RMC Maces

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

ChamberKid209
New Recruit
New Recruit

RMC Maces

Post by ChamberKid209 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Questions for all of you that spin a regimental mace. What makes them better than others? What makes them better than peacocks? Why should I spin a RMC Mace?

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: RMC Maces

Post by dmcoach » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:18 pm

It really depends on what you'd like to spin more. The Peacock American Mace is pretty good and predictable when you spin it. The shape is uniform, and it's made of fiberglass. They can be ordered with different colors from their website. The only downside that I see to it is that a few good drops will snap the screw that's keeping the dome together which is difficult for a regular person to fix.

The RMC Mace is pretty good also, but it does take some time to get used to. No two canes are the same, but they are all designed to have very similar balance points. I like the RMC's because they're flashier with the larger domes, they're fun to toss, and they are designed to take a beating. No problems with mine, and they are easy to maintain if you beat it up.
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:59 pm

If you're a shorter guy like me, spinning even the shortest Peacock mace will be like spinning a slightly shorter version of yourself in stick form. That, and I've had my fair share of injuries from Peacock maces, including chains ripping off some skin, the rim of the dome digging into skin on a botched catch, and some pretty bad hits on the hand from the stiff fiberglass shaft coming down the wrong way. These maces are ridiculously light, though.

As for the RMC maces, I haven't had a single problem since they fixed my prototype model (it was the first mace they ever sold). Tosses are very smooth once you get used to spinning a heavier mace, which is adjustable (steel vs. aluminum heads, inner discs with/without holes), and there is MUCH less pain involved with mistakes made during practice. Transitioning from a Peacock to an RMC won't take much more than some light weight training just to build arm, forearm, and shoulder strength, and less than hour getting used to the new mace. Overall, I highly recommend it.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

ChamberKid209
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChamberKid209 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 pm

ZJH wrote:If you're a shorter guy like me, spinning even the shortest Peacock mace will be like spinning a slightly shorter version of yourself in stick form.
I'm 6 feet tall. I spin with a peacock mace right now. Had chains for awhile, kinda weird because I didn't really get cut up and accually like chains more than the mace being naked. But I think I'm going to purchase a RMC for next years marching season if and only if I am drum major.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 am

Ehhh, it all comes down to preference. If you like the chains, that's cool. Whatever floats your boat. I wrap really thin flat cords around my RMC for grip.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

jghsdrummer14
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jghsdrummer14 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm

I had originally spun a peacock. I liked it a lot, and didn't plan on switching. After my first L pattern season, i picked up an RMC to try it out, and really liked it. I really liked the feel, and the balance point, and the way it tossed. I'm big on tosses, so i kind fell in love. :lol:
But it takes about a month or two to get used to the style, and the way it spins. I'm six foot tall as well, and the RMC was killing me at first. Now i've adjusted fairly well :P
Joshua Raymond Leduc
John Glenn High School Marching Eagle Band
Drum Major/Drumline Captain
2006-2010

Oldmaceguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Oldmaceguy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 pm

My old stick is a Peacock shaft with a Premier dome; when I picked it up after 30 years it started hurting me. The RMC mace was the absolute best investment I made. The cane shaft has lots of flex so it eliminates the "push-pull" needed to keep a fiberglass shaft prop spin going and also provides much needed inertia in a toss, plus.....it won't hurt me!!!
It also takes a licking and keeps on ticking; I've dropped it on asphalt, cement, you name it; it absorbs punishment that would trash a Peacock or Premier.