Foothill Recap

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Foothill Recap

Post by backtobasics05 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:35 am

Alright everyone Foothill is in the books and I missed the whole competition and I'm sure many others did as well. How were the performances out there. Any shockers, up and comers, or did anyone completely decimate the competition.

I heard Fairfield won, but last time I saw them (about a month ago) they were playing easy music, were pretty big for NCBA, and they were not very clean. I'm guessing they stepped up their game yesterday??
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

BanginBeats

Re: Foothill Recap

Post by BanginBeats » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Foothill was a very interesting day!Great drumlines but I disagree with the placing.Unfortunately I missed Vallejo's performance.I enjoyed Bencia's beats and they did very well.But I think I almost crapped my pants watching Rodriguez's show,it was AMAZING.They once again don't dissapoint.And I got to see Fairfield at Del Oro and as well as Foothill and I still got the same butterflies to see them perform!But honestly,I felt that they didn't have the "overall" better show.They perform it well but I thought hands down it was going to go to Rodriguez or maybe even Vallejo from what I heard.

But Its the judge's choice =/

chickenandwaffles
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by chickenandwaffles » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Last edited by chickenandwaffles on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Granite Bay had the best NCBA line I have seen in a long time.

Usernaim

Post by Usernaim » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 pm

bighud1 wrote:Granite Bay had the best NCBA line I have seen in a long time.

Anyone see benicia this year and last year? or the last several years of fairfield vallejo? or 06 hogan? or 07 foothill? even schools like vanden, armijo, elk grove, franklin, are all good school. Plus you can't really make a claim like that seeing as the activity changes poco a poco every year.

In all honesty GB's show wasn't as clean as it has been at foothill as it was shows prior. THEY ARE A PRETTY DANG GOOD DRUMLINE THOUGH.

Last i checked too, people in a forum several month ago said that "body movement" made playing more difficult. so, with the amount of body movement ff has in their show, it should be one of the harder shows out there. regardless of what everyone definition of "hard beats" are.

I am not "hating" on anyone, but isnt the point of music to play it clean? so why are people saying schools beats are too easy if its clean? Id take a clean 8th note passage over a dirty rolls and singles any day of the week.

scores and placement are the opinion of a judge. just cuz ff won the show doesn't mean they are good, or bad. likewise with the other schools that were there that day. its all a matter of opinion.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Usernaim wrote:

Anyone see benicia this year and last year? or the last several years of fairfield vallejo? or 06 hogan? or 07 foothill? even schools like vanden, armijo, elk grove, franklin, are all good school. Plus you can't really make a claim like that seeing as the activity changes poco a poco every year.

In all honesty GB's show wasn't as clean as it has been at foothill as it was shows prior. THEY ARE A PRETTY DANG GOOD DRUMLINE THOUGH.

Last i checked too, people in a forum several month ago said that "body movement" made playing more difficult. so, with the amount of body movement ff has in their show, it should be one of the harder shows out there. regardless of what everyone definition of "hard beats" are.

I am not "hating" on anyone, but isnt the point of music to play it clean? so why are people saying schools beats are too easy if its clean? Id take a clean 8th note passage over a dirty rolls and singles any day of the week.

scores and placement are the opinion of a judge. just cuz ff won the show doesn't mean they are good, or bad. likewise with the other schools that were there that day. its all a matter of opinion.

Sorry but the activity does not change that much year to year. I was standing with a few of fairfields staff members in the lot Saturday night and we were all blown away by Granite Bay.

Usernaim

Post by Usernaim » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:40 pm

bighud1 wrote:
Usernaim wrote:

Sorry but the activity does not change that much year to year. I was standing with a few of fairfields staff members in the lot Saturday night and we were all blown away by Granite Bay.
thats what poco a poco means... sorry that you didn't know that.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:05 am

So let me see If I understand you now. You are saying that the activity does not change that much year to year and I can't say that Granite Bay is the best line I have seen in years. Why would you say that I can't compare if it doesn't change much year to year? And there are a couple of those lines that I had not seen for a few years so I just watched some videos of them. While there was some great playing, I still have to say that Granite Bay is the best I have seen in a few years. I'm sure others have their favorites but G.B. happens to be mine. It kind of pisses me off because they are a rival LOL

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:09 am

thats what poco a poco means... sorry that you didn't know that.[/quote]

Don't be sorry, I always press one for English :D

Usernaim

Post by Usernaim » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 am

me too haha

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 am

So i guess fairfield DID clean it up on the street then this weekend.

Well about rodriguez i didnt see them at foothill but i know at santz cruz i was impressed by the demand in their show, but i definitely think the hose needed to come out their show for some sections because that day certain passages of the music unreadably dirty. Not sure exactly what their place was this week or how much cleaner they got this week. Any updates on them anyone?
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 am

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Georgie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:41 am

I know it reaaaaalllllyyyyyy doesn't matter, but I am curious who was the judge on Saturday. In the past, Allen Kristiansen [of DCI Finals fame] has been known to adudicate this show, and you can't get better than that!!!

beatboy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by beatboy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 pm

bighud1 wrote:
Usernaim wrote:

I think bighud was talking about granite bay's field show line. I'd have to agree because granite bay never seems to dissapoint when it comes to field, in any category not just percussion. I didnt get to see their show but i hear its one like no other. I do believe their drumline scored a 96.something on field though. (I could be wrong though)
Last edited by beatboy on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 am

I believe they got a 96.4 and second place was as 89.6 with third place getting a 89.5