What is your funniest or worst field experience?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

MHS_Guard_Senior

Post by MHS_Guard_Senior » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:18 pm

at a competition my 2nd year, my clear bra strap snapped half way through the opener... allowing my top to go down! I flashed my whitness to the audience for half of the show. :oops:

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Vermin87 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:18 pm

This isn't about me, but my freshman year, we didn't have enough bass drummers, so we recruited a huge, 6'5'' sax player to be bottom bass. At his last football game(he was a senior) we marched out onto the field to perform our half time show. You could tell he was anxious to get started just by the way his drum was swaying back and forth. Then he yelled over his bass drum to my section leader, "hey, jason, this is my last football game...mind if i fall?" stupidest thing i've ever heard...if you ever marched bass, you dont wanna fall or else you start rolling(somewhat). jason goes "do whatever you want dude." so our first drill move was a 40 count move where the drumline kept an "L" shape and just move left. On the direction change for the next drill move, i heard an "AAAHhhhh!!" I looked to my right and our beloved 5th bass had tumbled over his drum. hillarious...i laughed the rest of the show....and on the way off the field.
Verent Chan
~Clovis West Drumline Section Leader '03-'05~

that girl

Post by that girl » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:45 pm

couple years ago, we were performing our show at halftime...everything was going GREAT until we got to our closer. All the woodwinds were in a follow the leader going backwards at 180, and outta nowhere, the bari sax chick behind me starts trippin', then she falls, and then i start to trip, but i caught my balance, then i watched 'bout 20 or more people trip over her and create this HUGE pile. It was kinda scary cuz i was pretty much marching on my own for the reminder of the show. it was sooo embarrasing :oops: I think the worse thing was hearing the entire stadium laughing at us!!...the next day, one of our marching instructers showed us the video and we got to watch everyone eat it! it was sooo horrible then, but now that i look back, i think it's hilarious! :lol:

Music

Post by Music » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:15 pm

This is my first year marching quads and the first runthrough of our field show i tripped over my own foot baecuse i wasn't marching right. FIrst my drum hopped off my harnes, then my harnes hopped off of me, and finaly to put the iceing on the cake I fell on my drum. I always get into fights with my drum :lol: , but the is the first time i actualy lost and now i have a battle scar :lol: . I laugh now, but it realy did hurt. :cry: :wink:

Pong

Post by Pong » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:27 pm

This one is easy for me to answer. It happened last year as the Napa Competition. I was apart of the pit for Leigh when they had done the 13th hour. It was sprinkling right before we were setting up to go on. Nearing the end of our opener, the rain began to pour down. As a result, my uniform was a little damp. For the ballad, I had to play the synthesizer (the ONLY piece of equipment in the show that relied on electricity to run). I will never forget that feeling I got after I played the Ab octaves. It was a sharp burn that ran up my right arm. Electric shock. I lasted the entire show and went to a nearby hospital after to check if my nerves were still in tact and they still are. Thats gonna be one heck of a story to tell the grandkids when I grow old. "My last HS field show performance I was electricuted during the show."

Eat March Die

Post by Eat March Die » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:15 pm

TOTALLY! I've had the sprinklers go off a few times!

rockinpito
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rockinpito » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:26 pm

it actually happened at rampage this weekend! im in the pit so when we leave the field we are like a spazzing mess. we were trying to fit all the equptement on the timp cart and i had to leave the synth cart for a second. when i came back, it had already been grabbed by someone else. cause i didnt want to leave the field empty handed, i ran over to the timp cart. the dad driving the quad had already taken off so i hopped on just as someone yelled at him to stop. i flew forward and almost put a hole through the timpani head! it also made a huge boing sound. that was pretty embarassing. :oops:

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:06 pm

last year one of are snare's fell into a pot hole at a football game. needless to say he tripped and landed drum first...when he got up his drum was tilted and a huge piece of grass was stuck on the front of it...the drumline was laughing thru the whole ballad. our director was mad at first, but when they explained what happened i think he just laughed.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:13 am

for some reason i just happen to scream stuff at the wrong time. like i yelled ONE!!! when we were ordered to dress center!

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:00 pm

I have a worst field experience, it just so happens to be in this years show. It's not so much of something that I did, but more of what I have to do. You see, we have this one move thing, you have to see it, and I bring a new meaning to the phrase "jazz running". You see, it's not Jazz running, it's lizzy running. I have to "lizzy run" 29 1/2 steps in 16 counts going some odd beats per min. SO that's like, a something to the 5, but all I know is that it's bigger then my legs can handle. And then I have to play because I can't let my 2nd baritone buddy carry both of us, cuz well, yeah. And then my bro keeps comenting on how funny I look, but he got his well deserved...hehhee... think he fell on accident! MUWAHA! just kidding, I didn't make him fall...lol
OHS '01 - '05

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:41 am

Really, I think all my most embarrassing moments have happened on the field, but because it's marching band, I never really feel embarrassed. Plus it's all stuff like blanking out about where my next set is supposed to be. I did that 2 or 3 times when we were practicing at Del Oro and a whole bunch of people were watching. :oops:
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Most embarassing moment

Post by BlueStarMom » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:46 pm

When my daughter was in the BSR at J W North, during her freshman year, the band was performing at the Bands Of America Las Vegas Regional. One BSR member marched right out of their shoe and the judge calmly picked it up, and carried it off. Another member in the colorguard forgot her shoes back in Riverside. She marched the prelims and finals without them on.

p.s. this year at Rubidoux the BSR had to finish half of their show in the DARK, after the lights went out completly. They performed 2nd time and still took sweeps...
:D :D :D :D
BlueStarMom
:)

sabregurl

Embarrassing moments...

Post by sabregurl » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:58 am

Last year during our prelims performance at WBA championships one of our alto saxes fell during a follow the leader and he bounced down and up and on the judge's tape you hear... great recovery! Lol. My own embarassing moments... whew too many. But at practice last year right before championships... well, we had these blue exercise balls that were used for a duet with sabres. At one part the sabres had to step on top of the ball and throw a triple blad toss... I slipped and fell on my side... did I mention I was on the fifty? hahahaha.
What Time is it??? SHOW TIME!!! I love you, my family... my "guardies"

BHC123
New Recruit
New Recruit

stupid section leader...

Post by BHC123 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:58 pm

alright well this was my freshmen year last year and it happened during practice. i play tuba and in the opener we have this serpentine we go into near the end of it... well i had this huge section leader, i mean he was massive, and everytime he would just blow past everyone totally out of the line and one time he was just burning rubber and stepped on foot(making matters worse we were going bacwards marching) and he kinda just stayed on my foot for a while so i tried to keep going but i couldn't so i fell flat on my back with my tuba on and then he falls and lands on me. so i just got up like nothing happened and just kept going. :lol:
Our Greatest Glory Lies Not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall

did u hear what happened in mexico today??
2 cars crashed and 500 ppl died!!