Charity Concert

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Charity Concert

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 pm

I want to make a concert/ recital event for charity. It would be called "Waiting on the World to Change". There would be 3 different charities, and all proceeds will be evenly distributed to them. I am a dancer/ color guard member, but i am really good friends with the brass ensemble at my school. I would have them play a few pieces and have some dance routines, and i would want to end with my ballet solo to " Instant Concert" (yes, the band arrangement). The show would start with all performers doing a "dance" to the song " Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer. But i need to pick 3 charities to donate to. I want to do the Dizzy Feet Foundation, but I also want to have a charity for cancer awareness and some other charities. Any suggestions for where to send the money?? Is this even a good idea :?: :?: :?: :?:
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Charity Concert

Post by Chapagne » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Sure it's a good idea. However, unless you expect to raise at least several thousand dollars, I would recommend picking one charity/foundation to give your gift more of an impact. If you end up sending $75 checks to three different groups, it doesn't do much, but $225 to one helps more. If you're trying to draw in band people by having a charity in which they are interested, pick no more than two total.

Keep in mind that successful events are not thrown together. You need more than just the performers' parents to show up. How are you going to get the word out to the community? Do you have the backing of the school administration? The school board? The city council? The last two are especially well-connected with business people and could help you fill seats with their influence. Are there any fraternal organizations in your city (Kiwanas, Optimists, Masons, etc.) that might partner with you as well? Be prepared to present yourself as professional and answer their questions if you talk to them. Some of those groups will donate to your cause just for you giving a presentation on it. Do not, under any circumstances, use the word "like" and the phrase "you know" except in their proper dictionary definitions. You don't want to sound like a typical kid, but one who has her act together.

As for foundations that deal with music, you could check out Chely Wright Foundation, Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation or Mockingbird Foundation. All of these have websites you can check to find out their particular missions.

Good luck!
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:11 pm

Really thrilled to see this posting!! I have long believed that we need to be charitable. Many of us ask our communities (out of necessity) to buy items, donate items, etc. While I was at Granite Bay High School we establisehd an annual concert for the AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY & the A.L.S. ASSOCIATION. The motivation was a band mom was diagnosed with A.L.S. and wanted us to sponsor a benefit concert. While that mom was living with A.L.S. we had about six parents battling cancer - so we added the American Cancer Society. Five years since leaving GBHS, I am so happy they continue the annual concert.

When I moved to Galt HS...I continued this tradition.

December 14/15 Dublin HS concerts collected TOYS FOR TOTS and raised over $2,000 for an eighth grade student whose dad was murdered. The $2,000 + went to her trust fund.

Now, MAY 21ST, 2010 "Jazzin' for a Cure" makes its debut. Joining DUBLIN HIGH SCHOOL JAZZ BAND WILL BE: MONTE VISTA, FOOTHILL AND hopefully DOUGHERTY VALLEY HIGH SCHOOLS. Please ... I would encourage all of us to give back to our communities. Albeit...march in the local parades or sponsor concerts. Thanks again for this great posting!!!

To vote...attend the meetings...say "no to proxy voting." :soap:

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:48 pm

thanks for the advice, i'll take it all into consideration
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Psalm 56 wrote:I would encourage all of us to give back to our communities.
Here's a selfish motive too. If the community knows who your group is, your school and district have more motivation to keep you around when thinking of budget cuts.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander