QUEEN MARY GUARDSMEN AND MUSICIANS

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

QUEEN MARY GUARDSMEN AND MUSICIANS

Post by LBRSR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Is there anyone here in the forum that might have used to work at the Queen Mary, in Long Beach, as a Guardsman or Musician back in the 70's. Would love to relive memories of those days. I was a guardsman for one summer in 1979, while attending CSULB. It was the best part time job I had. I remember John Hannan, Kevin Perle, Kyle (the guy in charge of the program), Lee Schwartz (hope I did not kill the name) and his kid brother and another friend only by Greg. Are there any pictures that exist from those days, I only have 2, one of myself and an ex girlfriend standing next to me, while standing sentry duty and the other of my friend Greg, while marching his beat, with another guard standing sentry in the distance. Would be great to hear from anyone who might have worked there during that period.

Glenn Stacy

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: QUEEN MARY GUARDSMEN AND MUSICIANS

Post by ZJH » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:12 pm

JCYS was a musician on the Queen Mary. I'm sure he'll see this thread soon.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:26 pm

That would be nice to see other pics, if they exist, other than the 2 I have. It would be nice to chat with some of these guys and relive those fun memories.

JGSLB

Post by JGSLB » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:23 pm

I came across this page looking for information on Kevin Perle and his brother Brian.
I worked as a guardsman around 1978-1980. Kyle Wall was the supervisor, Frank Rogers was his assistant and a few of the guards I remember are Randy Harris, Paul Gee, Greg (played the trumpet in the band), Kip Lowry, and that is about it. It was hard work, especially pulling triple posts on a hot summer day. I was flashed a few times by girls trying to get me to smile but it didn't work.

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LBRSR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Good to hear from you. I was a Guardsman as well and remember Kevin Perle, Kyle, Frank and Paul Gee. Wasn't Paul Gee drum major at Lakewood HIgh and in LBJCB?? I was a drummer in LBJCB as well. I got in contact with John Hannon and told of the group I started on Facebook. There are only 2 pictures in there, from my collection, one of me standing guard duty (my then girlfriend standing next to me) and the other of my other buddy Greg (played clarinet in the Los Alamitos band). So if you are on FB, please join the group, so we can talk about fun days at the QM. It was a shame that they got rid of the program.

Glenn

JGSLB

Post by JGSLB » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:26 am

I have put my brain to the test and come up with a few more names (Ted Henderson, Alan Osborn) but cannot remember you. Sorry.
Where was the guards' break room when you were there? When I fist started, it was forward and we marched from the bow to the stern. The break room was later moved aft and we shared it with the tour guides. There were a number of arguments between the guards and tour guides when that happened. They seemed to resent us sitting around between shows and taking up space in their precious room.

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LBRSR » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Too funny. When I was there our breakroom was towards the Stern of the ship, but I remember we had the room all to ourselves. When I first came down to apply for the job, I actually auditioned to be a drummer, but they only offered me a guardsman position, but i took it. I remember in between guard duty, the guys were playing D&D all the time. I also had those days where I stood 3 guard posts, but I also remember there were times when I only had one guard post on a given day. I remember people would always come up to me and try and make me laugh, but it always failed. The only time I started to laugh was when one of the other guardsman, who was standing duty with me and when we were to be relieved by the new guard, started shouting commands in a strong Scottish brogue with the exaggerated rolling of the r's. I was not prepared for that, so I chuckled, but caught myself in time. I also remember a tuba player by the name of Leigh and his kid brother. Do you have any pictures from those days?

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LBRSR » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

JGSLB wrote:I have put my brain to the test and come up with a few more names (Ted Henderson, Alan Osborn) but cannot remember you. Sorry.
Where was the guards' break room when you were there? When I fist started, it was forward and we marched from the bow to the stern. The break room was later moved aft and we shared it with the tour guides. There were a number of arguments between the guards and tour guides when that happened. They seemed to resent us sitting around between shows and taking up space in their precious room.
First off, I would llike to know your name, so I know who I am chatting with. I might have found Alan Osborn on Facebook, but not 100% sure. I was going to copy and paste those 2 photos I have from the guards days, but it won't let me paste them in here.

Glenn

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:35 am

LBRSR wrote:I was going to copy and paste those 2 photos I have from the guards days, but it won't let me paste them in here.
Unfortunately WOP doesn't have the space to offer photo hosting. If you have the photos stored online somewhere that allows direct linking, you can click on the "Img" button when entering a post and paste the URL of the photo in between the Img tags.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
LBRSR wrote:I was going to copy and paste those 2 photos I have from the guards days, but it won't let me paste them in here.
Unfortunately WOP doesn't have the space to offer photo hosting. If you have the photos stored online somewhere that allows direct linking, you can click on the "Img" button when entering a post and paste the URL of the photo in between the Img tags.
We do allow some posting of files using the "Upload attachment" feature, which could include photos. But space is limited for these files. Hostrauser is right, there is no way I could afford to host this site on a server with unlimited storage space.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster