Santa Cruz Percussion Afterthoughts

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Santa Cruz Percussion Afterthoughts

Post by backtobasics05 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:42 am

Just curious to see some people's thoughts on this past saturday's competition.

Personally I'm incredibly impressed by Golden Valley this year. They definitely continuing the progress they made last winter.

Jesse Bethel is even more impressive this year than they've been in the past. Their sound has finally matured.

Other thoughts?
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Santa Cruz Percussion Afterthoughts

Post by baritoneplayer » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:38 am

backtobasics05 wrote:Just curious to see some people's thoughts on this past saturday's competition.

Personally I'm incredibly impressed by Golden Valley this year. They definitely continuing the progress they made last winter.

Jesse Bethel is even more impressive this year than they've been in the past. Their sound has finally matured.

Other thoughts?
I agree with your thoughts on GV percussion performance. Daniel and Nicole have done a great job in cleaning up the units performance! I am sure that they are very proud of their students performance yesterday! :)

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:41 pm

I thought Wally did a good job with scores. I look forward to listening to the tapes.

My thought is about the number of trophies. Yes, I have ran a band review before - so I have an understanding what hosts have to endure. I do appreciate six places for percussion. Yet, taking a look at the way the auxiliary awards were distributed (16 awards for five divisions), I would love to see hosts consider distributing percussion trophies in the same manner (maybe two for each division with a sweepstakes award - total of 11). At this time percussion is the only caption for most of the NOR CAL band reviews where all 31 (or so) percussion units have to compete for the top six places.

Many of the bands have taken it to heart to only have one snare drum, one bass drum, and one cymbal player perform during parade march . Therefore, to give the other "percussionists" a sense of competition for the day... please consider spreading the love of the trophies. Just a thought.

To vote...attend the meetings...say "no to proxy voting."

Calistar
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Calistar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:56 pm

I got to see most of the final two divisions, so I didn't get to see Bethel earlier in the day.

Personally, I thought Rodriguez was better than Golden Valley. They played way more beats, had way more drill, and had good command of the music. GV was a bit cleaner but the book was not nearly as demanding. I know only .10 was the difference, but I foresee Rodriguez overtaking them in a week or two. I also liked Franklin and Atwater (in that order).

Cali.

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:26 pm

clean beats will win 9 out of 10 times

LivingLegend09
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LivingLegend09 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:55 pm

I dont know if anyone realiizes it but, Im not sure drill matters in street. If you think about it theres only one judge judging and they only judge one thing and thats music.
If we do the unthinkable, would it make us look crazy?

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 am

I remember them changing the sheets to include marching, is that not the case anymore?

backtobasics05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by backtobasics05 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:45 pm

The sheets have a GE sections which includes movement to effect but the GE score's amount is worth WAY less than the Music score. so yes movement does matter, but not really all that much.

Anyway how about we get back to talking about the lines we saw that day?
Looking forward to seein some lines turn it up this year...

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 am

bigmikedrivesbmw wrote:clean beats will win 9 out of 10 times
Fact!
Psalm 56 wrote: ...taking a look at the way the auxiliary awards were distributed (16 awards for five divisions), I would love to see hosts consider distributing percussion trophies in the same manner (maybe two for each division with a sweepstakes award - total of 11).
Many of the bands have taken it to heart to only have one snare drum, one bass drum, and one cymbal player perform during parade march .
You can have your whole band come through the percussion zone with drums if you want, size of the band isn't directly related to the size of the drumline in the parade venue.

From the NCBA website.
"STUDENTS WHO DO NOT MARCH ON A PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT DURING THE COURSE OF THE PARADE ROUTE MAY SWITCH TO A PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT PRIOR TO THE PERCUSSION COMPETITION ZONE. THESE INSTRUMENTS MAY EITHER BE CARRIED BY OTHER PERSONNEL OR PROVIDED BY BOOSTERS ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE.''
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

MalletQueen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletQueen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 pm

I've been going back and forth as to whether or not to reply because I don't want to offend or get anyone's nose out of joint. I finally decided I'm going to reply with this lead in: IN MY OPINION...

The structure of trophies should be consistent within each parade, i.e., if there is going to be trophies per division for auxiliary, then it should follow suit with percussion;BUT, if this is the case, there should be no Sweepstakes trophy. If however, there are overall trophies, i.e., no divisions, there should be a Sweepstakes trophy. This should be the same for auxiliary and percussion.

I, personally, don't like giving aux. and perc. trophies by division, but rather overall and including 1 place for every 3 entries, with an overall sweepstakes for aux. and perc.

Not that it was mentioned, but I also think there should be an overall sweepstakes for DM. Some, very few, parades have this I'm glad to see.

As stated in the first paragraph, it is my opinion and I hope I didn't put anyone off. Have a fantastic rest of the season!!!!

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:04 pm

MalletQueen: Would you use the size of the band, or the size of the drumline that actually competes in the percussion zone to determine the division?
(Including those kids that may not have been on percussion during the full band march)
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

MalletQueen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletQueen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Steven wrote:MalletQueen: Would you use the size of the band, or the size of the drumline that actually competes in the percussion zone to determine the division?
(Including those kids that may not have been on percussion during the full band march)
If it were based on division, it would not be a different division than that of the band. Some parades base the band divisions on school size, some on band size; the aux. and perc. would compete in that division. But remember, this is not my preference for competition.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Steven wrote:
bigmikedrivesbmw wrote:clean beats will win 9 out of 10 times
Fact!
Psalm 56 wrote: ...taking a look at the way the auxiliary awards were distributed (16 awards for five divisions), I would love to see hosts consider distributing percussion trophies in the same manner (maybe two for each division with a sweepstakes award - total of 11).
Many of the bands have taken it to heart to only have one snare drum, one bass drum, and one cymbal player perform during parade march .
You can have your whole band come through the percussion zone with drums if you want, size of the band isn't directly related to the size of the drumline in the parade venue.

From the NCBA website.
"STUDENTS WHO DO NOT MARCH ON A PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT DURING THE COURSE OF THE PARADE ROUTE MAY SWITCH TO A PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT PRIOR TO THE PERCUSSION COMPETITION ZONE. THESE INSTRUMENTS MAY EITHER BE CARRIED BY OTHER PERSONNEL OR PROVIDED BY BOOSTERS ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE.''

Hmmmm...interesting interpretation of what I wrote and interesting response to what I wrote. Don't know how the quote from the NCBA WEBSITE has to do with what I wrote - suggestion that site hosts give a first and/or second place percussion trophy for each division for percussion oppose to the top six OVERALL. But, I am sure you will explain that to me.

Let me attempt to make my point. 16 awards for auxiliary and six for percussion "ENSEMBLES??????" Just an idea that an award for each division would be nice. WHY? To give those smaller schools / bands an opportunity to receive a trophy for their work. So, since you have knowledge/facts --- when was it the last time an NCBA percussion "ensemble" for the "E" Division won a trophy out of some 31 drum lines..let alone a top three finish?

As you know I am not at a Division E School...so I am simply looking at all the divisions. Looking forward to your research and response. Including why you oppose the idea of a host giving a first and/or second place trophy per division for percussion.

To vote...attend the meetings...Say NO TO PROXY VOTING.

MalletQueen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletQueen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:32 am

Hmmmm...interesting interpretation of what I wrote and interesting response to what I wrote. Don't know how the quote from the NCBA WEBSITE has to do with what I wrote - suggestion that site hosts give a first and/or second place percussion trophy for each division for percussion oppose to the top six OVERALL. But, I am sure you will explain that to me.
Let me attempt to make my point. 16 awards for auxiliary and six for percussion "ENSEMBLES??????" Just an idea that an award for each division would be nice. WHY? To give those smaller schools / bands an opportunity to receive a trophy for their work. So, since you have knowledge/facts --- when was it the last time an NCBA percussion "ensemble" for the "E" Division won a trophy out of some 31 drum lines..let alone a top three finish?

As you know I am not at a Division E School...so I am simply looking at all the divisions. Looking forward to your research and response. Including why you oppose the idea of a host giving a first and/or second place trophy per division for percussion.
Because there are not that many band reviews that go down to Division E, I will use the example of this year's Santa Cruz Band Review; it went to Division/Class D. Looking at the percussion scores it loooks like Livingston, in Class D, took 5th place; and by the way, Livingston percussion also took 3rd place at Antioch; also being in the smallest of the school divisions. Livingston is an example of a small school doing something right and I have a feeling we are going to be hearing their name many times this year. Keep up the good work!!!

Another example, although not in the smallest school divsion, but the second to the smallest, is Jesse Bethel. At Santa Cruz they placed 1st, and they are a much heard from and placing group, yet they are not from one of the larger schools; but this is a name that is heard at many awards ceremonies.

I didn't have to go very far back to find these examples. They are from this year.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:13 pm

MalletQueen wrote:Hmmmm...interesting interpretation of what I wrote and interesting response to what I wrote. Don't know how the quote from the NCBA WEBSITE has to do with what I wrote - suggestion that site hosts give a first and/or second place percussion trophy for each division for percussion oppose to the top six OVERALL. But, I am sure you will explain that to me.

Because there are not that many band reviews that go down to Division E, I will use the example of this year's Santa Cruz Band Review; it went to Division/Class D. Looking at the percussion scores it loooks like Livingston, in Class D, took 5th place; and by the way, Livingston percussion also took 3rd place at Antioch; also being in the smallest of the school divisions. Livingston is an example of a small school doing something right and I have a feeling we are going to be hearing their name many times this year. Keep up the good work!!!

Another example, although not in the smallest school divsion, but the second to the smallest, is Jesse Bethel. At Santa Cruz they placed 1st, and they are a much heard from and placing group, yet they are not from one of the larger schools; but this is a name that is heard at many awards ceremonies.

I didn't have to go very far back to find these examples. They are from this year.
No ... you didn't need to go far to let us know that there are indeed some schools in the smaller divisions doing well (got it)...but again...I will attempt to make my point which you did not adress...there were thirty one percussion groups and six places for percussion...there were 38 auxiliary groups and 16 trophies. Look for a thread on this topic because as with other topics....a tangent has occurred.

To vote...attend meetings...say no to proxy voting. :soap: