CCBR Field Show

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

BandUhMom

CCBR Field Show

Post by BandUhMom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Question:

My nephew's band was supposed to be in the field show, but then it was cancelled. Does anyone know why? I was told it was because of low turn out. How many were entered? Thanks. This would've been the only time I could have seen him, I'm very disappointed!

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: CCBR Field Show

Post by PGOK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:22 pm

My understanding was, only three bands entered.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

rmalum
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rmalum » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:03 pm

BandUhMom wrote:Question:

My nephew's band was supposed to be in the field show, but then it was cancelled. Does anyone know why? I was told it was because of low turn out. How many were entered? Thanks. This would've been the only time I could have seen him, I'm very disappointed!
From WBA Site: (I think this was also call the Central California Band Review)

Merced Field show has been canceled 09/07
It is with much regret that the Merced band show has been cancelled by the sponsor. This choice was due to a lack of enrollment by the bands, in order to make it viable for them to cover the costs of the event. In this tough economic times, programs cannot be too careful with their budgets, and financial commitments. Bands entered in this event will have the opportunity to attend the Gilroy show on the same weekend, select an alternate show on another weekend, or request a refund for the event. Both the Merced boosters and WBA apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you and the disruption to your schedules. WBA would also like to thank the Merced boosters, who have been a wonderful part of the WBA calendar for many years.
Definition of Insanity: To continue to do the same thing and expect a different result.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Nope, not the same event. The CCBR is an NCBA event hosted by Golden Valley the first weekend in November. The WBA event is usually earlier in the season.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Nope, not the same event. The CCBR is an NCBA event hosted by Golden Valley the first weekend in November. The WBA event is usually earlier in the season.
Nope, it is hosted by Golden Valley, but it's the second Saturday in November. :wink:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56 pm

I knew that, don't know why I typed first. MY FINGERS, THEY BETRAY ME! :crazy:

rmalum
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rmalum » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Nope, not the same event. The CCBR is an NCBA event hosted by Golden Valley the first weekend in November. The WBA event is usually earlier in the season.

Whoops... sorry for the misinformation.

Story from the Modesto Bee: http://www.modbee.com/2011/11/04/193437 ... crowd.html

Story from Merced Sun-Star:
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2011/11/03 ... ng-in.html

Link to the Host Band's site for the event with e-mail links to the Band Director and Booster Club. Hope you are able to confirm or debunk the rumor:

http://www.muhsd.k12.ca.us//site/Defaul ... ageID=8802
Definition of Insanity: To continue to do the same thing and expect a different result.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 am

rmalum wrote:Hope you are able to confirm or debunk the rumor
What rumor? Those stories look accurate.

The WBA Merced field show (hosted by Merced HS in October) was cancelled due to lack of enrollment (actually, I'm not sure it was ever on WBA's schedule this fall).

The field show portion of the NCBA Central California Band Review (hosted by Golden Valley HS in November) was cancelled due to lack of enrollment, but the parade and jazz competitions will go on as planned.

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

GV has never been in charge of the field show portion of the CCBR event. Since its (CCBR) relocation back in merced, Atwater High school has always hosted the field show at their school that same evening. The event was cancelled due to lack of groups. The Field show hosted by Merced High in October was cancelled for the same reason.
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head

MasterT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MasterT » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 am

Powerhouse08 wrote:GV has never been in charge of the field show portion of the CCBR event. Since its (CCBR) relocation back in merced, Atwater High school has always hosted the field show at their school that same evening.
True, but the GV band website made it sound like they had jurisdiction over the field show tournament for 2011. Especially since it was going to be held in their stadium.

I guess it's kind of a moot point now, but just curious if that was Golden Valley's initial intent.
Once a drum major, always a drum major.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:23 am

MasterT wrote:
Powerhouse08 wrote:GV has never been in charge of the field show portion of the CCBR event. Since its (CCBR) relocation back in merced, Atwater High school has always hosted the field show at their school that same evening.
True, but the GV band website made it sound like they had jurisdiction over the field show tournament for 2011. Especially since it was going to be held in their stadium.

I guess it's kind of a moot point now, but just curious if that was Golden Valley's initial intent.
I spoke to Mr. Chritiansen about this very topic in Lodi. GVHS has a brand new BIG stadium, and the field show was to be on that campus. However, only three bands were enrolled.

The reason field was at Atwater was because, until this year, none of the Merced high schools had stadiums. Their football games were played at Stadium 76 on the Merced College campus. Many years ago, the field comp was done at Merced College, but there are of course big fees for that type of venue.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx