ID "Shields" and sign shops

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Kyle73
New Recruit
New Recruit

ID "Shields" and sign shops

Post by Kyle73 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 am

Hello all. Many people are telling me that they are having the ID Unit shields crafted at sign shops. Can anyone tell me what they are making them from (what materials)? How much are they charging for them?

I live in a rural area with not too many shops around, so I wanted to get as much information before driving all over the countryside looking for someone to make these.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: ID "Shields" and sign shops

Post by JenKozy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:23 pm

My previous school had their shields made by Peacocks. As far as I know, they are the only ones really left??? Tom was a great help in taking our designs and working with it until they came up with something that suited our needs. And they turned out beautifully! Hope this helps.

http://www.marchingworld.com/shields.htm
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Peacock's are very good, very expensive and very heavy. I asked a local sign shop in an extremely rural place to build some up. They made them out of a plastic material, had an auto painter paint them with pearlescent paint, spaced the letters out from the shields, and made cases; all for about half of Peacock's price. We used them for two years and the school shut down the program, so I cannot vouch for the longevity of those shields. 8-)

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Is Aztek still around? They used to make quality shields.

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rich » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Aztec Shields do an amazing job. they are still located in california i believe.

crickett
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crickett » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 am

We made ours out of sheet metal. Also had them painted at an auto body shop. We got plexi glass from Tap plastic and the sequins from peacocks.

I don't remember the thickness of the sheet metal, but we went as thin as we thought would hold up. They made the handles too.

Kyle73
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Kyle73 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks all. I had previously contacted both peacocks and aztec, and we simply don't have the budget for either at this time. As much as I would love them to make us new shields :(

In any case, I was looking for a lower cost alternative. Several people said they had shields made at sign shops. I was wondering what materials were used to make those shields, as I know the cost is A LOT lower.

Yesterday, I went to several sign shops, and one generous shop gave me a couple sheets of Plasticor. It is constructed like cardboard, but is made of plastic. I immediately bought some handles and vinyl (for the front) and made a shield. I have to say, I am pretty impressed to how it's holding up. I have tossed it, thrown it, spun it, kicked it, dropped it, and it is holding up really well. My only issue is that it is very light. One gust of wind, a piece of string, and I would have a new kite! I need to figure out how to weight it a bit. But heck, at less than $7 a shield, I think I have discovered the disposable marching shield, lol.

Anyway, I was wondering what the others who have used sign shops have been made of. Maybe a heavier material? If they are using Plasticor, are they adjusting to the feather weight of the shield? Maybe using a thicker stock?

I guess the nice thing about "disposable marching shields" is that I can change the shape of the shield for every parade :)

trumpetdiva
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by trumpetdiva » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 am

Some years ago we had our woodshop teacher make shields and then decorated them ourselves. We got a set from Peacock's after but those need repair so we're back to using the old wooden standbys. They actually look pretty good :lol:

cgamy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cgamy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:19 pm

OK since I am so old in this activity, I can say that I have used both Aztec and Peacock's for shields...while I was much happier with the set made by Peacock, I was not at all happy with the quality of my Aztec shield. The Aztec shield (Bonita Vista) was the first one that he (they) made that was a solid banner with lettering. I love the design and the weight wasn't bad but the quality of the materials was less than stellar and the price was way too high. Peacock's made the shields when I was at Vista and they were well made, light-weight and not over the top expensive.

I have made my own banners too...unless you are really good at doing that I would suggest not trying! I knew there was a reason my dad kept me away from power tools! :oops:

Amy