jackN

Franklin Middle School robbed while performing concert

Post by jackN » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:23 am

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Franklin Middle School robbed while performing concert

Post by Psalm 56 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Yes... I did hear about this and it was awesome the VALLEJO HIGH SCHOOL ALUM - NEW YORK YANKEES PITCHER C.C. SABATHIA donated $1,000 to replace the money. YAYAY!!! :yeah:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 pm

C.C. Sabathia went to school at Vallejo H.S. with competitive eater Joey Chestnut... who is the son of the then-band director Merlin Chestnut.

Good to hear Sabathia remembering his roots.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 am

At that same time (Sabathia/Chestnut) at Vallejo High School there was a student named John Zarco. Who was a FANTASTIC percussion instructor. A fantastic student teacher of mine. And will soon be DR. ZARCO receiving his Doctorate in Music from University of Minnesota!!!! He is looking for a job right now!! Must have been an EXTRA good time to be at Vallejo High School back then! The stars must have been lined up.

mr. music
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mr. music » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Psalm 56 wrote:At that same time (Sabathia/Chestnut) at Vallejo High School there was a student named John Zarco. Who was a FANTASTIC percussion instructor. A fantastic student teacher of mine. And will soon be DR. ZARCO receiving his Doctorate in Music from University of Minnesota!!!! He is looking for a job right now!! Must have been an EXTRA good time to be at Vallejo High School back then! The stars must have been lined up.
Golden Valley is opening up at the end of this year.....somethin to look into....

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:15 pm

mr. music wrote:
Psalm 56 wrote:At that same time (Sabathia/Chestnut) at Vallejo High School there was a student named John Zarco. Who was a FANTASTIC percussion instructor. A fantastic student teacher of mine. And will soon be DR. ZARCO receiving his Doctorate in Music from University of Minnesota!!!! He is looking for a job right now!! Must have been an EXTRA good time to be at Vallejo High School back then! The stars must have been lined up.
Golden Valley is opening up at the end of this year.....somethin to look into....
Yikes!!! Not to hijack this thread!! REALLY? Is this official? I have known Greg for YEARS and I have yet to have heard this. :cry: Dr. Zarco will be a great band director!!! By the way... :yeah:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:40 pm

mr. music wrote:Golden Valley is opening up at the end of this year.....somethin to look into....
El Capitan HS in Merced is opening up next year. Is Greg heading there or finally retiring?

mr. music
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mr. music » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 am

Hostrauser wrote:
mr. music wrote:Golden Valley is opening up at the end of this year.....somethin to look into....
El Capitan HS in Merced is opening up next year. Is Greg heading there or finally retiring?
heard through a friend that on Gregs facebook page he has announced his "final spring concert" will be in may, as well as openly saying he is retiring. And yeah, sorry to highjack this topic. :oops:

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:34 pm

mr. music wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
heard through a friend that on Gregs facebook page he has announced his "final spring concert" will be in may, as well as openly saying he is retiring. And yeah, sorry to highjack this topic. :oops:
My final thought on this topic...well a couple of thoughts...
1. really -- another high school in Merced?!?! ok...
2. received Christmas card from Greg and no mention of retirement. However, as many of us who have done this job longer than 20 years start to do, I know he has been discussing the possibility of retirement. So, thank you for sharing the news. If the announcement of the retirement is accurate, Greg is a WONDERFUL teacher and those who have been blessed to have worked with him and/or seen/heard his bands appreciate his ability to do a GREAT JOB!!! In the past five/seven years we have seen some wonderful music teachers retire or pass away. :cry:

Now back to the real topic...GLAD TO HEAR THAT CC SABATHIA GAVE FMS MONEY TO REPLACE THE STOLEN MONEY (hope they caught the "creatons" who stole the money) AND LOOK FOWARD TO SEEING FMS COMPETE THIS WINTERPERCUSSION/GUARD SEASON!! :yeah: