A Great Job done by Ayala.

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

fidave
Rookie
Rookie

Re: A Great Job done by Ayala.

Post by fidave » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:00 pm

To Ayala: Those who are part of high school instrumental music programs in California (past or present) understand and appreciate your efforts in Indianapolis. Your accomplishment was nothing less than superb, particularly in light of the distance traveled to compete. To the student musicians (and their supportive parents), a job very well done.

Comparing competition frameworks between states is destined to become an effort in futility along the lines of comparing apples and oranges. They ain't the same.

:hijack:
A Smith & Wesson Always Beats Four Aces

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Here's my opinion: if California school music programs still received the support from the state that the bands in Indiana and Texas enjoy (ESPECIALLY at the K-8 level), California would be wiping the field with the rest of the country.

Just like we were 30-40 years ago, when almost no one in the country could touch Independence, Live Oak, or any number of the dozens of SoCal powerhouse bands. Prop 13 changed everything for California. For the worse. :td:
How would it be different today? If Prop 13 had not passed would every band be a 6A size band? Would every school have an orchestra?

Seems a lot of the music programs adjusted with fundraising and milking the parents for large donations...Add the Prop 13 money and take away the parent donations/fundraising...wouldn't it be a status quo?

HS for me was the immediate years post passage of Prop 13 and saw a lot of things like drivers ed, free uniforms and such go away...Today there seems to be larger bands than when I went to school in the 80s

Are bands better today? I seem to think so...Bands put out a ton more money to write a show than they did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s...Color Guard Uniforms stayed the same for years as well as the flags they spun...Today every year color guards have different uniforms as well as a vast variety of flags in their shows

If there was no Prop 13 I kind of want to hear opinions how music today would be envisioned...

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:08 am

judging does not make a band better or worse. its the efforts of the kids, parents, and staff. in that order. the type of judging has zero to do with it.

ergo, JLGORMAN, (with all due respect) it gets pretty old seeing you on here trying to tote about how much better texas is than california. we just don't care. were here to talk about fun and awesome performances, rankings, ideal systems etc. not to condescend to others to make ourselves feel better.

but ill throw you a bone -- i was in high school and got to compete against a band from Coronado, Tx. (i was with a san diego area band at BOA Las Vegas.) it was awesome watching their show. it was well put together and, even as a high schooler, it was inspiring. if i remember correctly, it was a very close shootout between them and Etiwanda.

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:54 am

Hmm. I'm trying with difficulty to edit a rant. I'm going to have to delete it. :mw:

In the meantime, I watched one of Ayala's performances from this year on YouTube and was very impressed. Congratulations on your well-deserved success at BOA GN.
Last edited by peapod on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mark Stone
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark Stone » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 am

With all due respect, how about you take your debate to another thread and let the members of Ayala and Valley Christian enjoy their success without it being clouded by controversy and debate.

Thank you,
Mark Stone, Ayala High School

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 am

Congrats to Ayala on a great season. Just making it to finals alone is something to be proud of. On another note, I'm curious how Cedar Ridge went from 5th in semis to 11th in finals. JL?

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brich » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 am

I watched the BOA live stream, and was very impressed with Ayala's show...fine musical performance and strong percussion too. That said, the top bands from Texas and Indiana were musically very strong with some excellent woodwind soloists as well.

I would opine, however, that even the highest scoring bands showed a bunch of phasing flaws in their marching and spacing flaws as well; but for me (just like way back in the day with Reynolds, Wilcox and Curtis at CSULB) the quality of sound was the real focus and these high school kids can really crank!

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 am

I agree there was a ton of phasing and spacing issues visually...but no one had huge problems with their sound. Round Rock melted my face at the first impact...good lord...

Anyway, congrats Ayala, way to represent the W(B)est coast!!

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 am

Kids are kids. It doesn't matter where they grow up. They might be reading this. They all deserve the same amount of respect and encouragement.

Kudos to all.

Brass4Life
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Brass4Life » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:43 am

Mark Stone wrote:With all due respect, how about you take your debate to another thread and let the members of Ayala and Valley Christian enjoy their success without it being clouded by controversy and debate.

Thank you,

Absolutely, Mark. Looking forward to seeing you and the show Wednesday!!

Mike

critter
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by critter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 am

cup_o_noodles007 wrote: ergo, JLGORMAN, (with all due respect) it gets pretty old seeing you on here trying to tote about how much better texas is than california. we just don't care. were here to talk about fun and awesome performances, rankings, ideal systems etc. not to condescend to others to make ourselves feel better.
And you would think that if Texas is so much better they would have their own forum to talk about how much better they are than CA.

Congrats to Ayala. Funding/no funding aside, it has taken over 20 years for their program to get to the level they are. That persistency alone is admirable.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 am

A good point was brought up in the previous post, consistency. Mark Stone opened Ayala and has been building the band program for over 20 years. It never seems to have an off year. A slow build in numbers and performance level over two decades has taken them to where they are today.

Ayala is consistently very good.

and staff 00

Post by and staff 00 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 am

I tend not to ever post on any type of forum but, I am going to have to drop my .025 cents here.

First off, congratulations to the students, staff and parents of the Ayala Band and Color guard. The BAC has had a long standing tradition of excellence under the direction of Mark Stone. The ensemble has always represented their school, community and their state with class, musicianship and above all style. This is due to the the fact that Mr. Stone teaches people first and music second. It is evident whenever you encounter any member of that program. Making the top 12 in the nation is a huge achievement, one that is now in the history books and one that everyone in the BAC will always remember. Once again congratulations.

Now, after I read this thread I realize why I had not visited this site for a while. Why taint such a momentous accomplishment with thoughts of who is better in what state, what size the band is, or what Texan group ever set foot on a WGI floor?

It seems to me that sometimes people forget that we all have one common thread holding us all together regardless of what state we are in. That of course would be the students of every music program that are spending hundreds of hours on a 100 yard football field trying to achieve a goal as a team. For some the goal could be just to sound like a band for the first time ever, for others it could be to be in the top 5 at WBA, SCSBOA or UIL. And for some, it would be to sit on the field at Lucas oil stadium with the top 12 in the nation. Regardless of the goal, the bottom line is the activity is about those members not about the adults. It is unfortunate when adults get in the way with these type of views, opinions and discussions when all that needed to be said on this thread was... CONGRATULATIONS.

Enjoy it Ayala you earned it.