Inside North Korea

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Inside North Korea

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Stunning, horrifying, amazing. The closest thing to an Orwellian-state this world has ever seen. Please, devote one hour of your time to watch this (it's in 14 separate five-minute parts, so feel free to space them out).

VICE, VBS.TV, and Shane Smith deserve Pulitzer Prizes for this work.

http://bit.ly/aWYqVi

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Inside North Korea

Post by ZJH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Quite possibly one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen, mostly because it's real.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:28 am

Not just real: surreal. It's incredible to fathom that this place even exists. The view into a country where the government has 100% control over all information and thought is both fascinating and terrifying.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:43 am

Watched the videos, fascinating and scary. Makes me want to learn the truth behind North Korea, what really goes on there, and not just what the government allows a few select tourists see. They just put on one big elaborate play for the guy, I would like to see how their lives are actually lived, delve deeper, but I guess that's hard to do.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

More government is not better. That is what I got from this. People in our country should think about that when we discuss government-run or government-mandated (fill-in-the-blank).

It usually starts innocently and benevolently and can end up with the government running the entirety of the existence of the populace.

justinian
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by justinian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:02 pm

seanrj wrote:More government is not better. That is what I got from this. People in our country should think about that when we discuss government-run or government-mandated (fill-in-the-blank).

It usually starts innocently and benevolently and can end up with the government running the entirety of the existence of the populace.
What government-provided service are you prepared, right now, to live without? Maybe police services? Infrastructure? Public schools?

With all due respect, maybe we should watch out for generalizations.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Schools, police, and fire are local government services. I am referring to the national (Federal in our case) government programs, much like the national government in north korea is in literally total control.

I really do not think that the Federal government should be involved in education to the extent that they are. I definitely do not think that they should be sticking their noses into things like a national health care system or worming their way into the banking/financial systems. Regulation is one thing, but crossing the line into control is too much. The more the Federal government controls, the less that our local communities do. The centralization/consolidation of power/authority is a danger to any free society.

That is the point that I was trying to make.

justinian
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by justinian » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:22 pm

seanrj wrote:Schools, police, and fire are local government services. I am referring to the national (Federal in our case) government programs, much like the national government in north korea is in literally total control.

I really do not think that the Federal government should be involved in education to the extent that they are. I definitely do not think that they should be sticking their noses into things like a national health care system or worming their way into the banking/financial systems. Regulation is one thing, but crossing the line into control is too much. The more the Federal government controls, the less that our local communities do. The centralization/consolidation of power/authority is a danger to any free society.

That is the point that I was trying to make.
I get your point. Your beef is with centralization and bureaucratization. It is inefficient and nurtures corruption and abuses of power.