Ringing in Rio

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Ringing in Rio

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Congratulations to Rio de Janeiro....the official host of the 2016 "Summer" Olympic Games.
-Stop global whining.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Ringing in Rio

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.

ovhs_sousaman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ovhs_sousaman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:16 am

Hostrauser wrote:Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.
Well, it'll be winter here in the U.S., but it will be summer down there, so it's still the Summer Olympics.
Sean Yeutter

I've marched a bit. 4 years at Ocean View High School, three on tuba, a season with Impulse Drum and Bugle Corps.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:56 am

ovhs_sousaman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Heh. First time in South America, and 2nd time in sixteen years that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Winter.
Well, it'll be winter here in the U.S., but it will be summer down there, so it's still the Summer Olympics.
Just the opposite. The Olympics will be held in AUGUST: summer in the NORTHERN hemisphere, but winter in the Southern hemisphere.

ovhs_sousaman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ovhs_sousaman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
ovhs_sousaman wrote:
Just the opposite. The Olympics will be held in AUGUST: summer in the NORTHERN hemisphere, but winter in the Southern hemisphere.
:oops: didn't know that. that is quite strange. :dno:
Sean Yeutter

I've marched a bit. 4 years at Ocean View High School, three on tuba, a season with Impulse Drum and Bugle Corps.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:19 pm

ovhs_sousaman wrote: :oops: didn't know that. that is quite strange. :dno:
Due to the Earth's axis tilt, the seasons are flipped on opposite sides of the equator. During June, July, August, the Northern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Southern hemisphere leans away (Northern summer, Southern winter). During December, January, February, the Southern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Northern hemisphere leans away (Northern winter, Southern summer).

The Basics: http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/ ... asons.html

ovhs_sousaman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ovhs_sousaman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
ovhs_sousaman wrote: :oops: didn't know that. that is quite strange. :dno:
Due to the Earth's axis tilt, the seasons are flipped on opposite sides of the equator. During June, July, August, the Northern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Southern hemisphere leans away (Northern summer, Southern winter). During December, January, February, the Southern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun and the Northern hemisphere leans away (Northern winter, Southern summer).

The Basics: http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/ ... asons.html
I knew that.. I just meant it was strange that they would hold the Summer Olympics during winter.
Sean Yeutter

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Actually, Rio is in the tropics, so it's summer all year long. Why quibble?

Here in the Philippines, it's hot all year long, but they call "summer" when school is out between March and June. (The school year runs from June to March.) When they start school early, they say they shorten summer.

I remember the first day of summer 1995. We had a winter storm when I was driving to work in Los Angeles. I mention this to the people here in the Philippines and they think I'm crazy. ("You can't have a WINTER storm in SUMMER!!!")