What is good, durable backdrop materials?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

tinkrbelle22

What is good, durable backdrop materials?

Post by tinkrbelle22 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi, my name is Ashley and I'm The Oak Hills High Pageantry coach. I am looking for any ideas for backdrops. They need to be light weight, durable, and able to rotate relatively easy. I thought of using Poly Tech boards but i don't think they will rotate easily. Then i thought about particle board but then it would have to be hinged to be sturdy and wheels and casters applied. I'm hoping for an easy rectangle-ish backdrop the can be painted on both sides and rotated around. I'm going to need 6 of them. If you have any ideas that could help, please feel free to respond here or via my e-mail address: ashleyrogden@aol.com

Thanks,

Ashley
OHH Pageantry Coach

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: What is good, durable backdrop materials?

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:36 am

You can get 8 foot tall insulation pieces from Home Depot. I believe they're around $20 a board. Usually they're taped together to make a V shape, but you could probably develop a stand to hold them up so that you can only use one as a rectangle. Somebody might have a suggestion as to how to hold them up. Maybe build a stand with small wheels to rotate them?
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:57 am

^

I use the same thing that Ben just mentioned. You can make small stands with wheels to rotate these, it's not too hard. They are very light weight and you can't beat the size. 8 feet tall by 4 feet wide. Makes a perfect back drop. And, as long as they are new, painting on them is fairly easy.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:26 pm

You can paint old ones too, just prime over the old paint. The addition of weight isn't too noticeable. We had the same ones all 4 years in HS. The ones we have at the high school I teach at now are still going strong as well.
Colorguard Instructor

tinkrbelle22

Post by tinkrbelle22 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:30 am

thanks for your suggestions. I think that the v shape is what i want. like a story book sort of so i can start with one side facing forward and then just rotate to the alternate piece. thank you all again. Oh yeah i can use regular paint on these or is there specific types that are preferable?

Thanks,

Ashley =)
OHH Pageantry Coach

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

We typically use house paint. It's pretty effective. At SMHS, the art club generously painted them for us, which led to some pretty awesome backdrops. Tap into your artistic resources to get the best results=]
Colorguard Instructor