Combining winter Drumline and Guard

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Melinda

Combining winter Drumline and Guard

Post by Melinda » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:36 pm

I am a Color Guard instructor at Walnut High School and we were thinking about doing a combined winter drum line and guard this year. Our drum line has never had a winter line and the guard is having trouble finding competitions near our area. So we were thinking of trying something new this year. Has anyone ever done this kind of show? Any advice?

tinkrbelle22

Re: Combining winter Drumline and Guard

Post by tinkrbelle22 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't know of anyone that has done that before but i do know that you're allowed to use live music...so i say go for it!

All the best,

Ash =)

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:57 am

Melinda wrote:I am a Color Guard instructor at Walnut High School and we were thinking about doing a combined winter drum line and guard this year. Our drum line has never had a winter line and the guard is having trouble finding competitions near our area. So we were thinking of trying something new this year. Has anyone ever done this kind of show? Any advice?
my school has never done this, cause this is our first winterguard since 2000. search some youtube videos for ideas. best wishes! you can always try ppaacc and see what happens
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by vintagecrusher » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:54 pm

I've seen Aimachi's Drumline do that with their guard in WGI. It depends on your association rules I guess. Keep looking into it, you'll find an answer soon enough.

evil reneguard Diva
Rookie
Rookie

Post by evil reneguard Diva » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:45 pm

I've seen many groups combine the two. Mandarins comes to mind first, but a number of WGi guards have had drum lines in their shows, had drummers performing, and one I can think of even had their guard playing on drums, hitting them with rifles, etc. you wouldn't be the first.

Melinda

Post by Melinda » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments. They are much appreciated.

Melinda

orangeAltezza
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by orangeAltezza » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:18 am

I remember Winston Churchill from Texas has done that in the past as well. I think they would be a good group to look up or ask for advice and inspiration.

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suhibandman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:14 pm

We host a District Drumline and Guard Show that usually happens the week after WGASC finals. There aren't any Winter Drumline Circuits down in San Diego, with the closest being at El Camino/Tesoro. It's a district showcase so there isn't any competition. Also, since it is a district show, each of the schools gets a chunk of tickets to sell. The real money was in the concessions and ticket sales at the gate. We did the Drumlines and Percussion Ensembles first, and followed up with the Winterguards. It was very successful for us last year.

I am not familiar with the Walnut District as it pertains to its size, but you may want to contact some local groups that would be willing to come in for an additional performance.

Hope that helps!

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi I don't know your location but Springstowne of Vallejo has a colorguard/drumline combined show. We compete CCGC and NCBA if you would like to catch a show.

all_rifle_finale
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by all_rifle_finale » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm

youtube search: Vallejo High '03 James Bond Champs Show

sacramento state also does an indoor percussion/guard exhibition every now and then at the ncba championships

GuardBoy09
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GuardBoy09 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:19 am

DEL MAR High School also has a combined winter guard/drumline show this year. It was quite interesting to see percussion and guard performing at the same moment inside a gym. It reminded me of a tiny version of a "fieldshow". It would be awesome to see more units that combine the two!
Have No fear or perfection, U'll Never reach it..

Tokay HS c/o 09

ehscolorguard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ehscolorguard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I recently saw Amherst H.S. drumline (in northeast Ohio) and they had 6 or so guard members performing also - circus sideshow theme so it worked well!