NCBA Judging

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

NCBA Judging

Post by gcarrasco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Why are we not having this discussion here, colorguard, like the percussionists?

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Judging

Post by twinmomma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:04 pm

While I find public discussions of judging style, technique, and training interesting, I also find them to generally be non-productive. We can talk about the criteria, we can talk about the application of the criteria, or how judging - as objective as we try and make it, will never be an exact science.

But individual beefs with individual judges about individual units is what it usually comes down to, and those issues are best handled within the circuit through the judging coordinator.
~twinmomma

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Please take the opportunity to read this same subject in the percussion site. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the thoughtful and constructive observations and creative ideas being brought forth. To often for the past 10 years the need for positve change has been shuffled off to over worked chairpeople or tabled entirely. Sometimes change has been outright painful. I wish to enlist all those who are truly passionate about pageantry in all it's forms to speak up and share your ideas. Believe me any one of these ideas might be the one to bring NCBA up to date and create a more educational and pleasurable performance experience.

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 pm

I participated in that discussion. But I think this may be something best suited for the Director's forum, rather than the public forum. It's not appropriate to have this sort of discussion (which often can degenerate into what I mentioned previously, as it happens and I've seen it go there) in a venue where students and parents can see it.

I would argue that you are absolutely right about change and advancement, but that such work isn't necessarily suited for the public forum.
~twinmomma

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm

gcarrasco wrote:Why are we not having this discussion here, colorguard, like the percussionists?
Well we could but they're sort of already having it over there, no?

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:10 pm

danceswithwood wrote:
gcarrasco wrote:Why are we not having this discussion here, colorguard, like the percussionists?
Well we could but they're sort of already having it over there, no?
And this would be why I love you. 8-)
~twinmomma

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm sorry you are both very correct we should not spend alot of time on something that's being done somewhere else. Percussion has it on lock. We should all look to percussion for inspiration and drive to create a better NCBA.

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:29 pm

gcarrasco wrote:I'm sorry you are both very correct we should not spend alot of time on something that's being done somewhere else. Percussion has it on lock. We should all look to percussion for inspiration and drive to create a better NCBA.
I married a drummer once. I know better than to follow a percussionist anywhere, anymore, lol. I'm simply saying they're already discussing colorguard over there. Why don't we just join the ongoing discussion there?

See you on the other side 8-)

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:21 am

Well I married a colorguard person-happily- THIS IS A SHOUT OUT TO ALL PERSONS THAT SPIN- speak your mind and we will listen! NCBA was started to standardize score sheets and establish a calendar of events so as to not overlap dates. Now it can and should be so much more. The director site is truly representative of the pedestrian nature of this organization. Post and take a chance -you may be right!

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 am

First of all, danceswithwoods point is that why duplicate efforts? The percussion board is public, why not just join the discussion since the issues seem similar.

That said, I have to say there's a difference in trying to effect change and make something better, and being outright confrontational and rude. Remember that while people may be resistant to change, those people paved the path that allows you to perform, compete, and judge now. They deserve respect.
~twinmomma

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 pm

I am doing nothing more than cheerleading. There are lots of folks who follow colorguard very closely and have not considered going to a drum site. I wish to include and encourage them. As far as the negativisum you describe please read again with an open mind and you will see someone very much like yourself and JoJo: I am truly interested in improving NCBA not tearing it down. I have been a member for twenty-five years (ask Roland) and I , along with the help of four others, wrote the original winterguard score sheets based on parade aux sheets. At that time winterguard was at critical mass and ready to explode into the success it is now. Let's continue the forthright discussion on both sites and bring more light onto the subject matter : updating NCBA score sheets and quality judge training.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi All, I'm very happy to say I had a very informative conversation with a couple of Winter Activity Committee members at Granada HS this past weekend and they explained to me that a new winterguard judge training program has been put in place and training was enacted before this season. To this I say Bravo! Ya' dun good! Apparently these folks worked very hard within the system for positive change. I looked on the NCBA site and there were the materials (not all) used at the training. Looks very promising I will spend more time reading through sometime later but for now WOW! It looks great!

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:57 pm

All of you should approach any signs of progress from NCBA with caution. Until the training is meaningful and MANDATORY....which it hasn't been for more than a decade....it will lead to nothing. NCBA has MUCH potential but needs to change the way they do business in order to have the organization progress and keep up with the ever changing pageantry world. Just be cautious.

:!:
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Good words to heed. Believe me this was a commentary of triumph and tears.

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 am

The training was mandatory this year. I assume that was enforced. I know I spent time ensuring that I used the resources to my advantage/growth.
Diane Bledsoe