, only about five weeks, because they do competitions on Saturdays AND Sundays (New York also does this, but not many other states do). I won't be out there until after the state championships have already occurred, but hopefully I can provide some midwest info next season.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 am

Seasons start on the 27th in Both AR and TX. However there are very few events on those days. Big weekend starts on 4 Oct . Both TX and AR have short competitive seasons lasting 5 weeks. UIL State Championships are the First Monday and Tuesday in Nov so this year you have a 5 week season for most Bands.

LA starts on the 11th of Oct and goes through until the third week in Nov.

FL starts the first week in Oct and the FMBC Championships are held on the 21-23 of Nov in St. Petersburg, FL.

OK season starting on the 20th of Sep and closing out with the OBA State Championships on 29 Oct for Class 6A.

1 Nov is the final day for many States Marching Contests primarily in the Mid West and NE
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Scores have already been posted for the PIMBA Circuit(Western PA) contest on Sep 13 and Cavalcade of Bands(Eastern PA) events on 6 and 13 Sep 2014. Both are located on Web Pages on the Links Page.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq