1A SCSBOA.

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1A SCSBOA.

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:32 pm

We have 5 seniors and 3 freshmen. We were hoping for more freshman this year as our feeder colorguard had 14 8th graders. We lost them to the dance team, cheer and I don't want to do this activity anymore.

We are going to try real hard to get more than 3 new students in CG next year. We would like 20-25 in our guard next year.

trump543

Post by trump543 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Euphman wrote: When I saw Charter I was surprised to see so few in the Guard. It wasn't too long ago that they had a 30+ Guard, which really gave them a unique look amongst the other 1A's. Does anyone have a huge guard anymore in the smaller divisions?
If I recall correctly, Charter Oak had around 45 guard members in 2009(?), much outnumbering the band. I remember double-taking when I first saw them because they were so huge in numbers for a standard 1a marching unit.

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Yeah I remember one year at Championships seeing Charter Oak in the parking lot and realizing they actually had 2 buses for a 1A group because their guard was so big. Did a bit of a double take when I noticed that.

IndianaGary

Post by IndianaGary » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 am

I don't know if anybody has seen the weather report for this Saturday, but it may rain. Does anybody know what happens if it rains? What happens to the bands?

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 am

Depends on how much it rains/is raining I'd assume. I know my group has performed in rain a number of times the last few years and it was raining on us at Championships last year while we were unloading and during warm up. I think it stopped for most of the groups, but a few did march in some rain.

Not sure what happens if the conditions are at the point of a rain out though. Here's hoping the winds come in tonight or tomorrow and move all the rain away and we have great weather on Saturday.

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 am

IndianaGary wrote:I don't know if anybody has seen the weather report for this Saturday, but it may rain. Does anybody know what happens if it rains? What happens to the bands?
According to Weather.com the rain should be gone by Friday night. Of course, the next couple of days will make it tough to rehearse if it's raining. I wonder if groups would schedule an early rehearsal on Saturday to make up for lost practice time?

d.cos9999
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by d.cos9999 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Is it really fair to talk about a bands size? Most bands are doing all they can to keep themselves alive. We should be happy to have bands to watch and enjoy.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:33 am

Of course it is "fair" to talk about the size of a band. As soon as a director makes the decision to enter public competition they are open to discussion about all elements of their performance.

It is up to those of us who chose to discuss to keep the words appropriate.

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:42 am

Jim Bunselmeier wrote:Of course it is "fair" to talk about the size of a band. As soon as a director makes the decision to enter public competition they are open to discussion about all elements of their performance.

It is up to those of us who chose to discuss to keep the words appropriate.

Well said! :bow: