Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Add our school to the list of Instructor Needed

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Hello:
An East Bay High School that has two middle school guards 'feeding' into the East Bay High School has an opening for a guard instructor. Band Camp is August 9th-13th 8am-4pm. This super East Bay High School will be competitng in both parade and for the first time in 10 years...FIELD SHOW!! Rehearsals will be Monday nights from 7pm-8:30pm and two additional weekdays - depending on instructor's availability. Beginning October 2nd and ending October 23rd, there will be four competitions.

If things go well ... winterguard COULD be also part of the job description. Ideally looking for someone who has experience in choreography/instructing color guard and plans to be around the area for the next three-four years. Solid references always help.

LOTS OF POTENTIAL. Private message me!! "Me" is the band director. Thanks...

misschrism

Re: Add our school to the list of Instructor Needed

Post by misschrism » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Paul,

I will pass this on to my friends in the Renegades. Lots of guard people in the East Bay.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm

misschrism wrote:Hi Paul,

I will pass this on to my friends in the Renegades. Lots of guard people in the East Bay.

Yayayayay...I can still have hope that being so close to World Champion Drum Corps there would be a chance to have someone come outthis way. This excites me AND ESPECIALLY MAKES DIANA EXTREMELY HAPPY :yeah: :yeah: :bow:

The sooner the better!! I know y'all are in drum corps mode, but a phone call is a good start and there has to be some sort of wi-fi out there :D THANK YOU.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 am

Hey Paul. I will spread the word.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 am

JenKozy wrote:Hey Paul. I will spread the word.
YAYAYAY!!! I am "loved." :yeah: Compared to my other colleagues...I have two more responses than they do. :(

Yes!! Please share this news with folks. I just left the fireworks booth where there were two color guard moms helping sell fireworks - that is GREAT to know becasue when there are parents involved good things COULD happen. :wink:

Little bit off topic...to all color guard instructors (including my wife)..please start to OR CONTINUE TO 'build for the future.' What I a mean by "build for the future" is there are plenty of band directors who would love to have color guard instructors, but there are just not that many. So, tell your stronger students to move onto instructing. Tell those stronger students about this website as a good resource to find a gig. I looked at the color guard discussion group and there were maybe five gigs open and "one or two of " of them had responses?? Since May 28 --- VIEWS = 1,200+ --- Responses = LESS THAN 10 (sure there could be 100s of PMs sent, but certainly not close to 1,200!!) Help them find a gig. Once they get a gig, volunteer to come out and clinic their guard. iT IS SUCH A RUSH TO WORK WITH YOUR FORMER STUDENTS' GROUPS!! In part, because of you (guard instructor), he/she is teaching others! Just an encouraging message :clap:

KEEP THE RESPONSES COMING FOLKS...THANK YOU.

As of Monday July 12th, 310 Views only two private messages???!!! Is it my deodorent? My bad breath can be an issue. :rotf: You are going to have some quality students to work with. A band director who is married to a FORMER color guard instructor. You are in the Bay Area. COME ON!! :yeah:

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Psalm 56 wrote:
YAYAYAY!!! I am "loved." :yeah: Compared to my other colleagues...I have two more responses than they do. :(

Yes!! Please share this news with folks. I just left the fireworks booth where there were two color guard moms helping sell fireworks - that is GREAT to know becasue when there are parents involved good things COULD happen. :wink:

Little bit off topic...to all color guard instructors (including my wife)..please start to OR CONTINUE TO 'build for the future.' What I a mean by "build for the future" is there are plenty of band directors who would love to have color guard instructors, but there are just not that many. So, tell your stronger students to move onto instructing. Tell those stronger students about this website as a good resource to find a gig. I looked at the color guard discussion group and there were maybe five gigs open and "one or two of " of them had responses?? Since May 28 --- VIEWS = 1,200+ --- Responses = LESS THAN 10 (sure there could be 100s of PMs sent, but certainly not close to 1,200!!) Help them find a gig. Once they get a gig, volunteer to come out and clinic their guard. iT IS SUCH A RUSH TO WORK WITH YOUR FORMER STUDENTS' GROUPS!! In part, because of you (guard instructor), he/she is teaching others! Just an encouraging message :clap:

As of Monday July 12th, 310 Views only two private messages???!!! Is it my deodorent? My bad breath can be an issue. :rotf: You are going to have some quality students to work with. A band director who is married to a FORMER color guard instructor. You are in the Bay Area. COME ON!! :yeah:

Hello :D

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 am

I have had a number of students I have helped get positions as instructors or have had work with me as techs. It's nice to see a student inspired enough by thier experience that they want to teach! My advice for any up and comer is to work as a tech under someone first. It's a bumpy ride if you start teaching straight away as a caption head. Yay for the newbie instructor!!

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Psalm 56 wrote:
Psalm 56 wrote:

Hello :D
Just received the third interested person in the last 330+ VIEWS. I hope for my students' sake we are getting close to some person who wants to make a positive influecne in A BLINKING WORLD OF CHAOS!