military, military signal, or or mace?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

D-Revolution
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: military, military signal, or or mace?

Post by D-Revolution » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 am

So I haven't spun a baton for 2 years (that's what happens in college and don't have a parade band to be in :( ), but I began to miss the old Drum Major days and started listening to parade marches... rather than study for finals. :oops:

That finally led me to wonder about new batons (strange right?). As a former signal baton spinner who was too young to ever own one of those legendary Jemm Signal Batons, I've always yearned for one seeing as the only option at the time was the Military Signal Baton provided by Peacock's Marching World.

Well, I checked that place again and Lo and Behold, Peacock's has created a signal baton similar (if not the same) as the Jemm (I wouldn't know since I've only spun one once... 3 years ago)! Does anyone know when they began producing this shiny piece of beauty on a stick? :P

That is so cool! 8-) I have an urge to purchase one for the sake of owning one! Heck, I'll even try and make time for L-pattern competitions again! :D

http://marchingworld.com/pg310.htm <----- It's so pretty! :bow:
AHS: Drum Major 2006-2008
Saxophone Section Leader 2004-2008
Vice President 2007-2008
UCLA: Band Member 2008-Present!

"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to FAIL!"

bigcity
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bigcity » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 am

Peacock began the process of making those signal batons about a year ago if my memory serves me correctly. I heard a rumor that he bought all the extra materials from Jemm when they went out of business and is producing a near perfect replica. I haven't had the opportunity to spin one yet, but as an owner of 8 Jemm signal batons, I can say in this thread that the signal baton is by far the most powerful piece of equipment out there. There is a look it gives the DM that other military batons don't even come close to. That being said, it takes the right DM to spin one. I have had my students in the past want to spin the Jemm, but it just didn't work right with the proportions to their body. The Jemm that Arcadia has is cut down a little and not the 44'' that I spun, or the 48'' monster that I have. The balance and weight of the signal baton just makes spinning effortless. I am sure dmcoach would attest to that. DMJUDGE was supposed to have gotten the first baton that peacock made for a tryout, but I haven't heard if he has yet. IMOP, there is nothing like a Jemm.

DMPwer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DMPwer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm

ZJH wrote:
DMPwer wrote:Very nice post.

There is one company that I know of that has excellent Military Batons that was not mentioned.

It's called the Excellon Drum Major Baton. (Made by Pete Harper) I really think it's one of the best DM Military Batons available today.

It's perfectly weighted in sizes 34" 36" 38" 40" .

- It's not that metal shaft you often see, it's a white shaft which is more easily seen in performance (a + for many)

- Chrome steel head

- Can be custom ordered to any custom length up to 42"

- Can come in many braid colors.

I know that Granada Drum Majors up north use it and others.

---- In regards to spinning, I used to spin mace for middle school and I was originally going to a HS with a American Mace DM but then I switched HS's and spun Military.

I prefer Military to because I think it gives you much more to do, it looks more snappy/professional and is a beauty when mastered.

:)
Probably the only people that still own Excelon batons nowadays are Rick Wilson, Kris Harper (director of Whitney HS in Rocklin) and Kathleen Jones (née Harper, wife of Tom Jones, director of Granada HS), the latter two of which were Pete Harper's kids, if I'm not completely out of my mind, haha. I've always wanted to ask Kathleen how to buy one, but I never got around to it. But yes, Excelon batons are very fun to spin.

Yes :) Kathleen is my coach and I do spin an excelon. I have two and my older one i've had since Freshmen year (Senior now), it hasn't bent :D. If you would like, I can give you the number to order and even try to email the form.
Umayr Sufi
Granada H.S Asst. Drum Major 2008-2010
Drum Major Instructor
http://www.umayrsufi.com

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:45 pm

bigcity wrote:Peacock began the process of making those signal batons about a year ago if my memory serves me correctly. I heard a rumor that he bought all the extra materials from Jemm when they went out of business and is producing a near perfect replica. I haven't had the opportunity to spin one yet, but as an owner of 8 Jemm signal batons, I can say in this thread that the signal baton is by far the most powerful piece of equipment out there. There is a look it gives the DM that other military batons don't even come close to. That being said, it takes the right DM to spin one. I have had my students in the past want to spin the Jemm, but it just didn't work right with the proportions to their body. The Jemm that Arcadia has is cut down a little and not the 44'' that I spun, or the 48'' monster that I have. The balance and weight of the signal baton just makes spinning effortless. I am sure dmcoach would attest to that. DMJUDGE was supposed to have gotten the first baton that peacock made for a tryout, but I haven't heard if he has yet. IMOP, there is nothing like a Jemm.
Agree, agree, and agree... 8-)

Not all people are made to spin a signal baton (whether it be a Jemm or a Peacock), you're right. But when the right person has it in their hands, man that thing just looks really intimidating. You have to have a certain level of strength because it just doesn't look as good if you show a bit of strain when you spin it. It's got to look effortless. I also think the style needs to be precise since it's more visual, and it can easily give small details of imperfection away to the judge(s).

I myself know that it's not for me, I'm more of a 38" Ken Krome kinda guy. I actually started using my 42" Jemm for instructing. It's more visual, and it's easier for my students to see when I try to do examples for hand positions for them.

So, my tip for people that're looking to getting any type of signal baton... Start working on strengthening, precision, and making sure that upper body stays solid the whole time. Heck, that's a good recommendation for ANY drum major out there :shades:
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

D-Revolution
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by D-Revolution » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:39 am

dmcoach wrote: So, my tip for people that're looking to getting any type of signal baton... Start working on strengthening, precision, and making sure that upper body stays solid the whole time. Heck, that's a good recommendation for ANY drum major out there :shades:
I'm a leftie, and I remember that after spinning a signal for two years, I realized that my right arm had gotten almost, if not as strong as my left arm and it definitely showed too! Shows how physically demanding drum majoring is. :)
AHS: Drum Major 2006-2008
Saxophone Section Leader 2004-2008
Vice President 2007-2008
UCLA: Band Member 2008-Present!

"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to FAIL!"

fadrummajor09-10

Post by fadrummajor09-10 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:01 pm

nice post :D

Marching World's Traditional Signal is the baton i use.
my spec's- 40 inches, white shaft, blue cord to match my uniform
pros-just like the now-rare jemm batons, better weight than Marching World's Signals, just looks really cool, white shaft looks good with school-colored cords to match uniforms (i got a lot of points for it 8-) )
cons- not much i can think of 8-)
users: First Avenue MS (me), Dana MS (Ben Kim)

American Mace is my mace 8-)
my spec's- 52 inches (i am short at this point...im going to need a new one when im 6'5 when im older haha), white shaft, no chain or cords, brass finish
pros-easy tosses, pretty balanced weight
cons-dents pretty easily :cry:
users: a LOT, but Foothills MS is one haha

Jemm Baton- i dont have one, but i spin my teacher's all the time
his specs-38 inches (he regrets having it that short. he would have preferred 40 inches), metal shaft
Pros-the HOLY GRAIL of batons. absolutely PERFECT. :bow:
Cons-not for sale anymore :cry:
Users: Alan Riley (my teacher), almost every former Arcadia Drum Major including Leandro, who is the current AHS dm (which is why there are rumors online that we have batons made for us Arcadians...which is why Peacock's Traditional Signal is so helpful for us younger Arcadians so we can continue the tradition 8-) )