Re: Guys in Colorguard

Post by random_colorguardgirl12 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm

We have one guy in guard too and he is the most flexible out of all of us..lol

BayArea510
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by BayArea510 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned logan yet. They are pretty much a prime example of what boys can do in colorguard. They won 10wgi championships and have won 9 wba marching championships. This past marching season they had close to 20 male guard members.

jellyfishh

Post by jellyfishh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:36 am

james logan was amazing this year though can't you see it as sexist because only the guys were on rifle?
i'm all in favor of guys in guard. they make it fun and the weapon section of guard shows w/ guys are so exciting :shock:
do other guards stalk the guys they see performing w/ other schools? cuz we do that frequently.... :)

TITANTRUMPET3
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TITANTRUMPET3 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:32 pm

jellyfishh wrote:james logan was amazing this year though can't you see it as sexist because only the guys were on rifle?
not at all sexist.

it was just a feature that happened to be written for all guys.

i think it's just how mostly females are chosen for sabre features because girls are made to move more gracefully than males.

i think that's it's all about natural skill and ability, not about the idea that males are better because... they're not... right? lol jk

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm

TITANTRUMPET3 wrote:
jellyfishh wrote:james logan was amazing this year though can't you see it as sexist because only the guys were on rifle?
not at all sexist.

i think it's just how mostly females are chosen for sabre features because girls are made to move more gracefully than males.

i think that's it's all about natural skill and ability, not about the idea that males are better because... they're not... right? lol jk
totally agree. nothing to do with gender, it's about the talent
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:17 pm

agentsquishypenguin wrote:
TITANTRUMPET3 wrote:
not at all sexist.

totally agree. nothing to do with gender, it's about the talent
I just think it's the judgement of the director, my son spins both rifle and sabre in their show, so that's just what the director felt worked for that part of the show.
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

orangeAltezza
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by orangeAltezza » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

The notion of colorguards being all girls is quite ironic to me as traditionally colorguards were part of the military marching bands were all male.

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 pm

orangeAltezza wrote:The notion of colorguards being all girls is quite ironic to me as traditionally colorguards were part of the military marching bands were all male.
This is exactly right. Unfortunately we've moved SO FAR away from the basis of our activity that those performing in it now have no knowledge of the history. It is important for us as instructors and educators to make sure our students are not only good performers, but have an understanding of the history of the activity so they can pass that information on as they grow to be educators and coaches. An appreciation of what has come before will always add to the experiences they are having now.
~twinmomma

musikteecher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musikteecher » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Title IX
:hug:
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm

I can hear the moans now "...back when dirt was invented..."

By the way have we forgotten about Standley K. that was way back. He had the first guard that actually danced.

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 am

gcarrasco wrote:I can hear the moans now "...back when dirt was invented..."

By the way have we forgotten about Standley K. that was way back. He had the first guard that actually danced.
You'll find Stanley mentioned on Page 2 of this thread

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

danceswithwood wrote:

Thanks for the update. We seem to have missed the point. in 1969 Standley and some staff from Blue Devils stood around in the Seattle summer night and talked about the future of colorguard and pageantry in general and thus it has become; long before rules and title nine. I know because I was there.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:05 pm

OOPS, sorry oldtimers is setting in ,that summer night was the summer of '70. and the "B" corps won the Pacific Northwest Championship beating seven "A" corps.

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 am

gcarrasco wrote:
danceswithwood wrote:

Thanks for the update. We seem to have missed the point. in 1969 Standley and some staff from Blue Devils stood around in the Seattle summer night and talked about the future of colorguard and pageantry in general and thus it has become; long before rules and title nine. I know because I was there.
I thought the point was "guys in colorguard" and why they belong there.

Second to that was to show you where Stan was previously mentioned to assure you that "we" haven't "forgotten" Stanley or his massive contributions to the activity.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Absolutely, thanks for the correction. The discussion brought back memories of early winterguards and how far they come. Standley ,as you have said, was a big part of that growth. So "guys in guard" seems to be a natural situation. Why not?