NCBA Parade Rankings - November 16th, 2013

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

SherlocK
New Recruit
New Recruit

NCBA Parade Rankings - November 16th, 2013

Post by SherlocK » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:12 pm

The Final Rankings of the year! It's been a pretty interesting year and I hope you all enjoyed the rankings! :) So without further ado, the Top 25!

1. Armijo
2. Las Plumas Oroville
3. Benicia
4. Irvington
5. Vanden
6. Franklin (Elk Grove)
7. Merced
t-8. Fairfield
t-8. San Benito
10. Golden Valley
11. Foothill
12. Concord
13. Rodriguez
14. Santa Cruz
15. Atwater
16. Oakridge
17. Livermore
18. Washington Union
19. Pitman
20. Livingston
21. Lincoln (Stockton)
22. Cesar Chavez
23. Buhach Colony
t-24. Grenada
t-24. Hanford West

Link to the Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

12drummersdrumming
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: NCBA Parade Rankings - November 16th, 2013

Post by 12drummersdrumming » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm sorry SherlocK..............but these rankings make absolutely no sense. I know you've explained your criteria, but when your criteria produces these results, I think you better go back to the drawing board.

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:12 am

I can't believe that you don't have Inderkum High School anywhere on your list. They scored a 92.15 at Lincoln on Saturday....well ahead of folks like Atwater and Chesar Chavez. I'm not sure how you arrive at your list but Inderkum needs to be on it.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 am

Note: these are adjusted "power" rankings. They may be (but won't necessarily be) a band's highest or last score of the season.

Hostrauser's 2013 End of Season NCBA Parade Rankings
------- 1-10 -------
95.35 Golden Valley
94.95 Armijo
94.65 Benicia
94.45 Las Plumas/Oroville
94.10 Franklin (EG)
93.55 Irvington
93.40 Rodriguez
93.15 Fairfield
92.85 Foothill
92.75 Homestead
------- 11-20 -------
92.35 San Benito
92.30 Vanden
92.15 Inderkum
92.10 Mission San Jose
91.70 Lincoln (S)
91.35 Granada
91.30 Washington Union
91.20 Merced
91.10 Pitman
90.95 Buchanan
------- 21-25 -------
90.85 Concord
90.70 Atwater
90.70 Mount Eden
90.55 Archbishop Riordan
90.40 Oak Ridge
90.40 Santa Cruz

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 am

Homestead does parades now? Thought they were just field show.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 am

clarinetking wrote:Homestead does parades now? Thought they were just field show.
They do Cupertino's parade every year. Saratoga did Cupertino's parade last year, too, but I think that was just a one-time deal to practice before going back to NYC to do Macy's.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 pm

So I've seen two "rankings" now...can't say I understand either of them...they both seem to throw out results of head to head competitions.

SherlocK
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SherlocK » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 am

clarinetking wrote:I can't believe that you don't have Inderkum High School anywhere on your list. They scored a 92.15 at Lincoln on Saturday....well ahead of folks like Atwater and Chesar Chavez. I'm not sure how you arrive at your list but Inderkum needs to be on it.
I've set up my system to value consistency over one time scores. Its a way to resolve the issue of different judging and the tendency of scores to bounce around, Inderkum did great at fairfield, much props on that. But their other results weighed them down.
JCYS wrote:So I've seen two "rankings" now...can't say I understand either of them...they both seem to throw out results of head to head competitions.
That is something I've looked into, but It's hard to assign a numerical value. For example, if LPO and GV each beat each other at different venues, which on is more valuable? My best try so far is assigning points based on placement. with a larger review having more points at stake. That way, it rewards bands who consistently place high at large reviews which theoretically means that bands who beat each other should be rewarded.

I will say I have been fiddling with it given the feedback and will continue to do so, its a lot of trial and error, hopefully its been improving though :) I will say this year seemed to be the most dynamic, lots of bands doing well instead of 1 or 2 bands sweeping every review. Great Season!

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Keep posting your rankings/opinions. I like seeing them. Opinions are like belly buttons....everyone has one. I like to see the variety of opinions that are out there.
"Soup"er man.

mr. music
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mr. music » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 pm

SherlocK wrote:
clarinetking wrote:I can't believe that you don't have Inderkum High School anywhere on your list. They scored a 92.15 at Lincoln on Saturday....well ahead of folks like Atwater and Chesar Chavez. I'm not sure how you arrive at your list but Inderkum needs to be on it.
I've set up my system to value consistency over one time scores. Its a way to resolve the issue of different judging and the tendency of scores to bounce around, Inderkum did great at fairfield, much props on that. But their other results weighed them down.
JCYS wrote:So I've seen two "rankings" now...can't say I understand either of them...they both seem to throw out results of head to head competitions.
That is something I've looked into, but It's hard to assign a numerical value. For example, if LPO and GV each beat each other at different venues, which on is more valuable? My best try so far is assigning points based on placement. with a larger review having more points at stake. That way, it rewards bands who consistently place high at large reviews which theoretically means that bands who beat each other should be rewarded.

I will say I have been fiddling with it given the feedback and will continue to do so, its a lot of trial and error, hopefully its been improving though :) I will say this year seemed to be the most dynamic, lots of bands doing well instead of 1 or 2 bands sweeping every review. Great Season!
So let get this straight, GV, who has been going head to head with the other top 2 bands is ranked low on your "calculated" ranking simply because they didn't go to Fairfield? Or do you really believe one of the best bands in NCBA should be 10th? Your system is majorly flawed sir.