Left Handed Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

bandman62
New Recruit
New Recruit

Left Handed Drum Majors

Post by bandman62 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:58 am

Are there any specific rules for left handed mace drum majors regarding the beating of time? Are they required to beat time with the mace in the right hand? We compete in NCBA, I have a student who will be competing in the L-Pattern competitions this spring, he is a novice. We want to make sure that he is fully prepared and practices appropriately.

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Left Handed Drum Majors

Post by clarinetking » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Most of my mace drum majors marched in scottish uniforms and beat time with their left hands as is tradition in England. Let your drum major beat time left handed....it should be ok....but it's NCBA so you never know.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

Dm614
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Dm614 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Never heard of special rules regarding left handed drum majors. I also never seen or heard of a drum major beating time with their left solely because they are left handed.. But I don't recall any rules in NCBA that states that a drum major can not beat time with their left hand. It does say though that the uniform must reflect the style in which the drum major performs, so if your uniform isn't Scottish, NCBA might catch you on that..

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 pm

There are no rules in the NCBA regarding left-handed drum majors and in what hand they must beat time. That decision should be predicated on what style your student performs. If it's British/Scottish, I recommend beating time in the left hand, as is the tradition and custom of such a drum major. If in the American style, drum majors almost always beat time with the left hand. There's no rule explicitly stating such a requirement, but it's best to do some research in order to not look silly. :oops: Best of luck in preparing for competitions.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir