Ever want to be a drum major? Competition season is here!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Ever want to be a drum major? Competition season is here!

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBUOOtvMpI

Above is a promotional video, highlighting the WDMA California Championships. Interested? That could be you featured in the next video!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are/want to become a drum major, then this is the time of year to get it going! The 2014 drum major competition season is just upon us.

The World Drum Major Association is the premiere circuit in Southern California for drum majors (and tryout-bound drum majors) to compete against students from across the western region, and gain valuable experience with judges commentary for the future.

WDMA encourages a healthy competitive spirit amongst performers with an emphasis on on personal growth. It's camp and competition circuit have been recognized by the SCSBOA, DCI, Halftime Magazine, and Marching.com Still curious? Heres a bit about the circuit.

Remember, ANYONE is able to perform! This is not a Drum Major-only competitive circuit!

1. Drum Majors can compete in both Field Conducting and Parade Spinning. Conductors will compete with a prepared 2-4 minute piece of your choice (no offensive language. CHECK YOUR SPECIFIC DIVISION for length requirements.) Mace/Military perform on an "L" pattern, once forward and once back, to music of your choice. You will ALWAYS compete with students of YOUR talent level. Check rules for time limits.

http://www.worlddrummajor.org/circuit/r ... gulations/

2. You perform in front of an audience, and a judging panel. you receive a score and full judges commentary on your performance, and judging sheets.

3. WDMA has an awards arch ceremony that involves ALL competitors for that day. Medals are awarded to the top 3 performers in each division.

4. You will be surrounded by an amazing group of musicians and supporters. What makes this circuit the best is not the awards, placements, or scores, but the amazing students that continue to make WDMA the premiere circuit that it is today. Without awesome performers like you, there is no WDMA.

Won't you join us?

Dm614
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Ever want to be a drum major? Competition season is here!

Post by Dm614 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Awesome video. I wish that I lived in Southern California :D

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Haha, well if youre ever able to make the trip, we would definitely welcome you as a competitor or spectator!

FYI, theres no admission fee for WDMA spectators!

Dm614
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Dm614 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Lol, thanks! I was planning to attend Champs but it's in May this year so my schedule doesn't work out. Even though I'm in NCBA, the WDMA drum majors pretty much taught me everything I know (through YouTube haha) so I would love to see them in person. You guys are an awesome organization and incomparable to what we have in the North. Really jealous.
Last edited by Dm614 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Well, what dates would you be able to make if you could get to a show and perform?

There may be a way to get you to the big show that is considerate of other performers and allows you the opportunity to join us. We would have to do some research though.

Where Nor Cal are you?

We've had plenty of fantastic Nor Cal drum majors perform with us! There is definitely a rich bed of talent up there as well, so much like WDMA, NCBA must be doing something right.

Dm614
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Dm614 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:31 pm

I actually have few weekends open, but I live high enough (around the Sacramento area)where getting to SoCal is quite a trouble (At least 6 hours to get to the closest one). Our high school concert band is going to make a trip to LA in spring, but unfortunately, there's no competition that day. The day of WDMA champs is also the day of Vallejo Band Review in NCBA, so I can't make that either. Thanks for asking though, hopefully I can make it next year!