Guys in Colorguard

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

ChamberKid209
New Recruit
New Recruit

Guys in Colorguard

Post by ChamberKid209 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:33 pm

I've heard very many things about this topic. People say that men shouldn't and a lot of people say they're amazing. What is your opinion on this subject.

If I could I would do it, but it would personally be too hard to do both drum major and winter guard comp. In a way drum majoring is similar to colorguard. My opinion. Feel free to disagree, but please no hate PMs.

Quote from friend. Not part my high school.- I think it should be females only in fall and mix in winter.

I totally disagree with what he said. Extremely rude. Like I said I would do it if I could.

Sorry for all the edits. When I posted this topic I was really tired and my iPod was about to die, so I was trying to get it done in a hurry. :compute:
Last edited by ChamberKid209 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Guys in Colorguard

Post by Chaporch » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:46 pm

two words . . .

James Logan

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Coming from someone who had to put of a fight to be a guy in a marching colorguard...
The idea of colorguard being a female activity is INCREDIBLY sexist and I absolutely think it should be an intermixed activity. Just as girls can be outstanding sports players, guys make for AMAZING colorguard members. The idea that the activity should be gender-defined aligns with a general chauvinistic approach that promotes intolerance, which IMO is unacceptable. Equal rights go both ways...something that many people tend to forget.
The point is that nobody should be prevented from partaking in an activity that they could potentially love and have a passion for, regardless of how one might think it looks weird/stupid/bad/awkward etc.
When I taught at San Mateo, we had more guys than girls on the colorguard, and that mix of kids was the most fun to work with. The guys and girls were all so accepting of each other, and there was never a "guys on colorguard" issue. I hope to see this trend continue to happen, as colorguard can be as "masculine" or "feminine" as you make it.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by baritoneplayer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:50 pm

ChamberKid209 wrote:What do you think about having guys in coloruard.

I think it should be only female in fall and a mix in winter.
The two male color guard members in their first year in the Cardinal Regime are doing a great job! So....... good job guys :!:

jaybird3
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jaybird3 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Guys in Colorguard are simply amazing.
true the majority of the guard are female. . . but that doesn't mean males cant. . . because that really is sexist.
Males in fall, spring, or winter guards bring a whole different strength and element to the field.
So at the end of the day; Males on colorguard is AMAZING.
kudos to all the males who are talented in what they do.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
jb <3

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Why on earth would fall be relegated just to girls in colorguard? That's ridiculous. Guys who want to be in colorguard should have the entire activity open to them.
~twinmomma

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:37 pm

I WISH we could get some guys on our guard lol. In my 10 years with Vanden we've had only 1 guy who tried out and made the team. He was so much fun to teach and the girls loved having a guy on their line. II wish we could get more guys interested in the sport!

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok, I'm curious....why would you want to have it be only females in the fall? I have a different opinion from you so I would like to know your thought process and why the division would be best...please let us know your ideas.

I see so many good reasons to allow male or female to be a part of the guard. It is so about heart and skill. Every person in a group brings unique qualities that can benefit the whole. Why limit the experience for some because of their sex?

I have a question that probably is a whole new topic...what do you do at auditions when you find people with heart and a powerful work ethic but the natural skill is somewhat lacking? Do you let them in or have to turn them away? Your thoughts...
Diane Bledsoe

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Is that a question for everyone or just the orignial poster? I have my own opinions on this but wonder what others think also

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:41 am

It's open to any and all. I would encourage the original poster to be one of those responding but it is definitely open to all. Thanks for asking.
Diane Bledsoe

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 am

I have a question that probably is a whole new topic...what do you do at auditions when you find people with heart and a powerful work ethic but the natural skill is somewhat lacking? Do you let them in or have to turn them away? Your thoughts...
In the years I coached, this happened to me much more than not. I built a program around kids like this, because in my opinion, I can teach them how to spin a flag/rifle/dance but I can't teach heart and work ethic.

Case in point - one year I had a girl try out who had slight cerebral palsy and as a result her left side lagged a bit behind her right. It was hardly noticeable when she marched, but doing skills and tricks that required both hands she was often behind the rest of the group. She never asked for special attention, or extra help. She trudged through along with all the other newbies. 3 years later, she was my captain, doing solos on the field and in winterguard. She was a strong leader and the skills she learned in colorguard helped strengthen her left side to the point that there was no difference in her abilities left handed vs. right handed. At her final senior year performance, she had mono - convinced her doctor to let her perform, and then collapsed exhausted in my arms in the foyer of the gym.

I would take 25 of her over a highly talented but whiny and full of bad attitude team members every day of the week. My philosophy is that colorguard is a vehicle for teaching students how to be successful adults, through learning teamwork, time management, working towards a common goal, etc...
~twinmomma

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 am

I am so much in agreement with you. In fact, I do applaud those that have to whittle down so they don't have too many in a program but I would still rather have additional staff and let just about anyone have a way to participate.

I will never forget a skinny freshman girl that rarely smiled, looked thru her hair when she even looked at you...she struggled to really get the basics but was an incredibly hard worker. A little extra encouragement and support helped her grow as a person. As a senior, she was a co-captain and inspired many others. She walked tall, moved her hair so that she could confidently show her beauty. Was she ever the best performer? No. What she someone I would count on over the superstars? You betcha!

I don't learn fast but work hard. I appreciate the natural gifts and skills of the superstar but I will always make room for someone that wants it bad enough. It happened for me with Blue Devils and I will pay it forward.

Bravo to all that have the heart. If I have to, I will weave you in and out of a performance as we grow your skills but I am going to work with you.
Diane Bledsoe

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 pm

I completely agree.
A couple of my former students now teach the jr high school (our one and only feeder school for the colorguard program). Its good because i can talk with them easily about their students. When i go and visit them before we hold auditions the first thing i always ask is what are their attitudes like. If theres a girl who is nothing but trouble i will turn her away. It doesnt happen often but ive done it before.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE new freshman for the most part. They're quiet and eager to please. They havent been tainted by all the high school drama yet lol.
I will pretty much take anyone who i think is trainable. But over the years ive found that i have an easier time teaching the girls who are slower but absoloutely LOVE what they do, over the ones who are quick learners but have this know it all attitude about them. Its always the girls who didnt do great in auditions that end up being fantastic performers. They're the ones going home at the end of the day and working non stop on their routine because they have such a passion to be good performers.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Both of these questions tie into my response.

I have four males in my color guard of 17. They are a joy to work with, and I have not once, or ever thought that having males in the color guard is "not" the thing to do. I worked with a band director in the past that would push boys to do percussion instead of color guard, because boys in color guard was not acceptable.

Which leads me into Di's question. I will teach ANY student that has the desire to learn. Doesn't matter if they are not naturally talented. My philosophy is to educate my students and allow them to grow to their fullest potential, and is most def. not driven by the "W". This year, my guard is very new. But they work very hard, and my staff and I challenge them every day to push beyond their comfort zones. They all do these things with great attitudes and that is what I consider to be a successful program.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 pm

This is the first year in 2 that we have had all girls. And when we had a guy on the team he was more outgoing, more enthusiastic and learned better then the girls did. He had to go through being made fun of by the stupid general public but he brought alot to the group. I know Ben is an incredible guard member and I know he brings alot to SJSU.. so no it shouldnt ever be based on sex. In the spring I usually have guys in WG and they have better upper body strength and better attitudes generally then the females do. If more guys did the activity it would be more widely accepted I think......... I mean most guys( who make fun of guys in guard) I think are jealous that they dont have the skill to toss extremely high with a weapon or spin very fast...
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher