Are We There Yet?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Are We There Yet?

Post by JenKozy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:36 pm

This is the time of year that I get very antsy! Since our fall show is complete and all we are doing is tweaking and cleaning, the behind the scenes focus is now onto winter. Orders being placed, uniforms and music editing being finalized. We announce the show(s) to the students at Fairfield... and I can't wait!!!

I am so ready for winter, I can barely stand it! Anyone else ready to rock this?
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Are We There Yet?

Post by ErinF » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I feel ya.. Winter has been a big discussion for us 3 (instructors) for well over a month now. Actually... its ALWAYS a big discussion with us lol. Im SO ready to start practicing. Music is done, uniforms are chosen, flag silks are chosen, now its just time to teach! Im ready to see what this season holds.. But first, 2 more band reviews to get through :)

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:16 pm

wow I cant even bring up the subject to the guard because they need all their concentration for fairfield......... how do you guys keep sane when the kids pretend to not know how to do choreography they have been doing since August?

Our try outs will be Dec. 15th.. until then.. I just need them to concentrate on their upcoming comp. ..though I have been trying to think of ideas for this year, but we cant choose uniforms until we know for sure who will do it.......... remember last year.. as soon as our first rehearsal was over one of our 5 quit.. so we had to cancel the whole rest of the season..even though we would have had 4 really dedicated members.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:14 pm

my prep with my new squad started 2 weeks ago with tryouts. helping out on a semi basis as long asmy job will allow me. i cant wait til comp season. new school, new league, even new timezone. aia here i come

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:22 pm

I'M SO READY! I can't wait! At Fremont, we have so much interest that we are creating a B guard to accomodate all the newbies that want to join for winter, although we usually only accept people already in the band program for winter. But because our guard is mostly FRESHMEN, they have about 20 more Freshmen interested, and in my perfect little fantasy world, they'll all join, leaving us with a 36 member guard!
We have our A guard show picked, and I'm working on getting the soundtrack and costumes all finished. Gotta put in a weapon order, and looks like we're gonna need some new silks as well, so all the outer design elements will be completed within the next week or two. Then in 3 weeks, we start Training!
For "...of essence," we're starting our show on Sunday and I CAN'T WAIT! It's something totally different than I've ever done, and I'm so excited to explore this new area of colorguard! My new co-instructor and I work really well together and I'm so excited to see how great we can make this show! We have silks and soundtrack chosen, still working on uniforms, and I'd like a different floor, but I'm not sure about that yet.
This is going to be SUCH a fun season! As much as I've started to like field season, winter is def. my fav!!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am

And the count down begins! My veteran guard members keep trying to get the shows out of me... they know that they never will, but they try none the less! I get to see my uniforms this week! ACK! So totally stoked!

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am

We got the first minute done for ...of essence yesterday! I'm so excited!!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:33 pm

It's tomorrow! The end of Fall! Thanksgiving week off, then on to Auditions! AHHH! So excited!

Twice the work this year for us, but so looking forward to it! :lol:

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Tomorrow marks the end of my last field season as an "official" guard parent. Although I always say "Once a guard parent, ALWAYS a guard parent!" .. this will also mark my last trip to Dayton :(

This has been an amazing field season, the show is awesome. I get eager this time of year as well. Can't wait to see what our director has in store for Winter!

Good Skills to everyone!!!
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Jen- Are you guys doing an A and B guard this year?

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:23 pm

My school guard is starting a winterguard for the first time in a long time. It's unfortunate because our coach has to move and can't coach us. and our band director is a jerk and wont let us use the school's equipment. any advice? we are determined to get this started! :D
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:15 pm

You will need to check with your principal, because if the band director doesn't support it, you might not be able to say you are from your school. Doing so comes with acceptance of liability (if someone gets hurt, accident on the way to the competition, etc...) and if it's not supported by the school you lose that.
~twinmomma

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 pm

twinmomma wrote:You will need to check with your principal, because if the band director doesn't support it, you might not be able to say you are from your school. Doing so comes with acceptance of liability (if someone gets hurt, accident on the way to the competition, etc...) and if it's not supported by the school you lose that.

we aren't school afiliated, we're independent. We are aware of liability issues, and its all taken care of. we just have to get money and turn in all the ppaacc forms.
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012