Perception of WBA - FROM A FIRST TIMER

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Perception of WBA - FROM A FIRST TIMER

Post by Psalm 56 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:42 pm

After being a member of NCBA since the beginning, I have chosen to see what other associations are offering. MY GOODNESS... :) WBA?! The level of all the ensembles is amazing. After teaching high school for 23 years, I do have an understanding (that others will be more than happy to differ with) that there are factors such as money and time spent on field shows that will make a difference. Yet, what a difference?! No jealousy...No envy....JUST TOTAL RESPECT for what I saw/heard from all the ensembles at CHABOT COLLEGE last night. Do I want my students to have similar experiences?!?! Only if I don't "hurt" them and/or their parents. "Hurt" - too much time; too much money; too much stress; becoming out of balance. AVOID BEING MANIC!!! :td: If I can continue to have my organization understand that to be the best means we need time and money....we should be "ok"!! Time on the field (more than the current Monday Night and Saturday). Money to hire instructors...for right now it is ME and MY BEAUTIFUL/WONDERFUL WIFE!! plus two alumni who did not march field shows; and a wonderful percussion instructor.

Congratulations to the ensembles that my students ENJOYED seeing last night at CHABOT COLLEGE, especially James Logan; Homestead; and our neighbors...AVHS.

I encourage others to experience WBA and NCBA. Doing both can be a positive thing. I did NCBA for over 15 years. I just want my students and I experience something different....WBA IS DIFFERENT THAN NCBA. Both associations have something to offer...it will be up to the band director to see what and how those offerings best suit their students!!!!

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Perception of WBA - FROM A FIRST TIMER

Post by supermutant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Not just band in terms of time and money, but our fields are full of "travel" teams on Saturday and Sunday starting at 7AM and running until city codes require them to turn off the lights. All in complete Major league uniforms (they do cost money), all with coaches who collect even more money from the parents. 8-)

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Perception of WBA - FROM A FIRST TIMER

Post by Psalm 56 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:09 pm

supermutant wrote:Not just band in terms of time and money, but our fields are full of "travel" teams on Saturday and Sunday starting at 7AM and running until city codes require them to turn off the lights. All in complete Major league uniforms (they do cost money), all with coaches who collect even more money from the parents. 8-)
I would include your response under the "umbrella" of time. Lack of time for access to the field. thanks... Still was impressed.

Different topic: looking forward to a "circuit" that will consider having an "open division" - similar to what athletics does. An "open" division based on: number of instructors; number of minutes per week rehearsal (similar to what CIF does); budget... then numbers of MUSICIANS. I think that this can and should be discussed. Yes...we will then need to trust the directors that they will be honest with their information.