Use of non-standard marching band uniforms for field shows

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Use of non-standard marching band uniforms for field shows

Post by flutemom » Sat May 31, 2014 11:34 am

I am wondering about a band using non-standard outfits for a field show (other than the dance guard). Have any of you long time band directors, band supporters, etc., ever seen the musicians in a field show wear a "costume" to fit their theme. For what I understand most or all bands use the same uniforms that are worn for football games and parades. And usually standard uniforms (even though there are a few exceptions such as Granada's kilts).

Would using a "costume" be too much of a gimmick in the judges' eyes?

Thanks in advance.

Fore!
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Use of non-standard marching band uniforms for field shows

Post by Fore! » Sat May 31, 2014 3:15 pm

I've seen this done on a few occasions - it's worked very effectively

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Sat May 31, 2014 5:29 pm

Actually I have seen this done more than a few times in TX.. In the late 90's Killeen HS wore Jungle Fatigues while performing Miss Saigon/ Another HS, Lorena wore gangster costume for their show featuring the music of the Show Chicago. Burnet HS used Korean War military fatigues while doing their show based on upon the music of Inchon. There have been numerous other shows that Bands have used costume. HOWEVER the Costume must follow the theme of the show.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by flutemom » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:33 am

So in these cases when an additional uniform or special costume is used for a field show, who is responsible for paying? The school, the band budget, the parents? A combination of the above?

And when the parents have to foot the bill, are they consulted first before the decision is made? I would imagine if the school was going to pay for some or all of the extra cost, the administration would have to agree.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 am

flutemom wrote:So in these cases when an additional uniform or special costume is used for a field show, who is responsible for paying? The school, the band budget, the parents? A combination of the above?

And when the parents have to foot the bill, are they consulted first before the decision is made? I would imagine if the school was going to pay for some or all of the extra cost, the administration would have to agree.
It depends on the school district. Since the uniforms will be used by the Band for UIL, the School District will probably pay for them along with the Band Boosters. Since Band is part of the school schedule, extras are usually paid for out of the School Budget or Band Boosters Budget.

Most of our field shows are decided almost six months in advance and in the case of having special uniforms this would be signed off on by the District Fine Arts Department. This is the same as having to buy costumes for the one act plays(which is also part of UIL). The guard is covered under the Bands costs. Interestingly enough, Drill Team is not a UIL sponsored activity in TX so the members have to foot most of the bill themselves. Right now it costs Girls about $1,200 for camp and uniforms for the year. That is high, however since Texans love the Kilgore Rangerettes, every High School has a Drill Team which is never short of applicants. Parents in TX have a lot of say about Band Costs during the marching season.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

flutemom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by flutemom » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Unfortunately, we're talking about California. Some school districts seem to be big on helping bands, while others don't.