Guys in Colorguard

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Guys in Colorguard

Post by danceswithwood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 pm

gcarrasco wrote:Absolutely, thanks for the correction. The discussion brought back memories of early winterguards and how far they come. Standley ,as you have said, was a big part of that growth. So "guys in guard" seems to be a natural situation. Why not?

I was around then and remember well the pre-WGI "comp guard" days. I marched in CCGC as far back as '70 and was teaching in the circuit in '77 when Stanley brought the Seattle Imperials down to "Western Regionals" and caused us all to simply stand there with our jaws wide open. Knight Raiders were successfully stretching the activity locally that season by "dancing" to "Chorus Line" so it wasn't so much the "dancing" that was a surprise as that the Imperials wore dance shoes (no boots), went into the ground repeatedly, had real movement skills and called their work "choreography".

Good times those days when even the smallest innovation was a ground breaking event ... yes, back when dirt was just invented :yeah:

Plug into WGI's Fan Network and watch almost the whole metamorphosis there. It's pretty fascinating.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:05 pm

danceswithwood wrote:
gcarrasco wrote:Absolutely, thanks for the correction. The discussion brought back memories of early winterguards and how far they come. Standley ,as you have said, was a big part of that growth. So "guys in guard" seems to be a natural situation. Why not?

I was around then and remember well the pre-WGI "comp guard" days. I marched in CCGC as far back as '70 and was teaching in the circuit in '77 when Stanley brought the Seattle Imperials down to "Western Regionals" and caused us all to simply stand there with our jaws wide open. Knight Raiders were successfully stretching the activity locally that season by "dancing" to "Chorus Line" so it wasn't so much the "dancing" that was a surprise as that the Imperials wore dance shoes (no boots), went into the ground repeatedly, had real movement skills and called their work "choreography".

Good times those days when even the smallest innovation was a ground breaking event ... yes, back when dirt was just invented :yeah:

Plug into WGI's Fan Network and watch almost the whole metamorphosis there. It's pretty fascinating.

I remember that day as well. I still remember full retreat and the Imperials, as beautifully and graceful as they were, could not march in step.

SavvyLee
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SavvyLee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm

How about this...

If they're good, let them in. End of story. I have personally never even heard this as a serious discussion, probably because it just doesn't make sense.
THIS is why we do what we do.