Technical Snare Questions

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

scwhat

Technical Snare Questions

Post by scwhat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey Everybody

I'm a junior in high school and I've been trying hard to get my chops good enough to be in drum corps in the 2011 season and for college after that.
I don't really have a percussion coach or anything and it would be really helpful if I knew the answers to some of these questions.

So, typically when drumming where on the head should the sticks hit?
Should it be perfectly centered or slightly in front of the center?
And if you dont mind could you explain why you hit there?

When is it appropriate to hit on the edge of the drum?
Should different dynamics be played at different spots on the head?
Or is playing on the edge just an effect?

With the right hand (or both hands for matched grip) should the thumb be placed right next to the hand or farther away from it, closer to the index finger?

On a flat drum, what are some benefits of playing traditional grip?
Ive been trying to convince our band director to let us play traditional next year but she seems hesitant.
I was trying to tell her that if we march the snare anywhere else, like in college or in drum corps, that we will have to play traditional grip
Are there any technical reasons to play traditional grip?

Also, for college, when should i get my audition piece and where would I go about looking for one? When would you recommend I audition? (I still have another year of highschool after this one)

I was thinking about auditioning for drum corps in 2011. Do you think that would be helpful for getting into a college drumline? Do you know of any significant differences between drum corps and college or high school drumlines?

That's all I can think of for now.
Thanks for helping.

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Technical Snare Questions

Post by geefunk1026 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Okay, I can answer some of these as they apply marching band/drum corps.

Typically in the very center of a marching snare drum. Hitting the very center will depress the top head the most and therefore produce the most sound.
There are typically 4 common playing areas on a marching drum.
1. Center
2. Front edge (about 1" from the front hoop)
3. Halfway (halfway between the first 2 playing zones).
4. Gut Edge ( beads 1" from the hoop above the snares (usually the 2 O'clock position between the lugs)

These zones are used mostly for dynamics. The gut edge will have a wetter sound than the front edge, so it is more for effect than volume.

Thumb placement should be with the index finger. I like to play with my thumb no higher than my index finger so I can create optimal pressure between the two.

The only benefit of playing traditional on a flat drum is the experience you'll get preparing for another ensemble. There is no real benefit to playing traditional outside of that.

You should always get audition material as soon as it is available.

If you have drum corps experience, you should have no trouble playing in a college marching band.

The #1 thing that will help you from what I can see is a teacher. Find someone who specializes in marching percussion and take some lessons. If you live in the middle of nowhere, you can set up a video lesson with some people. I can't think any drummers that have made their way into a good drum corps with no formal training. A private teacher can easily answer all of your questions.

Good luck.

scwhat

Post by scwhat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 pm

thank you very much!!
this information will help me a lot
ill look around for a teacher
thats a really good idea
i hadnt really thought of that before

Che!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Che! » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Depending on which corps you wanna try and march for, you should look into using middle finger fulcrum in both hand if playing matched or just your right hand if you're playing traditional. It seems to be the trendy technique now.

scwhat

Post by scwhat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 am

hmm interesting
ill look into that