Rancho Verde 2011 Misjudged at SCSBOA 2011 Finals?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bomo_123

Rancho Verde 2011 Misjudged at SCSBOA 2011 Finals?

Post by bomo_123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:54 am

Their last show before finals was an 88.7, it was amazing, but the score at finals was a 78 (even though it was better than the 88.7). I personally feel the judges were not fair. Does anybody else agree with this? Please be mature, no hating is necessary. I just want to see other people's input. :(
Last edited by bomo_123 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rancho Verde 2011 Screwed over at SCSBOA 2011 Finals

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 am

You do know that making a posting like this as your FIRST post with a new username means your username will be trashed and have to be abandoned? They always are after somone signs up and makes one post just to get sympathy... :roll:

And next I will get an email from the band director asking me to remove the offending posting... oh well....
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

bomo_123

Post by bomo_123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:07 am

Not asking for sympathy, just input. Curious if they really did that bad.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 am

Just a warning.... prepare to duck and cover!

If you know bands and you were there, you shouldn't have to ask. :shock:

...and is that "they" in reality a "we"?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

bomo_123

Re: Rancho Verde 2011 Screwed over at SCSBOA 2011 Finals?

Post by bomo_123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:13 am

I am a parent.
I was just wondering if my thoughts were biased.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rancho Verde 2011 Screwed over at SCSBOA 2011 Finals?

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 am

bomo_123 wrote:I am a parent.
Good thing you stated this.... now you might actually get some good feed back on the issue. The folks here can smell blood in the water if they think it is a student or an instructor looking for a shoulder to cry on.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Rancho Verde 2011 Misjudged at SCSBOA 2011 Finals?

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:51 am

It's all relative to the panels, the performances, the competition...Charter Oak broke 85 at their last show before championships, and then scored a 77 yesterday. They still took 1st in their division, however. Does that mean they did worse yesterday?

I'm certain that both these groups weren't the only ones that had a score drop-off yesterday from their previous show. But it doesn't mean they did worse. Different judges have different opinions. The competition changes from show to show. I know the competition was tougher for every band at every show site yesterday.

If you know your kids did great, the absolute best they could do... that's all that matters.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

spillmanm
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by spillmanm » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 am

I have now logged hundreds of hours as a judge in various circuits, and have held board positions in two organizations. I have been dealing with these perception issues for years now and just wanted to give my perspective from a judge and organization point of view.

On championships day, the best performing schools in each division get together to compete for the championship title. In most cases, it is the first time that they are all at the same show together. The judges have a duty to rank, and rate the ensembles. The order in which I presented the judges duties is intentional. Did the judge(s) put the right band in the right place? They have a duty to make a decision, and then pair a rating with that decision. At times, although the band may have scored in the same criteria box as they had been placed on in shows leading up to the final event, they may be in a different area of that box based on their ranking and reflective rating in comparison to the competition of the day.

Scores may drop or rise based on the ranking and rating principle as well given the groups are being compared to the best in the division on the same day. You also have to factor in the fact that SCSBOA used guest judges that may have never seen the groups prior to this evaluation. Although regular judges don't usually take past scores into consideration when using criteria based scoring, they have had the luxury of remembering what the quality was in the past. That has an influence on scores at times. Guest judges will call it as they see it using the rank and rate principle of judging. When you invite in high-quality guest judges as SCSBOA did this past weekend, you have to let go of scores a little bit, and enjoy the quality of education the kids are getting from the feedback the judges are giving.

The bottom line to consider is did the ranking come out in the order it should have. We can always argue our opinion on what the order should be, but we have to appreciate that 6 - 9 judges came together and dissected the show by captions from the same vantage point, and picked a winner. When we sit in the audience or stand on the track, we don't have the same total package of adjudication tools that the judging panel does.

For those of you that spend hours of your free time in press boxes across the country to give back to the activity that we all have benefited from - THANK YOU!!!

Kind Regards,
Michael J. Spillman
President, SCJA
Active Adjudicator - Various Organizations
Michael Spillman

bomo_123

Post by bomo_123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Thank you for your responses.

IShallFollowYourSong
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by IShallFollowYourSong » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 am

I just want to ask this parent if Rancho Verde has lost a shako with plume and a pair of shoes? As I was walking out of the bus parking lot to my car, I saw a truck with trailer that says Rancho Verde and it had a shako with plume and a pair of shoes on the flat bed. It was exiting towards the regular parking lot, so I yelled out towards the exit hoping someone would see it and stop the truck, people heard and looked towards my way but.... :cry:
A bad band director doesn't know what he wants, and good band director do know, and an excellent band director knows how to get it...

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Spillman did a great job explaining. Saved me the trouble.

Glad this person identified themselves as a parent. I smelled blood and my computer wasn't even on. :roll:

bomo_123

Post by bomo_123 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:36 pm

@IShallFollowYourSong
I am not currently aware of a missing shako but i will ty to find out. Thank you
PS-are you the IShallFollowYourSong with the multiple marching band youtbue videos?