WOOHOO! Got my 2003 CD's today!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

WOOHOO! Got my 2003 CD's today!

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:45 pm

I picked up my Halloween candy at UPS this morning. I've already listened to Phantom twice. Currently listening to Cavies.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

I just realized something....

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:12 pm

....about Phantom's "Wild Nights." Did James Logan play it as part of their Pirate show in 1997? It sounds familiar.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:58 am

Cadets - I like this show (even their version of Malaguena deserves credit). Rocky Point Holiday is ok, but maybe not very fluid. If you like drumming, you'll like the Cadets.

SCV - After attending Finals, I think the recording on the CD is perhaps taken from semis. How can I tell? SCV had some really noticeable phasing problems at the beginning of their show Finals night. Even though it is semi's, this show has some good knockout punches.

MISSING IN ACTION from the CD's: The Troopers
I wonder if they were left off due to each disc (3) reaching their limit of 7 corps/disc.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Phasing...

Post by clusknay » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:22 pm

SCV had some really noticeable phasing problems at the beginning of their show Finals night.
Ooooooooh yeah they did. Although...I was sitting around the 35 yrd line...side 2, and if you weren't sitting in the "middle"...i would imagine that their opener would sound like a giant "CF" anyhow...wonder if this was the case...where were you seated?

LOVED Phantom...Their performance finals night...was THE best that night...so i thought.

I'm thinking about buying the DVD's just for them, and SCV (i'm a former alumnus,and they hold a special place in my heart).

-dawg

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:52 pm

I was seated side 2, around the 3 yard line.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:06 pm

yikes. quite possible that it too...was where you were seated.

ACE-Driving
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ACE-Driving » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:43 am

Got my CD's yesterday (still waiting for those blasted DVDs).

I thought the Blue Devils performance rocked, as usual, but I think their performance sounded better on my KVCR tape than the extreme-high quality sound of the CD.

The Cavaliers...I can't really say much about their music. I think the closer is enjoyable...but that's about it. Unless I'm actually watching the show, the music just doesn't do anything for me. Sad, because I enjoyed the Cavs' show from what I saw of it on public broadcasting.

Cadets...WOW! This show sounds awesome. Malaguena rocks.

Phantom Regiment...I saw these guys in early July at Citrus College. This is an unbelieveable show. Even now, every time I hear them play "Canon" it sends so much chills down my body that tears well up.

Santa Clara Vanguard- Ugh. I don't like their music. I didn't like their show either! Sorry to say...they did sound better than when I saw them, but...I just hope these guys make a comeback in '04.

That's all I've heard of the CDs so far. Oh yeah, I listened to PC also, and they sounded awesome. But that's all I can really say without having the DVDs to enjoy and judge as well.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Sense.

Post by clusknay » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:53 am

ACE-Driving wrote:The Cavaliers... Unless I'm actually watching the show, the music just doesn't do anything for me.
I think that was the point in the design of thier shows...over the past couple of years, with 2k2 being the prime example. They didn't even play thier "ballad production" in standstills...Without physically watching the show...the music made no sense whatsoever...BUT, this is how their shows have been designed.

Drill first...then music to the drill.

Without one...the other makes no sense.

What a concept. :-)