Color Guard Camp or Clinics?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Kyle73
New Recruit
New Recruit

Color Guard Camp or Clinics?

Post by Kyle73 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 am

Are there any Guard camps or clinics in northern CA, during the summer?

Looking for something open to beginners as well as instruction technique (and some brush up for me) :) Our main focus is on parade and field show (or it will be in the coming years).

Thanks for any information.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Color Guard Camp or Clinics?

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 am

Kyle73 wrote:Are there any Guard camps or clinics in northern CA, during the summer?

Looking for something open to beginners as well as instruction technique (and some brush up for me) :) Our main focus is on parade and field show (or it will be in the coming years).

Thanks for any information.
Considering Dublin High School is in the beginning stages of re-establishing a color guard program, I would be very interested in helping make this happen; if not helping organize such a summer event (BEGINNING OF AUGUST AT DHS????). PM me and/or let's get some feedback from others. Thanks for the "vine."

peaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by peaches » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 am

I'd be interested in this as well. I've tried putting together something in the past but there was not enough interest and I couldn't find instructors/judges who were interested in being the clinicians. Most who were interested were too busy traveling with various drum corps throughout the summer.

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm

I would be interested in something like this as well for myself to learn more, I would love it if an NCBA judge could host or be a part of it.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Hey, I am sensing a pattern of answers!!! Let's see what we can do!! We need more and more input and offers of help.

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blindman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Personally, I think it's a great idea... it would help educate and train young beginners and help further the education for those who wish to excel in the arts themselves...

I generally do agree with the need to educate those in the fields of parade and field show as the art is evolving into something new each and every season, especially here in Northern California where the street is starting to become a mini "winter" or mini "field show" for more and more parade bands that compete.

That has also been a need for the education of performance in members on the street as well as coping with different situations. There is also a need for the education of younger instructors who wish to understand the balance of parade marches and choices as opposed to written work on the street in terms of dynamics, flow, musicality, balance in equipment numbers, movement and other aspects that would greatly augment the ideals of what a parade guard should look like.

Even on the field, sometimes we mistake musicality and difficulty in order to have a more impressive show, when what could be required is something more simplistic, something "bigger" and even something slightly detailed that could make a show more fantastic.

I would love to see something like that happen over the summer!

TBDecker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TBDecker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm

I would also be interested. I have tried setting something up here in the North Bay using the Superior Band Camps perssonel and making it more cost effective by trying to get our neighbor High Schools involved. Unfortunatley due to budget issues the idea became too expensive. I would love to put something together with other groups, even if it means having to travel a couple hours to do it.
Timothy Decker
Director of Music
Rancho Cotate High School

Kyle73
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Kyle73 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 am

I am up for just about anything. I haven't been active with color guard in 15+ years, which is why I am looking to brush up and learn as much as I can.

I have 3 adult instructors, and a few girls from our squad that would love an opportunity to learn more.

As the above poster said, if we need to drive a couple of hours to get somewhere, we are up for it.

Perhaps, due to the economy and budget issues, some kind soul could donate their time for a one day clinic? :) We could try to find a location central to all those interested, and simply do something unofficially that wouldn't cost hundreds of dollars. Just throwing that out there.

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:05 pm

This is a brilliant idea. I have been trying to find some sort of camp/ clinic to go to over the summer to perfect my technique and learn more.

I found one camp, but it really doesn't focus to much on actually flagwork, but it enhances leadership and dance. there is also a part of it for directors/instructors.

This camp is in southern california though, which is why it is convienent for me.

If there are any other ideas, i would love to hear about them! i really want to learn alot more!
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

GuardBoy09
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GuardBoy09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:08 pm

I would love to attend such event. Iremember when NCBA hosted a guard clinic at Lincoln HS (Stockton) I had an amaizing learning time. Ever since that time I have never heard of a guard camp not at least in the Central Valley. I think its time for another one! =)
Have No fear or perfection, U'll Never reach it..

Tokay HS c/o 09

cindybasty07

Post by cindybasty07 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 pm

There are clinics in northern California during the summer. I'm also planning to do some summer activities in CA. I just wanted to ask what are your activities in California?

Kyle73
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Kyle73 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 pm

If there are pre-existing clinics, can someone point me to a web site or information? I can't seem to find anything about them as I am out of the loop and trying to find my way in :)

Seems to me, there are several people interested in putting something together if nothing seems to fit what we are looking for. I think that may be the best route to go, as we would get exactly what we needed from the time spent, as opposed to a little bit of one thing we need, and 6 hours of what we aren't after.

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 pm

That sounds like a plan. I am currently working on a color guard summer intensive program for my guard here. we really need to perfect a lot, so we are working hard. if there is an easy to get to event that we could attend, that would be great!
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

ellise edwards

Post by ellise edwards » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:35 pm

im looking to get better as a student in guard and also see how instructors teach so im down even if i have a liitle out my way and would ahve some incoming girls that would need a brush up on things befor season starts.
lillypad

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:12 pm

In the past NCBA had a Fall Clinic is this going on? If not something to consider. Possibly using pageantry judges and younger innovative Instructors (both drumline and guard) to show a variety of new approaches, tecniques, current termonology, with experience at the local, regional, and national levels. Northern Ca. bands tend to repeat and reuse their own routines as well as routines ( almost exactly ) from other bands, guards, drumlines and drum corps. This clinic could open their horizens.