LOTR show

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

LOTR show

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:14 pm

is anyone doing a lord of the rings show with music by howard shore??? i'm surprised i havent seen any yet and if you know of a band let me know! i'm a lotr fan and with all this LOTR movies comming out it's a great year to do a show like that

clarinet_j
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by clarinet_j » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:23 pm

I know Claremont's theme is Fellowship of the Ring, and it sounds like Howard Shore's music. It was awesome!!! I especially liked the clarinet solo <3 <3 <3

Zot Zot Zot!!!
05- ~*Completely Insane Anteater Band*("The Sound of The O.C.")
01-05~*Sierra Vista Marching Dons*

Clarinet 5 of 2005 <3

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:47 am

That would be so awesome to do LOTR. I had hoped we would be doing LOTR/ Harry Potter this year. Both of them would probably make for an excellent field show... :D Where is Claremont? (And do they go to any competitions around the Bay Area?)
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:10 am

bgirl781 wrote:That would be so awesome to do LOTR. I had hoped we would be doing LOTR/ Harry Potter this year. Both of them would probably make for an excellent field show... :D Where is Claremont? (And do they go to any competitions around the Bay Area?)
I don't think LOTR and Harry Potter would work well together.
Just based upon the movies and the soundtracks, it just doesn't seem like they could be performed together.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

ChronoDEP

Post by ChronoDEP » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:29 am

smd89 wrote:a band at RCC yesterday had an LOTR theme, i can't remember offhand which one it was though
it was us, Highland HS. Our shows name is "A Ring Within A Ring" music by Johan De Meij and Howard Shore
our show starts off with the main LOTR movie intro song... the song in the begining of both movies where "Lord of the Rings:_______" is on the screen (this part is only like 4 measures long). after that it leads right into the main LOTR fanfare from the symphony by Johan De Meij, which leads right into the Shadowfax portion of Movement 1 from the symphony and then the chorale from movement 1 also, which then whips back into shadowfax for the closing phrase of song 1. song 2, which is also the ballad, is Gollum's Song from LOTR:The Two Towers. i think this song is only played at the end during the credits of the movie. song 3, which is the drum break, starts out with the flutes doing the main LOTR theme again from the begining of the movie (only for 2 measures) which leads into the Uruk-Hai, AKA the trumpet fanfare that they play whenever there is a heroic action that took place in the movie(s), which is like the whole movie(s)). after that, it leads into the song where they are removing the trees and digging and getting the orcs from the first movie (dont know the name of that song, its on the same track has the Uruk-Hai) whis is an impact point where the drums have their drum break which is Journy into the Dark by De Meij. song 4 (the closer) is Hobbits from De Meij. only the last bit of it after the happy part of it. the slow part... (if you have the song, its 4:15 into it) after the hobbits part it quotes everything we did in the show. it starts with the trumpet fanfare from the symphony, leads into some power chords, goes into the flute section mentiond above, which leads into the end of Gandalf (the first movement of the symphony).

Highland High School is a AA band in WBA with 71 performers. our next show is at Trabuco Hills HS and im pretty sure we play last in our divison.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: LOTR show

Post by altohack » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:22 am

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:is anyone doing a lord of the rings show with music by howard shore??? i'm surprised i havent seen any yet and if you know of a band let me know! i'm a lotr fan and with all this LOTR movies comming out it's a great year to do a show like that
I think I heard someone at the Chino Tournament playing LOTR... someone back me up on that...
No regrets

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: LOTR Show @ Chino

Post by MoophoniumMan » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:15 pm

Yes, Isnipewithaknife, the was a LOTR show at Chino on Saturday. It was during the evening competition. I think it was Claremont but i can't say for sure. They did a pretty good job on it.

Gottaluvguard15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Gottaluvguard15 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:47 pm

Yup I saw it too!!!!!!!!!! Awsome show Clairmont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it, right after i heard Gollum's song at the beginning i freaked out i wuz sho kewl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Can you not tell ima lotr freak yet??) I wuz all humming to the song and everything..........

vmbronco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vmbronco » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:27 am

Yes Jeremy, it was Claremont. There music was good, but the show was too theme centered. (I know Jeremy has heard this) A little less of the LOTR props and it would have been better. Congrats to Arcadia. It was worth freezing my butt off!
"If I had a bazooka, I would blow a hole in the wall between us. If either or both of us survived, I'd ask you 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?'"
- Kurt Vonnegut

MarCHiNbC2004
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MarCHiNbC2004 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:07 pm

bgirl781 wrote: Where is Claremont? (And do they go to any competitions around the Bay Area?)
Claremont is about 20-30 miles east of LA, so no I dont think they go up to the bay area. :D
April 26th is so close!!!!! But it needs to come faster!!!!!!! *last day of school*

"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only u can feel it!!!!"
~a wise person
*~*NOOOOO Ken Jennings lost!!!!*~*