Vista Tourny - What up with Percussion scores?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

What do you think about the Percussion Scores at Vista Tourny?

They were fair and accurate
40%
Over-inflated
60%

Total votes: 20

CrimsonCadetClarinet

Vista Tourny - What up with Percussion scores?

Post by CrimsonCadetClarinet » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:56 pm

Wow call it amazing, but in 4 years of band i find 5 percussions scoring in the 90's phenominal. Here at murrieta we got 85 the week before and then BAM!!! 93.8!!! Crazzzyyy. Now thats inflation.

timpanE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by timpanE » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:54 pm

Im curious to hear about people's thoughts on the different drumlines who were there....the scores are relatively close, and there isnt that far of a spread between the top 5... any thoughts people??

VHSbaritonplayer

Post by VHSbaritonplayer » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:05 pm

I'm from Valencia. We got fifth place overall in drumline. I thought it was so crazy that fifth place got an 91. That is so awesome that all five bands had their scores in the 90's. Very awesome. To top it off, a 3a band beat RBV, Rancho Bernardo, Valencia, and M.V, good stuff.

CrazyCali8605
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrazyCali8605 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:43 pm

the numbers being high or low doesnt really matter. they couldve been in the 20's if the judge really wanted, but either way, the 3a band beat rbv, valencia, MV, etc etc.

another thing, he (the judge) might have really liked a percussion group and given them oh say a 90, and then found one he liked even more, so he wouldve been obligated to give more points to the one he thought was good. u cant go, "oh by the way were taking away points because this group was ur score" or whatever.

but who knows, maybe there was just alot of talent.

CrimsonCadetClarinet

Post by CrimsonCadetClarinet » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:14 pm

Yeah congrats the 3A division as a whole! A good reminder to the roots of all bands when we each started out. It was my freshman year when murrieta valley got last place in every FST 3A.

Good work and good skill as we all work to get to 6A and above.

cc_hp_li

Post by cc_hp_li » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:42 pm

Mark you are 1 funny little man(boy). Anyway ya i totally agree with you on the scores. Bye :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :? 8-) 8-) 8-) :wink: :wink: :D :D :D
Great Job Murrieta Crimson Cadets

Jim
Crimson Cadets
Horn Line

rbv_trumpet05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Vista Tourny - What up with Percussion scores?

Post by rbv_trumpet05 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:16 pm

CrimsonCadetClarinet wrote:Wow call it amazing, but in 4 years of band i find 5 percussions scoring in the 90's phenominal. Here at murrieta we got 85 the week before and then BAM!!! 93.8!!! Crazzzyyy. Now thats inflation.
I did notice extremely high scores at the vista tourney, but hey either the judges were lenient, or everyone did an outstanding job! congrats again everyone, good luck at champs!!
RBV TRUMPETS I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

News Flash: Good lines score well

Post by Teever » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:54 pm

There's no surprises here folks - all the lines in the top 5 mentioned are groups with well-written and performed programs. In order to receive a "I" rating in each of the 3 percussion criterion evaluated (Repertoire, Performance Excellence, and Effect) the LOWEST score a group could receive is a 90.0 (scored at 360, 360, and 180, respectively). While it's unusual to see groups early on in the season earn a "I" rating in all 3 areas, (repertoire or performance excellence usually rate higher earlier), at this late time in the season, it's about time that these groups are hitting their peak in performance, so those numbers look right in line. For comparison, check the Los Altos percussion scores for the top 3 (all 90 and above).

BTW - who was the perc. judge at Vista?

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:26 pm

BTW - who was the perc. judge at Vista?
Brian Ransom.