Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Dennis Rodda

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Dear World Of Pageantry members,

It is with a heavy heart that I must pass along the following information to you:

"The Chino Invitational Committee learned last week that Co-founder Dennis P. Rodda passed away in his home. We are all very saddened by this news. He was a true lover of the performing arts and in particular the Band Review. He will be dearly missed. This year’s event will be dedicated to him. We know he would want us to carry on the great tradition of the Invitational, and the committee is starting our meetings early so we can do just that. Co-founder Harold Nelms has taken over the position of Chairman. At this time, only a private family memorial has been planned. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Chino Invitational Committee at hutchts@verizon.net.

Thank you,

The Chino Invitational Committee"

Having known Dennis off and on for several years, it was always a pleasure to chat with him at Invitationals about the event, the performances, and music education in general. He was truly dedicated to the events he helped operate, and has been a great educator, mentor, and friend to us on these boards for several years. As an alumnus of Chino High School, I can truly say that the impact he left on our program and event is immeasurable. He will be greatly missed.

If you have any questions, or would like to send condolences, please contact the Chino Invitational Committee at hutchts@verizon.net.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dennis Rodda

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 am

I am stunned! Dennis has been a good friend and an indispensable resource on this website. His dedication to the pageantry arts will be difficult to replace, he will be greatly missed!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:23 am

:( I'm stunned and speechless! I can't believe he's gone. He was such a great person and a great asset to the pageantry arts. Parades/Band Reviews (in particular the Chino Invitational) simply won't be the same without his presence.

-Luis

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:45 am

I had the distinct pleasure of working with Dennis during my tenure at Chino HS. He was a class act in every sense of the word. He remained my friend for 30 years, and was always an enthusiastic bandsman and march nerd (and I say that with love).

Together with Harold Nelms, he WAS the Chino Band Review for decades.

He will be very much missed.

JS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 am

Every year, Dennis and Harold organized and ran as good and efficient a band competition as you could ever hope to see. His love for the activity was evidenced in the assistance he gave to numerous other bands and band competitions around Southern California. And on top of all of that he was just a good guy. R.I.P. Dennis. :cry:

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm

:(
Although I'm in another state now, I did teach in So. California and remember the true magnificence that was the Chino Band Review, not only in the shear quality but how smoothly it ran, and that was Dennis in spades. He did it right from the beginning.
Like many others, I am shocked at his passing.
Donald Moore
Idaho

PJ
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PJ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:48 pm

So sorry to hear this news. I've known Dennis for 27 years. He was a mentor at the start of my teaching career and a friend after that. Always knowledgeable and always a gentleman, he supported this activity with loving dedication for years. I'll miss our conversations. Rest in peace my friend.

--Pete Jackson

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:39 pm

I almost feel as though I'm not "worthy" enough to post in this thread. "dr," as some of us called him, was a giant in the marching arts world. He had an incredible wealth of knowledge, had the passion like no other, and was a nice guy. I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting him one time. I will miss his posts, his enthusiasm for the arts...and I am thankful for his contribution to the arts--an impact that has been and will be felt for years to come!

Alan Irons

stewartjames008
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stewartjames008 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 pm

I can't believe it and No words.