SJVCGPR

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

SJVCGPR

Post by Powerhouse08 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:38 am

why doesnt anyone ever talk about this circuit??? Tulare Western, all the Clovis schools.....i mean theres alot of REALLY good groups here....whats up?......The judging is amazing, the venues are amazing....is it too far south for people to care about it? Whats gives?

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: SJVCGPR

Post by Steven » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:33 pm

To many letters in the abbreviation. WGI and DCI are easy to write about, only 3 letters. NCBA and SCPA, a little harder with 4...now we jump up to 7 for SJVCGPR and no one can be bothered to write reviews...

(in all honesty I have heard very good things about the circuit)
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Os_percussion

Post by Os_percussion » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:18 pm

because i dont think a lot of people from that circuit post here normally. but i could be wrong

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 am

I agree. I've heard nothing but good things about this circuit. I think they use WGI sheets and have a lot of ccgc judges and such, but I think one of the other reasons why you don't hear about it is because most of the percussion shows are on fridays.
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:03 am

Ive done NCBA all my life. Competed in it, taught groups in it (and honestly never been satisfied with it). Also done CVGPC, and for all the years ive done winter drumming, SJVCGPR is by far the best. The judging is really good, the group are very competitive in just about all of the divisions. Overall, i would recommend this circuit above any other in the central/northern valley

vinnieangelo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vinnieangelo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:54 am

The Fresno circuit has SOOO many things going for them! Like many of the percussion circuits in the Northern/Central California area (Bakersfield and north), Fresno strives to function at the highest level!

I know that every time I leave for a Friday show I will always have a wonderful experience. The 6 hours of round trip travel are always worth it!

Honorable1Bennett
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Honorable1Bennett » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 pm

That in itself is the issue, a saturday competition does not require excusing students from class time. Leaving on a friday to go to the competition can cause a few problems.

The circuit is well run, and has amazing groups participating in it. From experience, the fridays are the aspect that make it difficult for schools outside of the immediate area to participate.
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” - Leonard Bernstein

Schimmy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Schimmy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Steven wrote:To many letters in the abbreviation. WGI and DCI are easy to write about, only 3 letters. NCBA and SCPA, a little harder with 4...now we jump up to 7 for SJVCGPR and no one can be bothered to write reviews...

(in all honesty I have heard very good things about the circuit)
I also think there are too many letters in the circuit. Every time i have to type it out I have to figure out the letters by thinking through the words. That takes some work too because there are so many words I can't remember all of them either.

I think they should rename it to DaG (Drums and Guards). That would be easy to remember. It could be GaD I guess but I like the sound of DaG better.
"The audience is always listening"

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 am

i usually call it "The Fresno Circuit" haha
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?