New here, have a couple of questions :)

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

CowTown73

New here, have a couple of questions :)

Post by CowTown73 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:40 am

Hello all,

A little back-story before my questions :)

I volunteer at a local high school, helping out the music program, and recently, starting a color guard for the marching band. We have a flag instructor (volunteer as well), and myself, who is instructing I.D. Unit, rifles (when we get to that point), and helping the band with marching and musicality.

The kids are falling in love with color guard, and are learning quickly. None of them have a background in it, and some have never seen a performance, so this is all very exciting. We are looking to build the program over a period of several years, but we are in a good starting place. I want to be able to give them as much information as possible. With that said, my background (aside from the music aspect) is with rifles and as drum major.

I am pretty good at watching I.D. units, learning from what I see, and making routines, blocking formations, etc... however, I don't know what most of the terminology is in regard to the shields and the performed moves. Needless to say, it's funny when they ask what something is called. I ask them "What does it look like? We will call it that" :)

First Question: I would really love to learn the proper terminology. Does anyone know of a web site, a book, or anything that has any information one could learn from? Information such as different techniques, names of moves, etc?

Second Question: For the I.D. Unit, I have 4 girls and 3 boys. Initially, I was after 7 girls, simply because it seemed to be easier to choreograph for girls (read, not having to worry about intermixing more feminine and masculine movements). Now that it is a concern, any advice on how to marry the two so that each is present, but gel together when side by side? The girls want to do more dance movement, while the boys want more military precision. My thought was recruit more girls and move the boys to rifles so that they could mirror movements, but didn't have to match entirely to be cohesive. However, that's probably not going to happen until next school year.

I am sure I have a billion questions, but I've already written an essay, so I will save some for later. Thanks in advance, and just want to say this is a great site with tons of information!

tinkrbelle22

Re: New here, have a couple of questions :)

Post by tinkrbelle22 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:21 am

Hello,

I have found that there are some tutorials on you tube that give the proper terminology and technique as well...I would try there firs. Just type in flag tutorials..

Secondly to your dance and military problem. I think that perhaps you could try to make the dance moves for the guys maybe more sharp rather than flow and whimsical like most dance is for girls. Or be sure to give partner work where the guy can "lead" if you will. It will fill the void of being a " man" and they wont feel so silly if they are dancing with a girl rather than alone. I hope that helps. Also for the girls...tell them that being tough and learning riffles( weapons) and what not is appealing to many audiences..see if that helps.

I hope I have been some help to you.

Thanks

Ashley :D

CowTown73

Post by CowTown73 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:12 am

Thank you very much for the advice. I hadn't thought about partnering them in any sense. That may be just the way to go with the kids. Thank you so much!

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 am

Also, where are you located? The other thing to do would be to network with experienced instructors in your area and see what kind of mentoring they can do (and maybe their experienced students as well). It's my philosophy and experience that most CG instructors are more than willing to share information and assistance, as more guards out there means more students experiencing our wonderful activity!
~twinmomma

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:14 pm

BUMP!

Just wanted to bring this thread back up. It is exciting reading about someone starting up a program and really trying to look at all the angles. Considering the opportunities and limitations...great start!

I, too, wonder where you are located. Perhaps there is a way to get time with an experienced instructor or someone from NCBA (judge) that will do a bit of time with you and/or your students to give you an even stronger start.

Good luck and let us all know if we can help. The sky is the limit so enjoy!
Diane Bledsoe

CowTown73

Post by CowTown73 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi again. Sorry about the slow response. We are located in Corning, CA. South of Redding, near Chico.

I will certainly look into contacting other instructors and/or judges. Does anyone know if Kathy Holton is still involved with color guard? I think I read she was judging for the NCBA. (I was in Art Holton's Band at Lincoln in the late 90's).

Today was our last parade for the season. They did such a good job, I am so proud of them!

We aren't ready for winterguard yet, so next week we are going to start blocking the routine for the spring, as well as recruiting for more students. Should give us plenty of time to look sharp for their very first competition.

This is so much fun. I can't honestly say if the kids are having more fun or if I am :)

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:07 am

How funny as I absolutely know where Corning is located; I livein Cottonwood. That is right between Redding and Red Bluff. Also, I travel through Corning almost daily as a pharmacuetical rep! Small world, eh?
Diane Bledsoe

CowTown73

Post by CowTown73 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Small world indeed! I have been to cottonwood several times. Not far away at all.

Do you have a color guard going there? Maybe I can get my group to come watch them perform. Would be great to have them know there are others so nearby.