Band Ten Hut! ________________

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Band Ten Hut! ________________

Post by The Aceman » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:59 pm

Just wondering, what does your band yell when called up to attention? What is the command the drum major gives?

For us the command is Band Ten Hut, and the response is Hit.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

soso21280
New Recruit
New Recruit

i miss this

Post by soso21280 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:35 pm

lately most schools will yell out "one" when called to attntions. (I personaly like to be comanded corp ten hut). But it is allways nice to see a uniform visual silence after a comand. I sure miss the days when you get to hear "win" after the comands though, i think that idea may have gone down the drain. :flush:

MysticalCheerioz

Post by MysticalCheerioz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:58 pm

Upland go's Band ten hut (sp?)...and it's *swoosh!* ...silence, hehe. We don't have a reply : )

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:03 pm

When I marched, we called our Drum Major's name.

Band ten hut..ACE

I don't know what they do know, being that he graduated.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

DJTyrant
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DJTyrant » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:09 pm

Buena had silence. I think they still do the same thing.
Jimmy Blocksom
Assistant Drum Major
Buena High School
GRADUATED
I miss marching, I really do...my life feels a little empty without it...

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:35 pm

Trabuco has silence too. I never knew some people talked, that's really different.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Verbal Response

Post by altohack » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:43 pm

What does a strong verbal response add to in terms of judging? Showmanship?
No regrets

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:48 pm

When they teach new people about attention they tell them to try to look intimidating.

When everyone shouts a short one syllable word, and they shout it together, it really can be itimidating.

I remember we would do it right before we started performing. We shouted it so loud after being called to attention that it would reverberate off the walls and sort of echo. And when you are a band of about 85 people and you get this loud echo, its impressive.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Ryan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:29 pm

formermarcher wrote:When they teach new people about attention they tell them to try to look intimidating.

When everyone shouts a short one syllable word, and they shout it together, it really can be itimidating.

I remember we would do it right before we started performing. We shouted it so loud after being called to attention that it would reverberate off the walls and sort of echo. And when you are a band of about 85 people and you get this loud echo, its impressive.
i can relate to that really well...when i was drum major at mayfair (and even a couple years before), we used the command, "corps ten hut!" the band would respond with a loud, resounding "hut!" the band still uses the same commands. we've always been a loud and responsive band even during my freshman year. back then we had the command of "squad aten hut!" and the band would respond with "one!" we would yell incredibly loud and then make the judges' and spectators' ears bleed with our horrid playing. if a band is going to respond with a thundering hut then they had better be able to back it up. i always loved the south gate parade because those buildings would just make our voices echo even more...ahh i miss marching.

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:37 pm

Our attention command is "Band Ten Hut!" and everyone yells "CAVS!" (we swing our left arm out if we're not already at attention). When we halt, we yell "S H S!" We always do it extra loud during football games to intimidate the other bands. Always a fun thing to do heheh :roll: :D
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

One!

Post by MoophoniumMan » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:44 pm

At Vista Murrieta, we shout "one!" :o after "band atten hut" is called. This can be intimidating if used properly, i.e.- one big solid, together, voice. Or if you are all not in sync it is probably just a prelude to to suckiness that will soon follow.
As far as I know (would someone please correct me if I'm wrong) it does make a difference in the drum major's score...

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:47 pm

Arcadia does a really cool one.

The drum major says, "Band...Aten Hut!" And the band goes "A-PA-CHE!!!" :shock: Oh my, it is loud.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Ryan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: One!

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:47 pm

vmhs_euphonium wrote: As far as I know (would someone please correct me if I'm wrong) it does make a difference in the drum major's score...
i don't know if it directly helps the drum major on paper, but it always helped me indirectly whenever i competed because it gave me the confidence knowing that the band would respond with such force to my command.

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:53 pm

We say "one" like everyone else, and we're taught to push from the diaphragm (spelling?) and open our throats to get that "manly" voice... When done correctly, it's loud, when not done correctly, well... makes ya wonder why you're doing it...
OHS '01 - '05

soloboe

Post by soloboe » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:44 pm

MCclarinetdude wrote:Arcadia does a really cool one.

The drum major says, "Band...Aten Hut!" And the band goes "A-PA-CHE!!!" :shock: Oh my, it is loud.
For Arcadia, we actually go "PA-CHE" instead of "A-PA-CHE" since apache is three syllables. Anyways, thanks for the compliment!! :)