Rifle vs. Flag

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Rifle vs. Flag

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:29 pm

Okay I know that rifle is supposed to be the next level up in skill or whatever but at our school, rifles are gods. I'm probably going to get an uproar for this post but is that how it works at any of your schools? It just seems to me that our rifle line gets a little better treatment and less nagging, and lots of perks, like they get away with talking while we're supposed to set, or automatic ballod spots and our captains tend to favor them. My instructors are pretty good about wanting everyone to shut up but it just seems that rifle is god!!!!
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

LibertyPress
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LibertyPress » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:53 am

A lot of times, the Rifle line mostly consists of older, more experienced members. And a spot in the weapon line is one that everyone wants. As for the special treatments, I think it's unfair from what I'm reading. But honestly, I'd rather be on the SABRE LINE!!!! :jedi:
One mo again.

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:52 am

since my freshman year at least rifles have always been treated differently. even the upper class flags get treated like dirt compared to the rifles. the thing that bugs me now about it is i didnt make rifle line and all i ever hear from them is how hard it is and blah blah blah. the thing that makes me mad is i dont care how hard it is i would do anything for the spot that they got! even if it ment i had to work 20 times harder and doo all those laps for dropping. i just love rifle and they have alays gotten the special dance because they are supposed to be more experienced dancers. as for our captains they always tell the flags to set and the rifles keep talking. this year our captain said my rifles need to shut up you guys are supposed t be the role models but what about the 2 juniors on flag or the 3 sophomores still on flag why cant we be considered role model when we are the ones constantly helping the freshman not the godly rifle line?
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

saberspinner

flag vs. rifle

Post by saberspinner » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:42 am

I think it is that way at all schools. i know it is that way at mine. but i just try to ignor what the everyone says. all i can say is i love saber
Attitude is the mind's paintbrush. It can color any situation!

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:25 pm

somethimes the attitudes from the weapon line kind of got in the way of practice and performance
Yeah, I definitely agree that, since the weapons line usually consists of older members, everyone assumes that they know everything. In actuality at our school - while people do pay more attention to the weapons during performances - the weapons line has a harder time. We're worked harder and, while we are respected by our coaches, get more beef for mistakes and attitudes since we're older members and should know better. The flag line works very hard as well, but there are higher expectations (that we are constantly reminded of) for the weapons line.

I used to be a Rifle girl, but we've been spinning a propeller instead of rifle for field season... And I'm not too good at sabre yet (although MUCH better than when I started spinning it at the beginning of summer), but I'm starting to like it better than rifle. Oh no! My poor neglected rifle :( [/quote]
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

iminguard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iminguard » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:34 pm

I can totally say as a colorguard captain that i favor the weapons over the flags.The only reason i might let them get away with talking or screwing around is because i know that when the time comes to know thier stuff they will. However with the flags they are constantly screwing around and not getting anything accomplished.That is why i rarely let them off the hook and constantly down there throats. But as soon as one of them shows maturity and responsibilty i get that they have figured out what needs to get done and when they can go crazy.

OsideGuardGirl

Post by OsideGuardGirl » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:17 pm

Yah...i'm on rifle line and I think it's totally true, we get let off so much easier than the flags, but the flags have a work ethic that is SO much better than our's...geez! i hate it so much-It gets really really (x 100) frustrating...because we suck at warming up on our own and captains rarely take initiative or anything but when flags are alone, they try soooo hard, it's so admirable, they love doing it...we never do that, and we always fight, and no one even practices in rifle line, and perhaps, why we are sucking right now...hm...there's a thought! :?:

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:24 pm

For the group that I instruct I have someone who helps me that works specifically with flags. I split my time between the rifles and ID, but the ID capt is pretty proficient with working with the squad, and knows the routine better than I do (I pretty much blanked out on it once we came back from summer break). And during winter I usually work with the weapons. I do this because weapons are more difficult than flag, which is the basic piece of equipment. Obviously the more skilled people are going to spin the weapons. But I have the tendency to want to have an all weapons feature in the shows, so they get the chance to all do it.
As for the talking and getting in the way of practice, I would have to say that ... if any group were to be doing that ... it would be the flags. Only because they aren't at that discipline and maturity level that the others are at.

It's not always easy being on weapon. You're usually on that because you've got a lot of skill. And with that comes the expectations for you to do difficult work well. Pressure pressure pressure, that's one of there reasons we push ourselves to strive for better excellence, isn't it?
World Of Pageantry Champion!

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Rifle vs. Flag

Post by luckiecg » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:30 pm

flagchild06 wrote:Okay I know that rifle is supposed to be the next level up in skill or whatever but at our school, rifles are gods. I'm probably going to get an uproar for this post but is that how it works at any of your schools? It just seems to me that our rifle line gets a little better treatment and less nagging, and lots of perks, like they get away with talking while we're supposed to set, or automatic ballod spots and our captains tend to favor them. My instructors are pretty good about wanting everyone to shut up but it just seems that rifle is god!!!!
well, as a member of the rifle line, i have things to agree with and things to disagree with. starting off, our rifle line doesn't consist of older members. we have four freshmen, two sophmores, three juniors, and only one senior. it really has nothing to do with where you are in the "superiority line". and as for the ballad line spots, all the rifles gat a spot in the ballad simply because we're already up there in the front...as for in general the special treatment thing, i'd have to say is true, i wish it weren't, but it is...there really is no way i could say it's not...i don't know about the being gods part though... :D :wink:
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:32 pm

CaptainKiki wrote:
Yeah, I definitely agree that, since the weapons line usually consists of older members, everyone assumes that they know everything. In actuality at our school - while people do pay more attention to the weapons during performances - the weapons line has a harder time. We're worked harder and, while we are respected by our coaches, get more beef for mistakes and attitudes since we're older members and should know better. The flag line works very hard as well, but there are higher expectations (that we are constantly reminded of) for the weapons line.
I agree with that. yeah sometimes we get more compliments or whatever but theres higher expectations for the weapons line. Theres advantages AND disadvantages.

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

lovin' rifle

Post by RifleLova » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:53 pm

i have to admit the special treatment with rifles is sorta true and sometimes we are highly looked upon. I'm on rifle line in my color guard and i have been since freshmen year and i guess i was allowed to slack off just a lil bit more than others because they figured that when the time comes, i would be able to produce and do what i was supposed too. and the thing is, i didn't let them down so ofcourse they would let me as well as other rifle line members to slack off a little. But the thing is, BECAUSE we're looking higher upon, if we do make one tiny mistake, we get in SO MUCH more trouble than the flag line, even if they had done the same thing. Either way i say the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and i love rifle line and i would pick rifle line over flag line anyday cuz i'm a riflelova!
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:45 pm

At our school you can't try out for rifle until you've spent a year in the program. I tried out along with 3 other sophomores, and 4 other juniors. Me and a junior both sprained our wrists during tryouts and told noone in hopes that we'd make it. We didn't. Three of the juniors made it and so did two of the sophomores. Now the sophomores don't listen to the junior who didn't make it. It's gone to their heads. It kind of makes me and my friend that didn't make it angry that the girls who did had quit rifle before, or had attitude problems made it. I just want to make it next year.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

pinksmurf749
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pinksmurf749 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:39 pm

hmmm. Im not really sure. yeah i guess we do a little bit, but this is my first year on rifle line(yay!!). :D very exciting!!
colorguard is the best!

LHScg
New Recruit
New Recruit

rifle Vs flag

Post by LHScg » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:36 pm

to be honest i like flag. if i woke up with the skill to toss more than a double, on a good day a triple, on rifle i would still love flag and would rather be on flag line. i just happen to not like rifle by any means really. i love flag even more so than sabre, don't get me wrong sabres a blast but flag will always have the highest place in my heart. as far as treatment goes i dont know and i dont care cuz i luv flag and sabre and im super happy to be there. that just my opinion though. i know one of my friends has been crayz about rifle since she picked it up. and she wouldnt care if they got special treatment. i think people should spend less time thinking about which one is better and more time thinking about which one is jsut more fun!!! cuz its all about havign fun and doing what you love.