Combining Winter Drum line and Guard

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Melinda

Combining Winter Drum line and Guard

Post by Melinda » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm

I am a Color Guard instructor at Walnut High School and we were thinking about doing a combined winter drum line and guard this year. Our drum line has never had a winter line and the guard is having trouble finding competitions near our area. So we were thinking of trying something new this year. Has anyone ever done this kind of show? Any advice?

scottytk
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Combining Winter Drum line and Guard

Post by scottytk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJwZF1D ... re=related

They were this past season's scholastic world class champion. It has been done before by many other schools too - very successfully. :)

Good luck!

-Scott Tanaka
Scott Tanaka
Percussion Educator - Designer - Composer/Arranger
Innovative Percussion Artist

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 am

Melinda, there's a topic in the director's forum about this very same thing. Ask Vore or Hostrauser (I forget which of them grants access to that forum) requesting access so you can view it. There are pros and cons when combining the two groups.

musikteecher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musikteecher » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm

When I was at Armijo Hs the drumline back in 1993 (or was it 94) did a combined show using Peter Gabiel's music and we played with an acompanying track. We had a good time with it. The judges (at the time) didn't like it.... I think the audience did though.

Anyway... if you want to know how to put that together talk to Gavin Bering. (it was his idea :cool2: )
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:02 am

musikteecher wrote:When I was at Armijo Hs the drumline back in 1993 (or was it 94) did a combined show using Peter Gabiel's music and we played with an acompanying track.
The playing to a track part - not good. Actually, expressly forbidden by every drum line circuit's rules.

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 pm

[quote="Teever"][quote="musikteecher"]When I was at Armijo Hs the drumline back in 1993 (or was it 94) did a combined show using Peter Gabiel's music and we played with an acompanying track. [/quote]

The playing to a track part - not good. Actually, expressly forbidden by every drum line circuit's rules.[/quote]

Dude - Chill out ... that was in 1993 or 1994 ... way before that circuit [NCBA] had rules about using prerecorded tracks! I'm sure that instructor knew what he was doing. In fact, if I am right, Gavin Bering's track record [WGI, CCGC, CVGPC, WBA, and NCBA Champion] dictates that he definitely knew what he was doing.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi all, Springstowne of Vallejo has combined Drumline and Guard this year. They compete in CCGC and NCBA if you want to catch a show.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Georgie wrote: Dude - Chill out ...
The "Dude" is chillin'...
However, the response was to the original poster, Melinda, so she (or anyone currently thinking about it, not Gavin-who's-been-around-since-'93) would have that information.

'93...too funny.

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:53 pm

As the "kids" say ... "whatever".

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Teever wrote:
musikteecher wrote:When I was at Armijo Hs the drumline back in 1993 (or was it 94) did a combined show using Peter Gabiel's music and we played with an acompanying track.
The playing to a track part - not good. Actually, expressly forbidden by every drum line circuit's rules.
Heads up everyone just watched RCC on WGI Fan Network and they had a good 30 seconds or more of a recorded popular song that did set the tempo...I wonder how that is going to work ouy.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 pm

Yeah, you can use a sample of something, but I'm not sure how or if the WGI ruling on setting a tempo has changed. Also kinda curious how they worked around copyrights, or else went legit and payed a good chunk for it.

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:47 pm

gcarrasco wrote:
Teever wrote:
Heads up everyone just watched RCC on WGI Fan Network and they had a good 30 seconds or more of a recorded popular song that did set the tempo...I wonder how that is going to work ouy.

This is news to me... you DEFINITELY can't be talking about this year, but come to think of it, there has never been an RCC Winter Drumline show that I know of that has done what you are talking about here.

Brian Dinkel
RCC Member 2004
Staff 2005 - present

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:27 pm

This is news to me... you DEFINITELY can't be talking about this year, but come to think of it, there has never been an RCC Winter Drumline show that I know of that has done what you are talking about here.

Brian Dinkel
RCC Member 2004
Staff 2005 - present[/quote]

You are correct MY MISTAKE. I checked back and it and it was RhythmX with exactly 30 seconds of recorded music. Just saw it again thanks for the correction. "Muse" "knights of something or other..." The show was at Dayton Ohio.

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:28 pm

You are correct... Rhythm X is using a lot of Muse samples this year. The rule is that you are allowed to sample as much as you want, but no individual sample can have any "rhythmic intent". Meaning, if you want to use an extended portion of a song, you need to chop it up and trigger each rhythm in real time, with 1 keystroke per note.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 pm

BDinkel wrote:You are correct... Rhythm X is using a lot of Muse samples this year. The rule is that you are allowed to sample as much as you want, but no individual sample can have any "rhythmic intent". Meaning, if you want to use an extended portion of a song, you need to chop it up and trigger each rhythm in real time, with 1 keystroke per note.
To bad the video is so bad I can't see if someone is actually playing Muse or even singing.