10 best field high school marching bands in CA

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

thomas9tran
New Recruit
New Recruit

10 best field high school marching bands in CA

Post by thomas9tran » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 pm

im curious what are the top10 best field marchingbands in CA. i already know most is from WBA but what about both scsboa and wba?
Sophomore in Fountain Valley High School
Baritone Member
Class of 2014
2010-Love and War
2011- Monolithic
2012-????
2013-????

"Rise to the ranks and become the best of the best. That's what a musician should be"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: 10 best field high school marching bands in CA

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:30 am

I came up with 12, and just couldn't eliminate any of them.

IMO, and in alphabetical order...

Amador Valley
Ayala
Chino
Clovis West
Homestead
James Logan
Mission Viejo
Poway
Rancho Bernardo
Upland
Vista Murrieta
William S. Hart

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 am

I know a "marching band" refers to a "band that marches" but we could/should break this down to Top 10 Field bands and Top 10 Street Bands OR Top 10 Combined Bands.

My Top 10 Field Bands are:

1. James Logan
2. Ayala
3. Mission Viejo
4. Chino
5. Homestead
6. Amador Valley
7. Vista Murrieta
8. Upland
9. Poway
10. Hart

midavid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midavid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 pm

The first two responses to this posting did not include Arcadia. Did I miss something? This forum typically holds Arcadia with such high esteem.

Can I also throw in Live Oak Emerald Regime and Fred C. Beyer Marching Patriots to the lists above?
"You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." -Lisa Simpson

"Mom, I'm going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life: by pressing ALT F5 repeatedly." -Bart Simpson

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:33 pm

midavid wrote:The first two responses to this posting did not include Arcadia. Did I miss something? This forum typically holds Arcadia with such high esteem.

Can I also throw in Live Oak Emerald Regime and Fred C. Beyer Marching Patriots to the lists above?
The request was for the 10 best field bands in the state. Arcadia, Beyer, and Live Oak all do not make that list for me. Arcadia would be in the Top 20, definitely.

archbananas
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by archbananas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
midavid wrote:The first two responses to this posting did not include Arcadia. Did I miss something? This forum typically holds Arcadia with such high esteem.

The request was for the 10 best field bands in the state. Arcadia, Beyer, and Live Oak all do not make that list for me. Arcadia would be in the Top 20, definitely.
I would like to see you're Top 100 HS Marching Bands in CA 8-)

I have a feeling it'll be just as popular as your parade march list :king:

thomas9tran
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by thomas9tran » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:09 pm

to tell u the truth i think that (best-least) marching band is

logan
mission viejo
ayala
rancho bernardo
chino
upland
fountain valley
hart
vista murrieta
etiwanda

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 am

archbananas wrote:I would like to see you're Top 100 HS Marching Bands in CA 8-)

I have a feeling it'll be just as popular as your parade march list :king:
Hmmm. It would take some compilation due to the different circuits, and I'd have to segment out some data from my spreadsheet... An interesting proposition... :hum:

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Is it spring already?

My top 10 field high school marching bands in CA (in order):

1. James Logan H.S.
2. Clovis West H.S.
3. Ayala H.S.
4. Mission Viejo H.S.
5. Vista Murrieta H.S.
6. Rancho Bernardo H.S.
7. Chino H.S.
8. Homestead H.S.
9. Amador Valley H.S.
10. Poway H.S.

Alan I.

P.S. Clovis West is the new number two. Don't forget that. Don't believe me? Then I dare you to enter a BOA show with them this year...

Zenmarch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Zenmarch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:02 am

airons0678 wrote:Is it spring already?

1. James Logan H.S.
2. Clovis West H.S.
3. Ayala H.S.
4. Mission Viejo H.S.
5. Vista Murrieta H.S.
6. Rancho Bernardo H.S.
7. Chino H.S.
8. Homestead H.S.
9. Amador Valley H.S.
10. Poway H.S.

Alan I.

P.S. Clovis West is the new number two. Don't forget that. Don't believe me? Then I dare you to enter a BOA show with them this year...
I'm sure both Ayala and Vista Murrieta will be at BOA's So. CA's regional in October where they both placed ahead of Clovis West last year. What's this "dare you......." supposed to mean? Are you saying that CW is going to leap frog Ayala this year? Care to place a little wager on that? :wink:
And the hits just keep on coming!
JP
The Ohio State University Marching Band '75-'79
Centerville HS Jazz Band '73-'75

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:22 am

Zenmarch wrote:

1. James Logan H.S.
2. Clovis West H.S.
3. Ayala H.S.
4. Mission Viejo H.S.
5. Vista Murrieta H.S.
6. Rancho Bernardo H.S.
7. Chino H.S.
8. Homestead H.S.
9. Amador Valley H.S.
10. Poway H.S.

Alan I.

I'm sure both Ayala and Vista Murrieta will be at BOA's So. CA's regional in October where they both placed ahead of Clovis West last year. What's this "dare you......." supposed to mean? Are you saying that CW is going to leap frog Ayala this year? Care to place a little wager on that? :wink:
Wow. Are you saying that because both Ayala and Vista Murrieta placed over Clovis West by a little more than one point at an early season show (October 23rd is pretty early season) that makes them "better" than Clovis West? Whatever...

Alan I.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:51 am

airons0678 wrote:
Zenmarch wrote:

1. James Logan H.S.
2. Clovis West H.S.
3. Ayala H.S.
4. Mission Viejo H.S.
5. Vista Murrieta H.S.
6. Rancho Bernardo H.S.
7. Chino H.S.
8. Homestead H.S.
9. Amador Valley H.S.
10. Poway H.S.

Alan I.

Wow. Are you saying that because both Ayala and Vista Murrieta placed over Clovis West by a little more than one point at an early season show (October 23rd is pretty early season) that makes them "better" than Clovis West? Whatever...

Alan I.
BTW, I saw all three of these bands in Hemet. CW *clearly* outdesigned EVERY band at this event. Had they been just a LITTLE bit cleaner than Ayala and VM Ayala and VM would have been in the 2nd and 3rd spots easily. But the big proof is in St. George, where American Fork--better than most bands in California (even in their weaker years)--got STOMPED on by CW, and I don't think it takes rocket science to figure THAT one out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwr5RwUy0cI (point of referrence for American Fork High School)

I didn't just plug in some magic numbers into a calculator with pretend weighting and made-up rules for feel-good outcomes. No, MY top 10 is THE top 10, IMHO. You can accept it...or not. I don't care.

Thank you for your time.

Alan I.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

airons0678 wrote:BTW, I saw all three of these bands in Hemet. CW *clearly* outdesigned EVERY band at this event. Had they been just a LITTLE bit cleaner than Ayala and VM Ayala and VM would have been in the 2nd and 3rd spots easily.
For what it's worth, I've spoken with one of the judges from BOA Hemet last fall, and he said the exact same thing: Clovis West had the best designed show at the regional, their level of performance just couldn't top Vista Murrieta or Ayala at that time.

He also thought Chino Hills had a lot of potential and would be one to watch out for in the coming years.

Zenmarch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Zenmarch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 am

My response was a toungue in cheek response to Alan L's post. I don't really care for anyone saying things like "I dare....". That also implies that schools like Ayala and VM are going to remain status quo while others improve. Knowing directors Mr. Stone and Mr. Wade I hardly believe that's going to be the case.

FWIW, I spoke to three judges last fall who judged the event and only one of the three thought CW had the best designed show, the other two thought Ayala's show was better designed. All three thought VM was muscially superior than the other two. So, what does this mean really? It almost impossible to judge an art.
And the hits just keep on coming!
JP
The Ohio State University Marching Band '75-'79
Centerville HS Jazz Band '73-'75

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Zenmarch wrote:My response was a toungue in cheek response to Alan L's post. I don't really care for anyone saying things like "I dare....". That also implies that schools like Ayala and VM are going to remain status quo while others improve. Knowing directors Mr. Stone and Mr. Wade I hardly believe that's going to be the case.

FWIW, I spoke to three judges last fall who judged the event and only one of the three thought CW had the best designed show, the other two thought Ayala's show was better designed. All three thought VM was muscially superior than the other two. So, what does this mean really? It almost impossible to judge an art.
You have a point there, Zenmarch. I am not THE authority on high school marching bands, nor is anyone here. This top 10 list is just a "best educated guess" AT BEST game. I think my list is pretty dope, obviously. Hostrauser has a fun, interesting list. (I didn't agree 100% with it, but it is pretty slick.) I saw the other lists--they had some substance.

As for Ayala and Vista Murrieta: I highly doubt they will remain "status quo"...or at least I hope not! But it's fun to think there are some new guys that will give them a run for their money in coming years.

As for Vista Murrieta: I know you have ties to them. I have a lot of respect for these former BOA GN Esprit de Corps winners. I ranked them 5th, even though they got slapped around a bit at the WBA Championships...but I'd say they had one of the more CONSISTENT ensembles of last year. (Excellent show.)

I can't wait to see what'll happen in 2011. Watch out for Clovis West, and I was going to say "watch out for Chapparal (CA), too," but sadly I cannot say that anymore. :(

Have a splendid day now.

Alan I.